LG V30
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,306 of 6,140
Seems like Neutron resamples the 16bit files to 24bit. I'm a V20 user.
Do you guys have the same problem as me when using V30 with Neutron?

Here is a pic of what is displayed in Neutron playing a 16/44.1 FLAC file (with "Generic Driver" and "Follow Source Frequency" ON):

capture_2017-11-15-15-17-36.png

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,307 of 6,140
Seems like Neutron resamples the 16bit files to 24bit. I'm a V20 user.
Do you guys have the same problem as me when using V30 with Neutron?

Here is a pic of what is displayed in Neutron playing a 16/44.1 FLAC file (with "Generic Driver" and "Follow Source Frequency" ON):

capture_2017-11-15-15-17-36.png
This is correct. You're doing the right thing here with your settings. It's the same with the V30, but it's not a problem. This is not re-sampling - it's bit padding. The former can have nasty audio artifacts; the latter does no harm at all :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,310 of 6,140
Did anyone noticed change in the sound quality after 200 hours of use or more?
Only 20 hours in but feel the sound is better but that's probably due to my ears adapting to the new sound profile.

One issue I'm facing however is when I enable the DAC, the sound is too clean LOL

I find myself turning it off sometimes, especially with specific songs which I want to have a raw and lack of a better word, dirty feel.

With the DAC, the instruments are tightened up and it feels the sound is ran through a washing machine before hitting my ears. Kind of like I'm listening to a computer synthesize the sound.

Without the DAC enabled, instruments have a more natural feeling and I feel more immersed in the sound despite it being coloration and artificating.

I would guess this is partially due to the fact that I like metal music which is very abrasive and also that I'm not used to such detail/clarity from a piece of hardware.

The good things is I have both options and the sound with or without the DAC being used is definitely better than my previous phone.:D

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,311 of 6,140
Your headphones could also be a factor. I listen to an ungodly amount of metal, most of it really dirty and dark, and having the quad-DAC enabled is definitely better for me.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #1,312 of 6,140
Only 20 hours in but feel the sound is better but that's probably due to my ears adapting to the new sound profile.

One issue I'm facing however is when I enable the DAC, the sound is too clean LOL

I find myself turning it off sometimes, especially with specific songs which I want to have a raw and lack of a better word, dirty feel.

With the DAC, the instruments are tightened up and it feels the sound is ran through a washing machine before hitting my ears. Kind of like I'm listening to a computer synthesize the sound.

Without the DAC enabled, instruments have a more natural feeling and I feel more immersed in the sound despite it being coloration and artificating.

I would guess this is partially due to the fact that I like metal music which is very abrasive and also that I'm not used to such detail/clarity from a piece of hardware.

The good things is I have both options and the sound with or without the DAC being used is definitely better than my previous phone.:D

When the hifi option kicks in you get 3 presets under the hifi tab in settings, clear, natural and I can't remember the other one, they alter the attack and decay like a gate compressor I think. Have a play around

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #1,313 of 6,140
I really don't understand why they would hamstring the Quad-DAC on one carrier specifically. It's seriously baffling.
It's the same way with mine as well, but I'm with Sprint. No impedance indication. I'm actually really pissed right now because at vol: 75 it's barely loud enough. Did you ever find a solution or gained new insight on this issue?

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,314 of 6,140
I know that the DAC is doing it's thing and shouldn't be any difference without the indication feature.
Don't know why they would remove it though...
What's the most upsetting thing about all of this is that I have to put the phone's volume at max for my HD600's. There are people saying that the v30 is driving their headphones well below that. Even my IEMs have to go up to at least 60.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,315 of 6,140
It's the same way with mine as well, but I'm with Sprint. No impedance indication. I'm actually really pissed right now because at vol: 75 it's barely loud enough. Did you ever find a solution or gained new insight on this issue?
From my understanding, if the impedance is less than a certain number then it will only use 2 of dacs in the phone. I had the sprint version too but returned it for the note 8. The screen quality and size is a real winner. Best most flagship hdtv tvs on the market. The 1200 nits of peak brightness in any oled display regardless of the size is outstanding. I just throw on my HERUS or I might pick up a dragon fly red if anyone interested in trading their Red for a shozy alien gold pm me

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,316 of 6,140
I have the V30 with Noble K10s CIEM. Previously had the Fiios X5 with various amps and an I phone 6. I can say that the V30 is much better than my past units, actually really nice to listen to.

I have no interest in streaming, just looking to use on boarded music through the headphone output. I did read the entire thread, but still a bit confused on a couple things. If I understand correctly, if I use the V30 stock player, it will sample (either up or down) to 16/48? And it will not play DSD native? If that is correct, it sounds like Neutron is the most popular solution? And Neutron will only up-sample redbook to 16/48 (if so, no biggie), but play all other hi rez, both PCM and DSD native?

Anyone on the fence about the sound of this phone...I am about the biggest audio twit I know. I am impressed.

TIA, Mike

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,317 of 6,140
Your headphones could also be a factor. I listen to an ungodly amount of metal, most of it really dirty and dark, and having the quad-DAC enabled is definitely better for me.
Yes, I was thinking the same. I tend to crank mine up 5-10 notches above what the phone deems as safe listening. Sometimes my ears prefer the DAC on, sometimes not depending on the track.
When the hifi option kicks in you get 3 presets under the hifi tab in settings, clear, natural and I can't remember the other one, they alter the attack and decay like a gate compressor I think. Have a play around
Yeah, I tried them out but found the default, short (more spatial and ambient sound) to be the best.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,318 of 6,140
I have the V30 with Noble K10s CIEM. Previously had the Fiios X5 with various amps and an I phone 6. I can say that the V30 is much better than my past units, actually really nice to listen to.

I have no interest in streaming, just looking to use on boarded music through the headphone output. I did read the entire thread, but still a bit confused on a couple things. If I understand correctly, if I use the V30 stock player, it will sample (either up or down) to 16/48? And it will not play DSD native? If that is correct, it sounds like Neutron is the most popular solution? And Neutron will only up-sample redbook to 16/48 (if so, no biggie), but play all other hi rez, both PCM and DSD native?

Anyone on the fence about the sound of this phone...I am about the biggest audio twit I know. I am impressed.

TIA, Mike
Because you have good iems. The k10 is a good match with v30. People with low level iems won't appreciate v20/v30 as much.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,319 of 6,140
Funny thing is that the most excitement feature that makes me want and crave V30 is the 600Mhz LTE 5G from T-mobile, but these guys don’t want to unlock my V30 for at least 40 days, even if I paid full price....to hell with that. Better buy international version elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back