LG V30
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #5,043 of 6,140
Do you guys think that switching from Onkyo Granbeat to the V30+ will result in a dramatic sound quality drop/downgrade?
I need a more modern phone and can not stay on Android 6 any longer for some reasons.
I use 50 ohm q-jays on the go. They sound perfect with the granbeat.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #5,044 of 6,140
Do you guys think that switching from Onkyo Granbeat to the V30+ will result in a dramatic sound quality drop/downgrade?
I need a more modern phone and can not stay on Android 6 any longer for some reasons.
I use 50 ohm q-jays on the go. They sound perfect with the granbeat.
I am yet to hear a mobile source that the V30 is a “dramatic downgrade” from. Haven’t auditioned the Granbeat though.

I’d be more concerned about pairing, as I find the V30 tuned for clarity and airiness and I know the Q-Jays to lean towards sharp higher frequencies, so it may end up a bit of a treble-bath. Sibilance won’t be accentuated but it won’t be tamed either.
Or the V30 will just underline the very qualities you enjoy in the Q-Jays :grin:

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #5,046 of 6,140
I spent a long time looking at DAPs but got frustrated with the limitations that each one imposed, especially with Tidal Masters and offline playback. Problem solved easily, and relatively cheaply, with the V30. Outstanding audio plus all the functions of a decent phone as well. It's an awkward shape, more of a phablet shape, so that's a slight downside. However, for sound quality it's very, very good.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #5,047 of 6,140
I spent a long time looking at DAPs but got frustrated with the limitations that each one imposed, especially with Tidal Masters and offline playback. Problem solved easily, and relatively cheaply, with the V30. Outstanding audio plus all the functions of a decent phone as well. It's an awkward shape, more of a phablet shape, so that's a slight downside. However, for sound quality it's very, very good.

Yes I agree , as you know I have had issues with my DAP with tidal offline so i have decided to sell it . I am going to use my Iphine I think but I need to try and tame the harsh treble on it. I am considering the DF Red to pair with it, but I can probably get a second hand LG phone for just over £250 so this could be an option too I guess as they are renowned for their audio quality

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #5,048 of 6,140
Yes I agree , as you know I have had issues with my DAP with tidal offline so i have decided to sell it . I am going to use my Iphine I think but I need to try and tame the harsh treble on it. I am considering the DF Red to pair with it, but I can probably get a second hand LG phone for just over £250 so this could be an option too I guess as they are renowned for their audio quality
for around 250 pound you find a new lg v30 64 gb or 128 for this price https://www.ebay.es/itm/NUEVO-LG-V3...173708?hash=item468e01800c:g:itIAAOSwTXRbFORG
edit i had ibasso dx200 too. the android on lg v30 is another planet.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,049 of 6,140
for around 250 pound you find a new lg v30 64 gb or 128 for this price https://www.ebay.es/itm/NUEVO-LG-V3...173708?hash=item468e01800c:g:itIAAOSwTXRbFORG
edit i had ibasso dx200 too. the android on lg v30 is another planet.

Yes I can imagine the UI is much smoother . The DX200 is up for sale. The iPhone is being used at present but yes it’s nit as good as the dx200 so wither looking to add something to the iPhone as ideally only want one thing to carry . But the lgv30 is tempting me to reconsider

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #5,050 of 6,140
Ok please forgive me for my lack of knowledge here

I am now considering this to replace my DX200 . It will only be used as an audio device. It won’t be used as a phone . There will be no SIM.

All i am looking for is to stream tidal and mostly for offline Tidal use . I presume all of this is possible without a SIM.

It will be used with my andromeda’s and the Sony WH1000XM2.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5,051 of 6,140
Ok please forgive me for my lack of knowledge here

I am now considering this to replace my DX200 . It will only be used as an audio device. It won’t be used as a phone . There will be no SIM.

All i am looking for is to stream tidal and mostly for offline Tidal use . I presume all of this is possible without a SIM.

It will be used with my andromeda’s and the Sony WH1000XM2.

V30 is a great Tidal source, with its built-in hardware MQA decoding and rendering. But be prepared that when playing non-MQA tracks (i.e. Redbook 16/44) you will have to play them through UAPP (a 3rd party music player app available in Play Store) in order to avoid Android's upsampling to 48kHz. And unfortunately UAPP doesn't have access to Tidal offline, only the Tidal app does. IOW Tidal tracks that are not MQA cannot be played offline on V30 while maintaining perfect quality.

It is possible that Tidal may fix this some day (they already have specific support for V30 in their app to use its MQA hardware instead of their own MQA software decoder). Or it is possible that a future software update or mod on V30 will fix it. But so far you just have to be aware of it.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #5,052 of 6,140
Tidal HiFi: iPhone 7 vs LG V30+

I got my V30+ today and have spent half a day setting it up for Tidal HiFi playback. System updates took a good couple of hours. I've also got UAPP for an alternative way to play back my Tidal playlists. However, this is a direct comparison between the Tidal app running on an iPhone 7 vs the Tidal app running on an LG V30+. The V30+ was configured to use its internal 'quad' DAC. The same headphones were used (BGVP DM6 and AKG N40 IEMs) between both phones and the same (HiFi quality) songs were used. The headphones were connected using a Lightning to 3.5mm socket adapter on the iPhone and directly plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the V30+.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,053 of 6,140
V30 is a great Tidal source, with its built-in hardware MQA decoding and rendering. But be prepared that when playing non-MQA tracks (i.e. Redbook 16/44) you will have to play them through UAPP (a 3rd party music player app available in Play Store) in order to avoid Android's upsampling to 48kHz. And unfortunately UAPP doesn't have access to Tidal offline, only the Tidal app does. IOW Tidal tracks that are not MQA cannot be played offline on V30 while maintaining perfect quality.

It is possible that Tidal may fix this some day (they already have specific support for V30 in their app to use its MQA hardware instead of their own MQA software decoder). Or it is possible that a future software update or mod on V30 will fix it. But so far you just have to be aware of it.

My apologies for the above post .
Thanks for that reply as that is a game changer for me I guess. It is probably best that I now stick to the iPhone

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #5,055 of 6,140

Would I have had this issue on my DX200 and not even noticed it ? Is there a significant difference in sound quality ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back