LG V30
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5,821 of 6,140
Hmm.
If i'm not all that wrong you can't trigger the HIM without adding some ohm to the sys.
Well, i'm unsure how this will affect the freq response of your preferred iem/headphone bc it depends on the resistance curve of the headphone itself.

Glad you'll find a solution that'll fit your needs. :)
To force aux mode i'be a really cheap 4 pol short extension cable (to make use of the micro on my CH9T) or use the Grado extension cable.

https://www.amazon.de/System-S-gewinkelt-Winkel-Stecker-Adapter-Samrtphone/dp/B00NMFKVGS

Grado Mini adaptor cable
I was thinking to forcing HIM with just an extender. Thats was the purpose of the HYPER 460 cable:) im using 64 Audio U12T which has LID system. Linear impedance Design which gives consistent reliable sound regardless off audio source:)

Seems like the HYPER 460 cable has no resistente and therefore trigger HIM? Hard to know since im using Google translate from South Korean to english. =)

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #5,822 of 6,140
The extension cables mentioned by @BlazdiqFoods are just that, extension cables with microphone support.
You'll always need a resistance adapter to force HIM. :wink:
For Aux mode, they'll do the job.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #5,823 of 6,140
I've to add.

Best solution, beside using a imp plug, is a custom made imp adapter cable with close to 35ohm, i'd say.
With this extension cable, you'll cover mostly all headphones/iems to force HIM on the V-series.

But as i said before, it depends on your headphone characteristics how this altered impedance will affect the sound.

Sometimes, highs are going to sound less prominent and the bass gets bloated.
(Not applicable to all headphones/iems)

For scientific purposes, you can play with
These adapters
to find your preferred sound for daily listening. :)

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #5,824 of 6,140
So these works? In the first link , a commenter says that is doesnt work to trigger HIM on V30/v40. Does the bottom link one work?

My 3.5 mm jack adapter has a 75 ohm load i think. That triggers HIM. I had a M1060 thats was 50 ohm i think , and it triggered it. So 50 ohm.
Both comments are mine. I didnt know how to trigger the AUX mode when i first got it and i updated the review today.

Both cables work

Btw, this way is to trigger AUX mode and not HIM(50ohm logo HiFi app).

AUX mode solves my hissing issue so i am happy with this.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #5,825 of 6,140
With my LG V60, sometimes normal IEM can mis-trigger AUX mode. And the result sound is very bad: sibilant , highs are not very resolving due to the sibilance, like there is a 'hat' in high frequency.
Connect to amp like Schiit Magni, AUX will be triggered, and the sound is fine, excellent.
I don't know why IEM sound bad in AUX mode

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #5,827 of 6,140
Don't know this iem, but @50r it should without any problems. :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #5,828 of 6,140
Sad day: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/4/22346084/lg-exits-smartphone-business

I'm not sure how much better LG could have possibly made their devices in order for them to stay afloat. All their recent V-series phones were awesome. While it didn't have native DSD support, the V60 had the best sound-quality PCM playback of any portable audio device - even spanking the $3,500 Astell & Kern flagship: https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/
But it seems that none of this was enough for LG to turn a profit :frowning2:

It'll be interesting to see if anybody can fill the hole LG are leaving behind. At least Asus and Sony are still making phones with 3.5 mm sockets...

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,830 of 6,140
Sad day: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/4/22346084/lg-exits-smartphone-business

I'm not sure how much better LG could have possibly made their devices in order for them to stay afloat. All their recent V-series phones were awesome. While it didn't have native DSD support, the V60 had the best sound-quality PCM playback of any portable audio device - even spanking the $3,500 Astell & Kern flagship: https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/
But it seems that none of this was enough for LG to turn a profit :frowning2:

It'll be interesting to see if anybody can fill the hole LG are leaving behind. At least Asus and Sony are still making phones with 3.5 mm sockets...
I think it's pretty obvious why LG failed, I wonder why they didn't notice... their marketing was absolute crap and the super irregular availability of the V60 didn't help. The phones themselves are great, but the last iterations were more and more becoming uninspired Samsung clones instead of something new.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #5,831 of 6,140
I think it's pretty obvious why LG failed, I wonder why they didn't notice... their marketing was absolute crap and the super irregular availability of the V60 didn't help. The phones themselves are great, but the last iterations were more and more becoming uninspired Samsung clones instead of something new.
Agree about LG's marketing. I'm not sure the 'Samsung clone' argument is fair - you could level that against any company that made a quality Android phone. LG's quad DACs and 3.5 mm sockets were an obvious departure from Samsung. LG also had an interesting rollable prototype.

The biggest differentiator (sound quality) turned out to be something most people weren't willing to pay for. I saw this even on headfi. When a new LG V-series phone came out, the typical reaction here was 'I'll wait 6-12 months so I can get it 30% cheaper'. When a new $3500 DAP comes out, headfiers are like: 'take my money already'.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #5,832 of 6,140
Agree about LG's marketing. I'm not sure the 'Samsung clone' argument is fair - you could level that against any company that made a quality Android phone. LG's quad DACs and 3.5 mm sockets were an obvious departure from Samsung. LG also had an interesting rollable prototype.

The biggest differentiator (sound quality) turned out to be something most people weren't willing to pay for. I saw this even on headfi. When a new LG V-series phone came out, the typical reaction here was 'I'll wait 6-12 months so I can get it 30% cheaper'. When a new $3500 DAP comes out, headfiers are like: 'take my money already'.
But quite understandably so. The whole package was just too incomplete to justify the steep pricing. They had 3 iterations to get a better camera, that really was far behind the competition. Now with the introduction of cheap and excellent dongle DACs the Quad DAC kinda lost its purpose.

Edit: Also the implementation of the Quad DAC was fundemantally flawed. Really shows they were not passionate about audio themselves. They still route the audio through Android Mixer creating audio artifacts, which is a simple software fix all DAPs have. Also not being able to switch the outpout mode manually sucks, they clearly never heard about planars which need a lot of power while having low impedance. I bought a Dongle DAC for my V30 because I got annoyed by the low output power and didn't want to use "hacks".

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #5,833 of 6,140
But quite understandably so. The whole package was just too incomplete to justify the steep pricing. They had 3 iterations to get a better camera, that really was far behind the competition. Now with the introduction of cheap and excellent dongle DACs the Quad DAC kinda lost its purpose.

Edit: Also the implementation of the Quad DAC was fundemantally flawed. Really shows they were not passionate about audio themselves. They still route the audio through Android Mixer creating audio artifacts, which is a simple software fix all DAPs have. Also not being able to switch the outpout mode manually sucks, they clearly never heard about planars which need a lot of power while having low impedance. I bought a Dongle DAC for my V30 because I got annoyed by the low output power and didn't want to use "hacks".
What is the "dongle DAC" you mention?

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #5,834 of 6,140
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #5,835 of 6,140

True about the software issues, but they were/are easily fixed with UAPP or Neutron (about an $8 investment). If you're not that worried about SQ and aren't bothered about having to carry the extra dongle and don't mind having only 11 discrete volume steps, you can just go with an iPhone + dongle?

I'm not really into photography, but don't all phones get better cameras after some number of iterations? According to this guy, LG are credited with all phones now having wide-angle lenses: https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1378894128952573959

I use a Hiby FC3, sounds better than the Quad DAC imo
Same DAC chipset as the older LG V-series phones. Difficult to see how that could be in any way superior. Certainly not better than the V60's quad DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back