LG V30
Aug 3, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #5,326 of 6,140
I thought you were saying they were dull with the LG. I reread that now you meant they were dull with all sources. Plus I am just looking for a source and have to make the right decision the first time. I have been through this with too many hobbies, trying to go to cheap ,THEN end up buying things 3 times over to get it right. Who hasn't done that before.
I'm loving my Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop on my G8. I also have the 6XX. I definately prefer the 99s. Like other said, I found the 6XX lacking that fun factor. The Meze are great.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #5,327 of 6,140
Has anyone compared this to the Xduoo X3 in terms of sound quality?

Also, if I understood correctly:

To trigger the High Impedance mode, I need the following cables:

1. Dunu high impedance adapter (does it matter whether I buy 75-, 150 or 750 ohm adapter?)
2. Kenable stereo jack

To trigger it, you plug the Dunu into the Kenable and then attach it to the phone, and then detach the Dunu and plug in your IEM?

To trigger the AUX mode, only this cable is needed?

Which mode is preferable (I have the Vsonic GR07 as daily driver), the AUX mode or high impedance mode?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #5,328 of 6,140
Has anyone compared this to the Xduoo X3 in terms of sound quality?

Also, if I understood correctly:

To trigger the High Impedance mode, I need the following cables:

1. Dunu high impedance adapter (does it matter whether I buy 75-, 150 or 750 ohm adapter?)
2. Kenable stereo jack

To trigger it, you plug the Dunu into the Kenable and then attach it to the phone, and then detach the Dunu and plug in your IEM?

To trigger the AUX mode, only this cable is needed?

Which mode is preferable (I have the Vsonic GR07 as daily driver), the AUX mode or high impedance mode?

Both the cable or the adapter will work to trigger aux mode if you plug them directly. Follow the steps you have with the impedance adapter with either the cable or adapter and that will put you in high impedance mode. You can go with one or the other, you don't necessarily need both.

I don't have the Dunu adapters. I have the Faael 80ohn and 220ohm adapters. I feel like the 220ohm adapter is louder than the 80ohm. It's definitely louder than Aux mode.

You will have to just try it and see if you like. All my IEMs sound bigger, but I am not sure if I am losing some dynamics. However, mids are thicker and I like the overall presence.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #5,329 of 6,140
Both the cable or the adapter will work to trigger aux mode if you plug them directly. Follow the steps you have with the impedance adapter with either the cable or adapter and that will put you in high impedance mode. You can go with one or the other, you don't necessarily need both.

I don't have the Dunu adapters. I have the Faael 80ohn and 220ohm adapters. I feel like the 220ohm adapter is louder than the 80ohm. It's definitely louder than Aux mode.

You will have to just try it and see if you like. All my IEMs sound bigger, but I am not sure if I am losing some dynamics. However, mids are thicker and I like the overall presence.

This is somewhat surprising. I thought that any adapter over 50ohm would give the same result. Apparently there is still a difference between the adapters themselves. Currently testing out the AUX mode as I happen to have an extension cable lying around and it's very noticeably louder (also sounds fuller, but it could just be placebo). I don't have to turn the volume all the way to 47-50 anymore and 35 will suffice.

I will order either the Faael or Dunu adapter to test out the high impedance mode, see if it's an improvement over the AUX mode.

Thank you for your comment.

Edit: I thought that someone said that the Dunu adapter didn't work with the TRRS cables, that it had to be TRS. Therefore the Fospower extension cable wouldn't work in combination with the ohm adapters. Also do you feel that high impedance mode sounds "better" than AUX mode?

Edit #2: Ordered the Dunu 75, 150 and 200 ohm adapters. Will see if there is a significant difference between these for the headphones/IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #5,331 of 6,140
I can get my V30 into Aux mode by simply plugging in slowly, pausing for a little while after the plug first makes contact with the final connection in the socket. It could be my headphone socket is getting a bit worn.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #5,332 of 6,140
I kinda hope that there is no sound quality difference between AUX and HIM. Would rather not carry around 2 pieces of adapters if it's not needed. The AUX mode seems to be fine for me in terms of providing enough output as it is. But, I can't help myself needing to try out the HIM as well.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,333 of 6,140
I kinda hope that there is no sound quality difference between AUX and HIM. Would rather not carry around 2 pieces of adapters if it's not needed. The AUX mode seems to be fine for me in terms of providing enough output as it is. But, I can't help myself needing to try out the HIM as well.
I wish I could try the V30. Is the AUX mode louder than the HI mode? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #5,335 of 6,140
There's been plenty of discussion regarding this as well. I don't think it's necessarily louder... I think it may be clearer and more dynamic. AUX is meant to drive like external systems or car output while high impedance mode is meant to drive expensive headphones.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #5,336 of 6,140
I wish I could try the V30. Is the AUX mode louder than the HI mode? Thanks.
Aux mode, it’s been established by the best tinkerers in this thread, adds 6 dB, while HI mode adds 12 dB.
Aux is like a line-out mode, but it’s actually less powerful than HI mode.
As an aside maxing out digital volume via UAPP adds just about the same volume as Aux, I haven’t bothered with cable extensions since switching to UAPP as a player.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #5,337 of 6,140
There's been plenty of discussion regarding this as well. I don't think it's necessarily louder... I think it may be clearer and more dynamic. AUX is meant to drive like external systems or car output while high impedance mode is meant to drive expensive headphones.

What do you mean by "clearer and more dynamic", is AUX clearer than HIM or the other way around?

Aux mode, it’s been established by the best tinkerers in this thread, adds 6 dB, while HI mode adds 12 dB.
Aux is like a line-out mode, but it’s actually less powerful than HI mode.
As an aside maxing out digital volume via UAPP adds just about the same volume as Aux, I haven’t bothered with cable extensions since switching to UAPP as a player.

How do you even adjust digital volume via UAPP? I have no way of doing that. I can only use the side buttons to increase/decrease volume.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #5,338 of 6,140
How do you even adjust digital volume via UAPP? I have no way of doing that. I can only use the side buttons to increase/decrease volume.
On the main playback screen, with the album cover displayed large above the playback controls, tap the little icon with three vertical bars, and above “bit perfect mode” you should see the slider.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #5,339 of 6,140
in this holydays i spent more time with lg v30 and my iem. the westone is an inexpensive iem but sounds good in my opinion.i was thinking to buy a dap again but honestly the performance of lg v30 is so good. using uapp the performance is not so far from my main system. i don´t know if with a top iem the sound would not be the same of my house´s system. i paid my lg v30 more, last year, but with actual price of around 350€ it´s really difficult to buy a dap. without speaking of stability and velocity of android playing tidal or uapp
Edit: like streamer, connected to my dac, it´s fantastic

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #5,340 of 6,140
On the main playback screen, with the album cover displayed large above the playback controls, tap the little icon with three vertical bars, and above “bit perfect mode” you should see the slider.

I see. It was greyed out for me because I had bit perfect mode on. After turning off bit perfect, I can use the slider now. But, it terms out that having bit perfect mode on is the same as maxing the slider. Btw, should I have bit perfect mode on or off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back