LG V30
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #2,658 of 6,140
Guys... holy hell.

GAME HAS CHANGED.

No more external amps or DACs. No longer any such thing as non-portable headphones.

The limits of this phone's capability are only existent dependent on your source material and headphone quality.

Running just the hi-fi setting on Tidal renders truly incredible sound... I can't imagine what will happen when the app adds MQA functionality for phones.

I won't get into too much detail right now because I've only had it for 9 hours, and most of that time was spent setting it up to my preferences... but I'll give a very brief impression:

As has been well documented with this DAC chip, it provides a natural- albeit somewhat cold sound. This is easily altered in the settings for the DAC, but with everything flat, and using relatively neutral headphones- that's what I've gotten; an incredibly clean and natural sound. I think the most important factor for the joy that comes from this phone is headphone choice... if you like neutral sound, or basshead sound, or sparkle- whatever the case may be- this phone will deliver the purest signal possible and let the headphones do their thing.

I'm no expert, and I've certainly never spent much time with high-end headphones or portable players, but I grew up around live music and I know what things should sound like... with that said, I'm completely blown away thus far.

Tomorrow I will be removing the mojos and iCans from my Amazon list, because I have no use for them. And then I'm going to give away my Dragonfly because I don't need it either... no more different equipment to acquire certain sound... from now on it will be phone and headphones- only the headphones will vary for what I want to hear that day.

I LOVE THIS PHONE

I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing just using SHP9500 streaming Spotify extreme quality.

The best sound I've heard in my home is Grado 325e plugged directly into headphone jack of a well endowed Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Second to that, slightly more convenient though, was PSB M4u2 into Sony PHA 1A amp into iPad streaming Amazon Music.

This v30+ with any of the three above mentioned headphones sounds as good or better than the Sony amp into iPad, with the complete convenience of just walking great around the house plugged into the v30+ in my pocket.

Will try Tidal soon.

Have had to make a fee in my Spotify playlists just for tracks that sounds especially good with the v30.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2,659 of 6,140
Been enjoying the AT&T version since last Friday. I don't think the bloatware is a deterrent. Just disable the apps you don't want and they're outta site outta mind.
The sound from the V30 is the best of all my portable and desktop rigs and I have been trying several over the last few years. It really makes you want to listen to your stuff all over again.
Schiit Bitfrost to Schiit Asgard2, Lumia 950xl straight up, lumia to dragonfly 1.2, lumia or dragonfly to Lake People G109A, Zenfone 3, etc.. etc.
LG V30 beats them all. The clarity and separation of the instruments is incredible. Bass is solid and deep. No harshness on top.

I run them to Mr Speakers Ether C (Planar Magnetics) which are not that efficient but do have a low impedance ~25 or so so the higher gain in the V30 does not kick in unless I plug in the headphone 1/4 to 1/8 adapter cable first, then the Ether headphones; then the high gain mode is active and you notice a increase in volume but it is not really necessary. The regular mode is loud enough but you have more headroom on more demanding cans in high-gain. It is easy to get it into that mode with any adapter cable (mine came with HD650s).
The HD650s are very demanding and it drives them with ease. No other phone has ever come close to running them properly. They toggle the high gain automatically.

Wow. That's great. So the v30 can drive hd650?

Before v30 I had the Galaxy s6 edge, I tried plugging the 650 in and could barely hear them. Didn't even bother plugging in the 800.

Any idea how far up the v30 can go in terms of driving cans that demand powerful amp and dac?

For me the battery life of the v30+ actually matches the audio quality in terms of how much it shocks me. I literally don't even need to look at battery life anymore. I come home with 83% battery after a 13 hour day of light use. I literally only now can use the charging pads I bought years ago for my Samsung phones. Because all I need is a little top-up from them after work before going out.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #2,660 of 6,140
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,662 of 6,140
How is everyone dealing with the lack of removable battery on here?

Last phone I had with removable battery was a Note 4 & bought a spare battery. Had phone 3 years and never used spare battery !

I'd say no issue with modern phones unless you want to keep over 3 year. The LG V30 is great for a big screen phone. I'd say same or even better than the S8+ and that's without power saving options set. Saying that, 80% of my usage is just music playback via UAPP Tidal wifi streaming :) Hours of music with not much screen use.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #2,663 of 6,140
Wow. That's great. So the v30 can drive hd650?

Before v30 I had the Galaxy s6 edge, I tried plugging the 650 in and could barely hear them. Didn't even bother plugging in the 800.

Any idea how far up the v30 can go in terms of driving cans that demand powerful amp and dac?

For me the battery life of the v30+ actually matches the audio quality in terms of how much it shocks me. I literally don't e enough need to look at battery life anymore. I come home with 83% battery after 13 hour day of light use earlier hours day. I literally only now can use the charging pads I bought years ago for my Samsung phones. Because all I need is a little top up from them after work before going out.

Well I have HD660S which is only slightly easier to drive than the 300Ohm HD650 and V30 auto sets to high impedance mode and only need to have volume at around 60-70% of max.

They can supposedly drive 600 Ohm !

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #2,667 of 6,140
from a first contact i´m really surprised about v30, specially with uapp

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,668 of 6,140
Next week I'll buy myself a V30 as an (audio) upgrade from a Google Pixel XL. But in advance I've already bought uapp and man that's a nice piece of software. I used to only use Neutron for Hires playback, but to my ears uapp sounds better. And with Tidal streaming possible (and as it seems needed for proper 44.1 playback on V30) i can't wait to listen to it with my B&O H6 1st gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back