LG V30
Jan 25, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #5,791 of 6,140
Didn't your V30s received the update to Android 9?
My V30, carrier free, is on 9 with security patch of Nov 2019.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5,792 of 6,140
No...and I was rather surprised & it sure doesn't appear to have *any* updates done since I got it. I don't have my SIM card in it but it is on wireless/internet. What does it take to get the update?

I wouldn't mind 9 there's some cool features in it...just no 10. Especially if it brings the slick left side swipe news timeline and chrome auto- password entry, both which I miss from the V40 on Android 9.

Capture+_2021-01-25-15-24-29.png
Capture+_2021-01-25-15-20-27.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,793 of 6,140
V30S (US998R) is a US Open Market LG model, and like US998 it didn't receive OTA updates past Oreo (version US99820h).

LG dropped the ball with their US Open Market models. They also never provided bootloader unlock for them like they did in EU and Asia.

US carriers provided updates to Pie for their carrier models (AT&T H931, TMO H932, Sprint LS998, VZ VS996). As it turns out, the small carrier US Cellular sold US998 as their carrier model, and those units (IMEI) received updates to Pie (version US99830b).

You can manually update other US998 units to US99830b, including US998R and phones converted from other models. You use a modified version of LGUP, as described in the XDA thread linked below.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/us998-stock-pie-lg-v30-us998-us99830b_00_0902-kdz.3952256/

But note that many users experienced instability and bugs after performing that update. It's not the Pie version itself that's bad, but the update process. The best way is to fully flash back to the latest Nougat version (US99810d) and THEN flash up to Pie (US99830b) in both cases using the Partition DL mode in LGUP. The official Pie OTA update actually does that too.

Be aware that this will wipe the phone!

Oreo is generally considered the best version for V30, particularly for US998. LG did an amazing job with Oreo on V30, whereas their attention was on to later models once we got to Pie.

I have two V30+ (US998U). They were bought as refurbished, converted from Sprint LS998, both on Pie from the seller (version US99830b). I rolled one back to Oreo (version US99820h) as primary phone, while the other (still on Pie) is my backup and used as streamer into a Gustard A18 DAC for our living room. But seriously, I find Pie perfectly OK and could use either as my primary.

Edit:
@scottm18: I see you are actually on the earliest Oreo version (US99820a) which really should receive updates from LG to US99820h (latest Oreo version). Otherwise it is a fairly simple update using LGUP, as described in the thread linked below:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/us998-stock-oreo-lg-v30-us998-us99820h_00_0318-kdz.3786337/

Do note that if you ever intend to root your phone, you happen to be on one of the very versions required to unlock the bootloader (US99820a or US99820b). So unlocking the bootloader BEFORE updating to a later Android version is advisable if you intend to root (now or down the road).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #5,794 of 6,140
Hmm.
The update for the V30 was rolled out on Q2 2019.
Even the V20 has received it.

Maybe they has not lauched an update for the V30s?
I don't know for sure.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #5,795 of 6,140
Hmm.
The update for the V30 was rolled out on Q2 2019.
Even the V20 has received it.

Maybe they has not lauched an update for the V30s?
I don't know for sure.

I would be very surprised if LG ever updates the V30S and the other V30 Open Market models sold in their name (i.e. non-carrier models). It really is remarkable that they just dropped support entirely for those phones, but that's what they did. They still provided 2 years of warranty, just no updates after Oreo. As you said, even V20 received Pie -- as damage control after the boot-loop debacle.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #5,796 of 6,140
Thanks for all the info. That explains why when I put that IMEI number for the 998R it confusingly shows up as a US cellular phone. It also shows up as compatible for every carrier which is really valuable so I'm keeping it for sure.

Other than security updates, I only see a few camera features added from A to H of which I don't care anything about them. I don't know how comfortable I am dealing with those ROMs

A couple questions:
1. Is it "dangerous/issue" to run on a carrier with that low of security update (4/18 in my case)? What do those "updates" really do anyway?

2. Is it the phone model or the OS (9) that allows Chrome to fill in passwords and also that addictive left swipe news feed that my V40 has?

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #5,797 of 6,140
Thanks for all the info. That explains why when I put that IMEI number for the 998R it confusingly shows up as a US cellular phone. It also shows up as compatible for every carrier which is really valuable so I'm keeping it for sure.

Other than security updates, I only see a few camera features added from A to H of which I don't care anything about them. I don't know how comfortable I am dealing with those ROMs

A couple questions:
1. Is it "dangerous/issue" to run on a carrier with that low of security update (4/18 in my case)? What do those "updates" really do anyway?

