LG V30
Feb 28, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #4,996 of 6,140
Commander One works like a champ for me!

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #4,997 of 6,140
Tried Commander One but no luck with that. Set USB mode on the V30 to Photo Mode (MTP) but the phone was not detected. It seems to be a particular problem with Oreo and maybe macOS Mojave on a Mac. USB Debugging mode was set to On.

Found this page too: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/help/lg-v30-mac-t3758719

I may resort to Bluetooth wireless transfer if I can satisfy myself about the security. I'm pretty sure that would work but I'm paranoid about allowing anything Google-related access to my Mac!

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #4,998 of 6,140
Tried Commander One but no luck with that. Set USB mode on the V30 to Photo Mode (MTP) but the phone was not detected. It seems to be a particular problem with Oreo and maybe macOS Mojave on a Mac. USB Debugging mode was set to On.

Found this page too: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/help/lg-v30-mac-t3758719

I may resort to Bluetooth wireless transfer if I can satisfy myself about the security. I'm pretty sure that would work but I'm paranoid about allowing anything Google-related access to my Mac!

BT going to be dead slow for large transfers.
How about running ftp app on Mac and V30 ?

Also I think file apps like Es Explorer on V30 have built in transfer means by hosting FTP/HTTP connections for file sharing.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #4,999 of 6,140

Make sure you use the original usb cable that came with your V30 for transfers.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #5,001 of 6,140
Thanks for all the tips. I think the root cause is not being able to put the LG V30 into MTP mode. Once the V30 is connected to my Mac via a USB cable, the USB mode menu on the V30 does not offer an MTP mode as far as I can see. It does offer several other modes but none of them allow my Mac to browse the storage of the V30.

Glad to see you got more suggestions from people who use Macs (I presume) or at least know what they're talking about.

Just a quick note: You won't see MTP in the V30 USB Mode menu like in the old Android days. Just choose File Transfer, it's the modern variant of it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #5,002 of 6,140
..You won't see MTP in the V30 USB Mode menu like in the old Android days. Just choose File Transfer, it's the modern variant of it.

I also wondered why @Taz777 selected photo transfer over file transfer if he is on Oreo.
File transfer is the correct option to access all storage area on V30.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #5,003 of 6,140
I also wondered why @Taz777 selected photo transfer over file transfer if he is on Oreo.
File transfer is the correct option to access all storage area on V30.

I can understand the thinking, since MTP was originally just for synchronizing media files, and before that just photos (with PTP). From what I gathered, any support of MTP in MacOS comes from its "Digital Images" component, so maybe they don't support the newer variants that support all file types.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #5,004 of 6,140
Here's an off the wall question: These LG phones are supposedly at least "waterproof" and it would be great to rinse off the layers of fingerprints, but is anyone (like me) reticent to do that as water just can't be good for the headphone jack. Does any know how they seal it off from the main internals and that's its truly safe to submerge (i.e do it regularly w no issue)? :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #5,006 of 6,140
Here's an off the wall question: These LG phones are supposedly at least "waterproof" and it would be great to rinse off the layers of fingerprints, but is anyone (like me) reticent to do that as water just can't be good for the headphone jack. Does any know how they seal it off from the main internals and that's its truly safe to submerge (i.e do it regularly w no issue)? :)

I use spectacle wipes for cleaning all my phones. They work well and are safe enough to use on spectacles with coated lenses. The ones I have are 'Zeiss 200 lens wipes'.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #5,007 of 6,140

I would use "guaranteed safe" solutions like the suggested microfiber cloth or glass cleaner. Even Windex.

To my mind, the IP68 waterproofing is only for the accidental splashing or dropping in water. I imagine some units are more perfectly sealed than others. So unless you want to test LG warranty while you still have it (an idea not completely without merit) I would avoid anything that might be unsafe -- even if damage should be covered by the warranty.

I too would like to know how they seal the headphone jack (and USB port and SIM slot). Somehow they do it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #5,009 of 6,140
So I tried the original cable AND file transfer USB mode on the V30 and I got a connection! However, I have to spend £28.99 to allow transfers from an Android phone. Oh well, one step closer.

That's some success as far as the connection goes. I guess it's true what that Wikipedia page said about the MTP protocol itself being supported by MacOS, but you need a 3rd party utility for a user interface to actually access an MTP device.

The other possibility (as suggested by others here) is to use apps on the V30 that allow sharing through network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back