LG V30
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #6,031 of 6,140
you can just use
  • Viper4android
  • Viper4hifi
  • JamesDSP
Yup. Before i thought a dedicated dap would be better but u will get more of a drastic change in audio with viper. Definitely good enough. The main thing or the most important is the iem your using. And

v14 has enough drivers where the benefits of viper4android will be amplified across the drivers. You can really make those puppies sing.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6,034 of 6,140
Yup. Before i thought a dedicated dap would be better but u will get more of a drastic change in audio with viper. Definitely good enough. The main thing or the most important is the iem your using. And

v14 has enough drivers where the benefits of viper4android will be amplified across the drivers. You can really make those puppies sing.
you can no limit yourself to use only phone with vipers
I came up with a very simple scheme

any phone that works with vipers + any good usb dac
Vipers and JamesDSP are able work with the audio stream coming via usb
for example, now I bought a zishan dsd with AK4497 and I am very satisfied

we can get any taste sound
with any processing
at any time
complete freedom of choice

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #6,035 of 6,140

with any processing
at any time
Imho, you really don't need a dap especially a mid range dap if you have vpa. Just a waste of money unless you don't want to spend time tuning vpa then a external dap might make sense. But the dap manufacturers and their headphone supremacist affiliates in this community would lead you to believe different.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #6,036 of 6,140

with any processing
at any time
I actually own a few daps but that's because at the time i couldn't root lgv60 and i haven't rooted my device yet. Manufacturers made it a lot harder or more time consuming to root lg v series. I believe that lead them to their deaths.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #6,037 of 6,140
really don't need a dap especially a mid range dap if you have vpa
I agree
but after upgrading the headphones to shure kse1500, for example, it's time to upgrade the source
want to try all technologies
fpga \ multibit \ latest delta sigma from different manufacturers, top AK4499 and ess

vipers in working with usb dacs help to open dap at 100% and allow us to compare their maximum sound level with the reference one in the phone, for example

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #6,038 of 6,140
I believe that lead them to their deaths.
lg stopped being made because they used too expensive components
3k 10bit oled panels
top snapdragon
top case materials
and all this for less than $100 in the case of the v30
it is cheaper than the price of components in it

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #6,039 of 6,140
I agree
but after upgrading the headphones to shure kse1500, for example, it's time to upgrade the source
fpga \ multibit \ latest delta sigma from different manufacturers, top AK4499 and ess

vipers in working with usb dacs help to open dap at 100% and allow us to compare their maximum sound level with the reference one in the phone, for example
If you are planning to use delta sigma usb dacs from various manufacturers, it doesn't matter about the phone you are using as a DAP. What's more important are:

a) using a quality streaming service (Tidal, Qobuz)
b) streaming through a bit perfect media player (e.g. UAPP).

Any android phone can do this.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #6,040 of 6,140
3k 10bit oled panels
top snapdragon
top case materials
LG stopped making phones because Samsung dominate the market and are the Apple of the Android market (ie more people would rather buy a Samsung than any other make of Android). LG phones are well built, and yes, they took care to provide amazing audio capabilities - but sadly that only appeals to a niche market. Most people are happy with wireless headphones/iems streaming over Spotify. It's only us head-fiers that take the audio fidelity to extremes (and as interesting a hobby as this is, it isn't for the majority) and therefore does not appeal to the mass market.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #6,041 of 6,140
3k 10bit oled panels
top snapdragon
top case materials
No they retail for around 700 to 1200 before they perished but you can get a good used one fir that price.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #6,042 of 6,140
LG stopped making phones because Samsung dominate the market and are the Apple of the Android market (ie more people would rather buy a Samsung than any other make of Android). LG phones are well built, and yes, they took care to provide amazing audio capabilities - but sadly that only appeals to a niche market. Most people are happy with wireless headphones/iems streaming over Spotify. It's only us head-fiers that take the audio fidelity to extremes (and as interesting a hobby as this is, it isn't for the majority) and therefore does not appeal to the mass market.
Whenever people see me with my iem cable they say those things aren't even wireless. As if wireless is better quality. 😂😂😂

But got to respect Apple for their ability to brainwash the masses.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #6,043 of 6,140
I agree

Oh yes, i get your point now.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #6,044 of 6,140
If you are planning to use delta sigma usb dacs from various manufacturers, it doesn't matter about the phone you are using as a DAP. What's more important are:

a) using a quality streaming service (Tidal, Qobuz)
b) streaming through a bit perfect media player (e.g. UAPP).

Any android phone can do this.
That's the thing. There was always a war between phones and daps. Phones were getting so good they were about to reach a point where we didn't need a dap.

Alot of people, like myself stopped purchasing daps once they realized lg v series were good enough...

But the death of lg makes me need daps again even if i have to use them from different phones.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #6,045 of 6,140
Im affraid NO. I have V30 in a drawer but is not used anymore. Its an amazing sounding phone but it isnt better than my old Pioneer xdp-300r. The sound is maybe more dynamic but is less subtle and sophisticated. You mentioned, you have the V14 which are rather high quality iems, so you will be better off with a good dap IMHO.
That's not my experience. I compared an A&K AK300 to my G8 ThinQ. Headphones were DT1990, Grado GH4 and Senn IE1. The phone was more detailed and dynamic. USB Audio Player Pro was an important part of the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back