LG V30
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #1,291 of 6,140
Guys, I'm not affiliated with any music player. I am not trying to claim any player is the "best". I am simply trying to offer help and advice to V30 users. But I can show you - if you are genuinely interested in learning - that Poweramp on the V30 produces significantly more audible and measurable error than Neutron when playing back 44/16 FLAC. I'll also upload some demos for you to hear - you won't need to do double blind A/B tests - the differences are extremely obvious. If you want to still use Poweramp after that and you still think it's the "best" player for the V30, I'll be happy for you and your subjective preference. I'll think you're nuts, but it's your choice. Now if you're going tell me after this that Poweramp is objectively the better player, then we need a dictionary more than we need audio demos or THD+N measurements. If you're not sure what that is either, we'll need to get a thesaurus and start working towards the letter D...

I'm not endorsing any player over another either and agree with this post. These artifacts are being introduced by the android mixer, and any app not bypassing it and outputting via the DAC in direct mode are subject to them. Maybe people don't notice it, maybe they even prefer it. But we know for a fact the android mixer is resampling to 16/48 regardless of source and we can verify via adb which apps are bypassing the android mixer and which ones are not.

Edit: If people want a subjective comparison from me to another DAC, this phone sounds much better to my ears than my Fiio E17 and my previous phone, an HTC 10.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,292 of 6,140
So really weird thing started happening yesterday, or maybe it's been happening all this time but only now I notice ever since I started using the app LG HiFi Status to determine which mode I'm in when listening to music. LG HiFi Status will sometimes read my low impendance earphones as Aux and will revert back to low impendance mode when unplug and replug my earphones and seems to happen randomly again when I unplug and replug for any reason or if my device is idle without use for some time, this doesn't seem like its cosmetic because I do notice when the app is reading my earphones in aux mode the volume is higher than normal with more bass. However, my higher impendance headphones are always are read correctly and perform as they should. Is this a bug within the app itself or within the OS or a hardware issue?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #1,293 of 6,140
So really weird thing started happening yesterday, or maybe it's been happening all this time but only now I notice ever since I started using the app LG HiFi Status to determine which mode I'm in when listening to music. LG HiFi Status will sometimes read my low impendance earphones as Aux and will revert back to low impendance mode when unplug and replug my earphones and seems to happen randomly again when I unplug and replug for any reason or if my device is idle without use for some time, this doesn't seem like its cosmetic because I do notice when the app is reading my earphones in aux mode the volume is higher than normal with more bass. However, my higher impendance headphones are always are read correctly and perform as they should. Is this a bug within the app itself or within the OS or a hardware issue?
It sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere on your IEM cable. Do you have any other cable for this IEM (or any other low-impedance IEM) you can test?

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,295 of 6,140
I feel weird that I'm just over here using Tidal/Google and y'all getting all intense about Poweramp/Neutron etc.

Don't feel weird, still above average audio even with a lossy source. But if you want to take full advantage of high-res audio playback unfortunately you need to find an app that supports it or suffer the android resampling. This is not something unique to this phone, this is an android issue more than anything.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,296 of 6,140
Don't feel weird, still above average audio even with a lossy source. But if you want to take full advantage of high-res audio playback unfortunately you need to find an app that supports it or suffer the android resampling. This is not something unique to this phone, this is an android issue more than anything.

Eh, I've ABX'd lossless with my desktop rig and the difference is negligible to the point of nonexistence, let alone getting upset over sample rates, especially since I'm not using flagship IEMs with the v30.

TBH if I were THAT picky about things I'd be using my Mojo and it would be a moot point. This is more a case of "sounds great enough to not warrant the Mojo" over "I can hear every since part of the bitdepth."

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,297 of 6,140
Eh, I've ABX'd lossless with my desktop rig and the difference is negligible to the point of nonexistence, let alone getting upset over sample rates, especially since I'm not using flagship IEMs with the v30.

TBH if I were THAT picky about things I'd be using my Mojo and it would be a moot point. This is more a case of "sounds great enough to not warrant the Mojo" over "I can hear every since part of the bitdepth."

If you're happy, I'm happy. My point about bit perfect playback still stands, whether you can hear it or not is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,298 of 6,140
Does PlayerPro with DSP Pack have resampling issues as well?

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,299 of 6,140
Does PlayerPro with DSP Pack have resampling issues as well?

If you are familiar with using adb you can execute the command 'adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger' and view the resulting debug data to determine the audio device and samplerate of your output. There is more information in past pages of this thread and my post history where I detail more specifically what to look for in the output.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,300 of 6,140
Guys, I'm not affiliated with any music player. I am not trying to claim any player is the "best". I am simply trying to offer help and advice to V30 users. But I can show you - if you are genuinely interested in learning - that Poweramp on the V30 produces significantly more audible and measurable error than Neutron when playing back 44/16 FLAC. I'll also upload some demos for you to hear - you won't need to do double blind A/B tests - the differences are extremely obvious. If you want to still use Poweramp after that and you still think it's the "best" player for the V30, I'll be happy for you and your subjective preference. I'll think you're nuts, but it's your choice. Now if you're going tell me after this that Poweramp is objectively the better player, then we need a dictionary more than we need audio demos or THD+N measurements. If you're not sure what that is either, we'll need to get a thesaurus and start working towards the letter D...
By all means post your data, no one will object to that....

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,301 of 6,140
Please let us know your experiences on the V30 with the above setting in Neutron. I expect it will be very different to your experiences on a Galaxy phone :wink:

Neutron still reigns supreme on the V30, IMHO. It's the only player I'm aware of that can play back all PCM at native sample rates.
OH MY GOD!

I just came back with the V30+ and WOW. I'm actually not talking about the V30, i'm talking about Neutron!

The stock app was good but instantly installed Poweramp to see the difference and it was negligible.

I then installed Neutron and was BLOWN AWAY. Everything was perfect. I also turned on "Generic Driver" and "Follow Source Frequency." :)

Everythings hits with such precision and power, so so happy. Bar firmly raised to lofty heights. Thanks guys!

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,302 of 6,140
OH MY GOD!

I just came back with the V30+ and WOW. I'm actually not talking about the V30, i'm talking about Neutron!

The stock app was good but instantly installed Poweramp to see the difference and it was negligible.

I then installed Neutron and was BLOWN AWAY. Everything was perfect. I also turned on "Generic Driver" and "Follow Source Frequency." :)

Everythings hits with such precision and power, so so happy. Bar firmly raised to lofty heights. Thanks guys!

So we can conclude that Neutron didn't go well with your A8? :dt880smile:

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,305 of 6,140
If you are familiar with using adb you can execute the command 'adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger' and view the resulting debug data to determine the audio device and samplerate of your output. There is more information in past pages of this thread and my post history where I detail more specifically what to look for in the output.

Not familiar with ADB. I will look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back