LG V30
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,081 of 6,140
Wait what? So why does LG advertise 32 bit 193 Kz if only the highest android supports is 48 kHz?

Does the android Tidal app support MQA? if not, any information on if or when it will get support?

I think (?) what @artpiggo is saying is 44 kHz files will upsample to the native 48 kHz via apps other than the native LG music player. There is no way (at least that I know of) to get higher than 44 kHz files streamed via Tidal, so MQA support (with or without downsampling) is moot right now. The V30 could support it, but it looks like it's going to take some work from the Tidal devs.

Hi-res files are supported in the native LG music app.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,082 of 6,140
I think (?) what @artpiggo is saying is 44 kHz files will upsample to the native 48 kHz via apps other than the native LG music player. There is no way (at least that I know of) to get higher than 44 kHz files streamed via Tidal, so MQA support (with or without downsampling) is moot right now. The V30 could support it, but it looks like it's going to take some work from the Tidal devs.

Hi-res files are supported in the native LG music app.

Okay, cool. Thanks. So what's a good app/store on android to buy hires albums that work with the LG music app?

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #1,085 of 6,140
Wait what? So why does LG advertise 32 bit 193 Kz if only the highest android supports is 48 kHz?

Does the android Tidal app support MQA? if not, any information on if or when it will get support?

I talked about third party app.

Via stock music app, it will get bit perfect playback. And I think neutron music player should support it via HiRes Setting.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,086 of 6,140
It is 44.1 kHz song but it will resamples to 48kHz. You can go ask to app developer. I am really sure. :)

Thanks for the answer.

Boy this potential V30 deal turned bad pretty fast.
I'm heavily relying on Tidal streaming, not sure how bad resampling is gonna affect quality (listening mostly to lossy 320kbps while comuting and lossless at the desk) so I better stay away to make sure.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,087 of 6,140
Via stock music app, it will get bit perfect playback.

Well this is interesting. I'd assumed that too - and was seeing exactly this for hi-res and DSD files, but going back to 44 kHz FLAC, according to my Hugo 2, I'm seeing 48 kHz upsampling, even through the native LG music app. Puzzling. I'm looking into this...

P.S. Not sure if this is related, but the artifacts @kundica and I were hearing at low volumes through sensitive IEMs were only present with redbook FLAC, not with hi-res formats.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,089 of 6,140
I am not sure why people don't just use the stock player and eliminate doubt.

I guess because folks want to their use streaming services? I'm finding that USB out from the native LG music app is upsampling 44 kHz files to 48 kHz. HO may still be ok - I still need to check. (USB Audio Player Pro outputs all PCM in its original sample rate, so I'd assumed the LG music app would do the same, but apparently not.)

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,090 of 6,140
I guess because folks want to their use streaming services? I'm finding that USB out from the native LG music app is upsampling 44 kHz files to 48 kHz. HO may still be ok - I still need to check. (USB Audio Player Pro outputs all PCM in its original sample rate, so I'd assumed the LG music app would do the same, but apparently not.)

I'm sticking with my Dragonfly Red with UAPP. It streams correctly with Tidal. If you have a full capable DAC like the Meridian it even passws through MQA. My DFR does MQA with PC but not via UAPP as its not full MQA (only 2nd unfold MQA so still needs Tidal unfold on PC to do first unfold.). Plus, it not exactly big/heavy anyway and doesn't need charging.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,091 of 6,140
That's because the V30 doesn't have a ten band parametric equalizer nor a Burr Brown Dac. The point is there are better sounding DAPs for half the price.

If you're EQ'ing the balls off of your DAP that's a completely different argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,092 of 6,140
Correct.

The native LG music app is (so far) the only app I'm aware of that can play PCM, DSD and MQA unadulterated through the ES9218P DAC. Most other apps are still using an older Android api for querying the DAC, which will result in all audio being converted to 48khz PCM even with output via the ESS DAC. Of course, there is a school of thought that higher-than-CD sample rates and bit depths are all snake oil anyway :wink: I've never seen a coherent counter-argument to Monty's blog on this subject:

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So, although it might be nice for the specs, I think it's debatable how much you'd really be losing anyway with those 3rd party apps.

Gentlemen,

There is a thread on xda which discusses this topic in reference to the v20. The list of players which use the LG Hifi DAC may also apply to the v30.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/themes/list-music-players-dac-t3536815

I am guessing that few, if any, of the 3rd party apps which can access the hifi DAC can play DSD.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,093 of 6,140
usb audio player pro you can stream Tidal. Tidal has the resampling issue as well so I use usb audio player pro to listen to tidal. I don't use a third party dac just usb player pro app, v20 and e70.

Okay - just to be clear - streaming TIDAL through the UAPP app will *not* result in default resampling to 48kHz? It leaves tracks alone, like the native LG app?

If so, great. That could work.

___

So, now using UAPP with bit perfect (when possible), variable bit rate settings (android bit rate) selected and linked this to my TIDAL Hifi account. Currently got Pat Metheny (Day Trip) playing at 44.1kHz and 16bit/857kbps playing on the V30.

This is better. Significantly so. The E70s are also pleasing me by revealing the differences and still sounding true yet discriminating. A little progress at last. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,094 of 6,140
Bad rumor alert: Does anyone have the Sprint V30+ version and can confirm they didn't yank out the LG stock apps this time like the yahoos did with the V20..including the photo viewer crucial stock music player??? They want to "streamline" the installed apps...yeah...how bout dumping your carrier garbage instead and leave the pre-installed stuff alone!

Obviously that's a deal-breaker if they messed with the LG apps...again!

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,095 of 6,140
Bad rumor alert: Does anyone have the Sprint V30+ version and can confirm they didn't yank out the LG stock apps this time like the yahoos did with the V20..including the photo viewer crucial stock music player??? They want to "streamline" the installed apps...yeah...how bout dumping your carrier garbage instead and leave the pre-installed stuff alone!

Obviously that's a deal-breaker if they messed with the LG apps...again!

I can confirm that my V30+ from sprint has everything LG. Stock music app is there, hurray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back