LG V30
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,066 of 6,140

YouTube doesn't (yet) appear in that menu. Hopefully it will one day soon...

I have the phone for two weeks now and I tried very hard to like it but couldn’t. Listening through er4-xr everything is swamped in a massive soundstage (in par with schiit jot with dac) but the depth is very hollow and the vocal is distant and veiled.

The soundstage can be unnaturally wide using the default filter setting. Try one of the other settings. As for the vocals being distant/veiled, well... I love the ER4XR. I own a pair too. I use them because I love their isolation and their total lack of occlusion effects. But I use them in the knowledge that being somewhat veiled is a feature/side-effect of the ER4XR. I don't want to have to go into hiding, so I'd never publish the following on the ER4 thread, but some of the fans there that keep saying the ER4 derivatives are the most resolving IEMs ever made need to hear a few other IEMs, like the KSE1500, the Xelento, or the outstanding FLC8S. They're all much sharper and much less veiled than the ER4XR. I can understand how other devices would pair better with the ER4XR though - the QP1R has better reach at both ends of the spectrum, which the ER4XR really needs (in particular, for my tastes, I still find its sub-bass slightly lacking).

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,067 of 6,140
Yeah I'm returning mine too I'm disappointed. The crispy spacious sound I heard fresh out the box is now gone one my second v30. I have a v20 and v10 I'm going for the note 8 and Black Friday is around the corner.

Sorry it didn't work out :frowning2: You felt the sound changed (for the worse) with time?

P.S. One thought on this. I had some communications a while ago with WindowsX (the creator of various Android DAP custom firmwares) and it's his belief that pretty much everything on these devices affects sound quality. Cellular, wifi, bluetooth radios, apps pulling in data in the background, etc., are fairly obvious. He also claims even things like gapless playback buffers deteriorate SQ. I don't know if it's too late to do this experiment, but I wonder, @milkyspray, if you'd get back the original sound you liked by a factory reset and trying again with none of your regular apps installed, airplane mode on, etc. I know that's not how you'd ultimately want to have your phone configured, but I wonder if there are specific (perhaps data-heavy) apps that we might want to avoid, or whose background behavior we might want to moderate.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,068 of 6,140
Highly recommend you ditch Spotify for the testing. You may be running into resampling issues with the dac. IMHO v30 and e70 technical and unforgiving, so if something is off, you will hear it. Try flac or hifi with the lg music app and or usb audio player pro.

Just signed up to Tidal (Hifi) this weekend. Will see if this is a noticeable improvement.

Not really interested in tethering my smartphone to a USB DAC (I have TDA1543A NOS one made by Audiosector from some time ago). For home listening I have a 4x BB1704K DAC which is great. the V30 is for sounds on the move. That said, my 128GB Sandisk Micro SD card came today, so that's gone straight in.

The supplied B&O headphones are strictly for back-up only as far as I'm concerned, having had a brief listen.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,069 of 6,140
Ah, screw it, I bought UAPP anyway. Time for me to learn from folk around here. In for a penny, ...

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,070 of 6,140
See - I was right though, it was debatable, because look - we went there :wink: I don't want to burst any bubbles or get off topic as this one has been beaten to death in the sound science forums. But on the topic of a less-severely beaten argument - the merit of pulse density modulation... The few DSD albums I own sound amazing (most obviously sound different as they're re-masters or vinyl drops), however there seems to be some argument that PDM is inherently inferior to PCM. Have you read Rob Watts' opinion on DSD? (Search for him on the Chord threads.) Rob knows infinitely more about this subject than I do, but if you've read Rob's criticisms of DSD and disagree with him, I'd love to hear your side of the argument. (But maybe we could do that via pm, so as not to detail this thread?)

If I were you, I'd do those SACD to DSD conversions. They'll come in handy at some point in the future anyway.

My favorite part of DSD is actually something i used to NOT like. Just like my Conrad-Johnson MET1/Exasound E28-based system, there is no tone control adjustments in DSD to color the sound...but your system better be up to the task of handling the all-channel full range signal! J River and Exasound is perfect combo. Yes..it will take a great while to extract all my DSD ISO, but it would probably be worth it.

As for this phone, after sending back my original order of a Note 8 due to just being TOO big...I'm very tempted to go for the Sprint V30+ version with the 128GB storage, 6-month subscription to Tidal for MQA &Google Daydream&content promo, which expires in a couple days. I also just realized the LG music player (on my V10) can play local 'cloud' devices as well--I'm assuming it can also see SD cards and OTG flash drives.

Speaking of the V10 vs V30...does the V10 really have a more powerful/cleaner amp? I think it was separate compared to the future versions. I have the coveted cream & gold Verizon version too...and the great Final Audio Hope VI underrated headphones too.

Attachments

• 20171104_153056.jpg
    20171104_153056.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,071 of 6,140
Just signed up to Tidal (Hifi) this weekend. Will see if this is a noticeable improvement.

Not really interested in tethering my smartphone to a USB DAC (I have TDA1543A NOS one made by Audiosector from some time ago). For home listening I have a 4x BB1704K DAC which is great. the V30 is for sounds on the move. That said, my 128GB Sandisk Micro SD card came today, so that's gone straight in.

The supplied B&O headphones are strictly for back-up only as far as I'm concerned, having had a brief listen.
usb audio player pro you can stream Tidal. Tidal has the resampling issue as well so I use usb audio player pro to listen to tidal. I don't use a third party dac just usb player pro app, v20 and e70.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,072 of 6,140
YouTube doesn't (yet) appear in that menu. Hopefully it will one day soon...

The soundstage can be unnaturally wide using the default filter setting. Try one of the other settings. As for the vocals being distant/veiled, well... I love the ER4XR. I own a pair too. I use them because I love their isolation and their total lack of occlusion effects. But I use them in the knowledge that being somewhat veiled is a feature/side-effect of the ER4XR. I don't want to have to go into hiding, so I'd never publish the following on the ER4 thread, but some of the fans there that keep saying the ER4 derivatives are the most resolving IEMs ever made need to hear a few other IEMs, like the KSE1500, the Xelento, or the outstanding FLC8S. They're all much sharper and much less veiled than the ER4XR. I can understand how other devices would pair better with the ER4XR though - the QP1R has better reach at both ends of the spectrum, which the ER4XR really needs (in particular, for my tastes, I still find its sub-bass slightly lacking).
Yes the v20/v30 are technical and revealing. Too often they get blamed for revealing the faults in iem imho.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,073 of 6,140
Maybe a redundant question but I didnt quite get it: streaming Tidal on V30 through either Tidal player or UAPP plugin will produce resampling? Thx.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,075 of 6,140
Maybe a redundant question but I didnt quite get it: streaming Tidal on V30 through either Tidal player or UAPP plugin will produce resampling? Thx.

Yes, it resamples to 48kHz as android limitation.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #1,078 of 6,140
sorry im unaware of this

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #1,079 of 6,140
You sure? :wink: How are you downloading or streaming > 48 kHz sample-rate tracks from the current Android Tidal app?!?

It is 44.1 kHz song but it will resamples to 48kHz. You can go ask to app developer. I am really sure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back