LG V30
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #5,927 of 6,140
Thanks for all the advice everyone its been extremely helpful👍 I have one last question i hope you can help with regarding impedance adapter's?
Iv read and seen graphs which show a good bass boost with a 50-75 ohm adapter! But im concerned how this will work with the V30 due to the triggering the high impediance mode! Will this impediance adapter bass boost work with the V30? Thanks in advance for the help its much appreciated👍
OH one last thing, i will be using my new UM MEST mk2 for this and wondered if there is any chance damaging them doing this Mod? Thanks again

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,928 of 6,140
lg v50 refurbished very good condition is for 116,- - 188,- ~ on ebay or ali, guess v30 not worth it anymore, when v50 price drops

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #5,929 of 6,140
Thanks for all the advice everyone its been extremely helpful👍 I have one last question i hope you can help with regarding impedance adapter's?
Iv read and seen graphs which show a good bass boost with a 50-75 ohm adapter! But im concerned how this will work with the V30 due to the triggering the high impediance mode! Will this impediance adapter bass boost work with the V30? Thanks in advance for the help its much appreciated👍
OH one last thing, i will be using my new UM MEST mk2 for this and wondered if there is any chance damaging them doing this Mod? Thanks again
Where did you see the graph from?
The impedance adapter will only activate the amp on the LG V series. No bass boost there.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #5,930 of 6,140
Where did you see the graph from?
The impedance adapter will only activate the amp on the LG V series. No bass boost there.
But the adapter may change the whole output on the iems, wether for the good or bad (whatever the listener may prefer). :)

Looking forward to the impressions, thou.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #5,932 of 6,140
If single BA IEM, impedance adapter can rising upper mid and treble
Jepp.
I've to say that I've never used an impedance adapter, just an extension cable and my good old AKG K530 to force HIM. :wink:

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #5,933 of 6,140
Thanks for all the advice everyone its been extremely helpful👍 I have one last question i hope you can help with regarding impedan
Ok ill go for it! I'll grab a 75ohm adapter from AliExpress and see what happens? Ill come back with my finding Good OR Bad 😬

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #5,937 of 6,140
But the adapter may change the whole output on the iems, wether for the good or bad (whatever the listener may prefer). :)

Looking forward to the impressions, thou.
Yes this is exactly what i was saying! The different ohm adapters changed the entire FR! The higher the ohm adapter would increase the bass and lower the mids & highs, which may work on some iems but not on others!
What i was asking was would this work the same with the V30 or not due to the V30's high impediance mode and if it didn't what would it do?

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,938 of 6,140
Yes this is exactly what i was saying! The different ohm adapters changed the entire FR! The higher the ohm adapter would increase the bass and lower the mids & highs, which may work on some iems but not on others!
What i was asking was would this work the same with the V30 or not due to the V30's high impediance mode and if it didn't what would it do?

You don't play through the Impedance adapter. You only use it to trigger High Impedance Mode. Once the phone is in HIM, you remove the Impedance adapter form the chain, leaving the extension cable in the phone. That way the phone stays in HIM.

That said, HIM does NOT cause higher sound quality, as is often rumored on Reddit and elsewhere. It mostly just plays louder. This can be necessary with some headphones/IEMs, particularly planars. But unless you need the extra power, there is no need to mess with Impedance adapters.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #5,939 of 6,140
Jepp.
I've to say that I've never used an impedance adapter, just an extension cable and my good old AKG K530 to force HIM. :wink:

You don't play through the Impedance adapter. You only use it to trigger High Impedance Mode. Once the phone is in HIM, you remove the Impedance adapter form the chain, leaving the extension cable in the phone. That way the phone stays in HIM.

That said, HIM does NOT cause higher sound quality, as is often rumored on Reddit and elsewhere. It mostly just plays louder. This can be necessary with some headphones/IEMs, particularly planars. But unless you need the extra power, there is no need to mess with Impedance adapters.
Thank you so much this has cleared up 90% of what was confusing me! The other 2 things are. If people use the comment, "it really scales well with a good amp" when it comes to the V30 with better amp/DAC will this mean it scales up with just the built-in amp or will it work better using the HM mode? For example the UM MEST MK2? I should be getting mine in a couple of weeks.
I'm not going ask you my second and last question until i have found the graph which shows the FR Graphs while using different ohm Adapters showing the increase in bass & decrease in mids-High's! But thanks you so much for your help i appreciate it very much👍

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,940 of 6,140
Thank you so much this has cleared up 90% of what was confusing me! The other 2 things are. If people use the comment, "it really scales well with a good amp" when it comes to the V30 with better amp/DAC will this mean it scales up with just the built-in amp or will it work better using the HM mode? For example the UM MEST MK2? I should be getting mine in a couple of weeks.
I'm not going ask you my second and last question until i have found the graph which shows the FR Graphs while using different ohm Adapters showing the increase in bass & decrease in mids-High's! But thanks you so much for your help i appreciate it very much👍
"It scales better with a proper amp" doesn't count if you're looking at the V30, bc in this case the V30 is just the source.
Sometimes (very often) people messing with higher volume level = better sound.
But that isn't the case.

The HIM mode is just higher output to the earphones.
There's no other improvement.

Whit that said, someone may like the sound presentation of the V30, and someone prefer a warmer tonality.
This can be achieved by connecting the V30 via USB to a dedicated Dac/amp.

It all comes down to your own preferences.
I can listen to my Era-1 out of the V30 with HIM fairly loud, but it isn't pleasant anymore. :wink:

While listening to a proper Dac/amp like R-28 or the Mojo, the sound of the Era-1 is more pleasant to me, even if the volume isn't on par with the V30. :)
One has to keep in mind that the V30 has a very detailed and "brilliant" sound presentation which works best with warmer tuned headphones, imo.

I'm curious about your findings using different adapters in between, nonetheless. :)

It's obvious that everyone has to explore the different behaviors for him(her)self in this hobby.
No fault on this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back