LG V30
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #4,981 of 6,140
Apparently this thread isn't much of a safe space to outside influences (if you catch my drift).
??? I dont. Sorry.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #4,982 of 6,140
Apparently this thread isn't much of a safe space to outside influences (if you catch my drift).

If you mean it seems unsafe to voice dissenting opinions here, then I can see what you mean.

Still, I'd say give it a shot, you may be surprised. Particularly with a preface like that.

And if I misunderstood you, I apologize :baby:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,983 of 6,140
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #4,984 of 6,140
If you mean it seems unsafe to voice dissenting opinions here, then I can see what you mean.

Lol ignore my previous post, I was just reading some other forum that mentioned this thread.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #4,985 of 6,140
Anyhow I just tried the BoomBox ROM for the V30 which is unfortunately gone now, but I got myself a copy right before it was taken down.

I flashed the ROM with the "DS + Good DAC SQ For Low Impedance Headphones/AUX" audio mod, and I don't think my ears have ever experienced such high fidelity audio before. I know the stock V30 ROM already has outstanding audio output with the Quad DAC, but woah this audio mod takes it up so many levels!

For starters, the bass is noticeably more punchier and textured than before, yet still refrains from bleeding into and over-dominating the mid frequencies. It is clearly different than just a simple bass boost EQ tweak that you could do using software.

In general, the entire output is much more louder than before, yet still delivers a highly clean and crisp detailed output with no distortion and even better instrument separation. I think this mod clearly showcases the true potential of the onboard ES9218P Sabre DAC. A while ago I was thinking of maybe buying a $100 entry-level HiFi DAP such as the Shanling M0, which also uses the ES9218P. Well I can forget about that now, because I pretty much own it! It's pretty much a super fancy HiFi DAP, with calling abilities :p

Also love the addition of the dual speaker mod, this is what LG should've implemented.

It's just a shame the ROM is down, I'm sure many people would love to get their hands on it.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #4,987 of 6,140
Question, I've been hearing that you need to do a trick w/ the V30, something to do w/ tricking the Headphone Jack thinking there is a High Impedance headphone to make is sound better. Is this true?

I'm not sure if I word it correctly.
With the E5000 being notoriously power-hungry iems you could probably use the boost to AUX mode, as detailed in this comprehensive thread (basically the companion manual to the use of the V30 as DAP): V30 tricks

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #4,989 of 6,140
@NeonHD Am I correct to believe Boombox ROM sound improvements are simply from integrated WhiskeyOmega mod files rather than some ground up coding ?

And Tidal MQA still works ?

I think so, it's probably not ground up coding, but it sure isn't some lousy software tweak either. Probably somewhere in the middle where it integrates those mod files.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4,990 of 6,140
Does anybody know how to transfer files (mainly pictures) from the LG V30 to a Mac computer running macOS Mojave? I've tried Android File Transfer from Google, which does mostly work but it disconnects my Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard randomly, and for long periods of time. Hence, it's not a practical choice due to its buggy nature.

I'm wary of AirDroid as it was implicated in a security flaw some time ago.

Is there any secure way of transferring files from the LG V30 to a Mac that doesn't involve a security risk associated with it, or stops things working on a Mac? I'm struggling with this simple task!

I could use Bluetooth file transfer but you have to 'open' a Mac up and introduce numerous security risks to achieve this, so this is not an ideal method either. Currently I'm emailing them to myself which works but is awkward.

Feb 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,991 of 6,140
Does anybody know how to transfer files (mainly pictures) from the LG V30 to a Mac computer running macOS Mojave? I've tried Android File Transfer from Google, which does mostly work but it disconnects my Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard randomly, and for long periods of time. Hence, it's not a practical choice due to its buggy nature.

Is there any secure way of transferring files from the LG V30 to a Mac that doesn't involve a security risk associated with it, or stops things working on a Mac? I'm struggling with this simple task!

I could use Bluetooth file transfer but you have to 'open' a Mac up and introduce numerous security risks to achieve this, so this is not an ideal method either. Currently I'm emailing them to myself which works but is awkward.
Cable? Google Photos/Drive?

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #4,993 of 6,140

I know nothing about Macs (not the last 30 years anyway) but doesn't Apple provide any official MTP protocol support for USB connections? It's a very established protocol going as far back as WinXP (although in a much simpler form back then). What do iPhones use when connected to a Mac?

Macs are so common nowadays, in many different industries, surely you cannot be the only one with an Android phone?!?

I apologize, I am not much help. I am just surprised if this isn't built-in or at least officially supported :worried:

Edit: Might some of these options listed on Wikipedia's MTP page help?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #4,994 of 6,140

Yes, Commander One

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #4,995 of 6,140
Thanks for all the tips. I think the root cause is not being able to put the LG V30 into MTP mode. Once the V30 is connected to my Mac via a USB cable, the USB mode menu on the V30 does not offer an MTP mode as far as I can see. It does offer several other modes but none of them allow my Mac to browse the storage of the V30.

I’ll try out Commander One anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back