2. Is it the phone model or the OS (9) that allows Chrome to fill in passwords and also that addictive left swipe news feed that my V40 has?
There were quite a few updates from the earliest to the latest Oreo, both security, features and bug fixes. I think you definitely want to get to latest Oreo (20h), if not Pie (30b). There were some serious security vulnerabilities patched in Pie as well.

It's fairly easy to update to 20h using LGUP. You don't have to go through all the interim versions as described in the thread, that's only for rooted phones.

What you can try first is download LG Bridge and install on your PC (Google it). It's a great tool for backup of the phone and also provides easy updating. It's just that it doesn't find the updates for some models. But worth a try since it's the safest and easiest.

Edit: Oh, Chrome should save your passwords if you log in with your Google account inside Chrome. Afraid I don't know about that news feature.

Edit2: About the compatibility with all carriers, that is technically true, but more limited in reality: You can indeed switch between TMO and AT&T, and it supports most LTE bands of both. Verizon generally won't activate service except on their branded phones. But you can activate a VZ SIM using another Verizon-branded phone, then move it to the V30S, and it should work well. Sprint was the same, but irrelevant now that they've been absorbed by T-mobile.

However for all of these carriers you'll soon need working VoLTE, which is the tricky bit. That's a whole other discussion...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #5,799 of 6,140
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #5,800 of 6,140
Update
After more listening, I found out V60 has sibilant issue, in the area of cymbal and snare wire (but not in the vocal area). After long time, V60 is quite fatiguing and almost unlistenable. Not sure this is the same for all V60, or just my unit, or my version (US Cellular).

Although V60's sound compared to V30 (and other sabre based dacs I have used) are more 'energetic', better bass, and feeling of more 'focused'. However the sharp focused energy in highs created sibilant issue.

V60 is better than V30 in 3 ways:
1. More power. I am using 64 Audio U12 IEM, V30 sounded fine, until compared to other phones like Meizu Pro 5 (it use sabre 9018, plus dedicated amp chip. while V30 using sabre's built'in amp function). Now with V60, it is even more powerful, result in fuller more impactful sound.
2. More 'realistic'. V60 makes instruments more realistic, more believable. Compared to V60, V30's sound is more artificial, mechanical. V60 is fluid, realistic, and I tend to listen to music much longer, compared to V30. Without often pressing 'next' button to skip to next song.
3. More details. More details throughout the frequency spectrum, in a realistic way. details just flow in, instead of drawing attention.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #5,801 of 6,140
Update
After more listening, I found out V60 has sibilant issue, in the area of cymbal and snare wire (but not in the vocal area). After long time, V60 is quite fatiguing and almost unlistenable. Not sure this is the same for all V60, or just my unit, or my version (US Cellular).

Although V60's sound compared to V30 (and other sabre based dacs I have used) are more 'energetic', better bass, and feeling of more 'focused'. However the sharp focused energy in highs created sibilant issue.
Have you tried if changing to a different filter might affect this? I don't know if the V60 filters are the same as V30, but I could imagine the Slow filter would be a bit fatiguing after awhile.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #5,802 of 6,140
Have you tried if changing to a different filter might affect this? I don't know if the V60 filters are the same as V30, but I could imagine the Slow filter would be a bit fatiguing after awhile.

Yes, filters are the same as V30: Short, Sharp, Slow.
Fatigues: Sharp > Short > Slow.
So, yes, slow filter is the best for that, but still fatiguing.
(Tried Neutron, UAPP, built-in Music player, and others normal apps like YT Music, Youtube, Netflix, ...)

PS. The camera of LG V60 also sharpens the image too much, for both photo and video, if not using the max sensor resolution. e.g. if taking photo using 16MP mode, then sharpening is a little to much (max sensor resolution is 64MP mode, in this mode the sharpening is acceptable),
or taking video at 1080p mode, sharpening makes the video really really bad, unwatchable (4k mode and 8k mode, sharpening is ok)
This is simply due to LG software engineer forgot to set different sharpening filter parameter depending on the image resolution.

So, I wonder the fatigue issue might also be some kind of software bug/ignorance.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #5,805 of 6,140
Any idea if LG v30+ supports TWS+? How do u go about enabling that feature. Thanks
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. aptX HD or LDAC are your best options. LDAC can sound pretty good, bit it's highest bitrate is best for short distances - like headphones :smile_phones:

You choose by selecting Connection type -> Best sound quality in BT settings under each device (which will select LDAC or aptX HD instead of lower quality codecs). Then choose bitrate under LDAC playback quality in the Developer Options menu.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back