LG V30
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #4,831 of 6,140
Well, I guess that's that then. Mods, can you lock the thread please? We're done, the expert has spoken, and there's nothing more to discuss here.
Hehe, no sorry bro I didnt mean to behave like this. But im following this thread for quite long time and from what Ive read, I deduced that most of you can afford extra equipment. V30 (which I have) and V40 (which is even slightly better from what some of u write) are amazing audiophile smartphones. But after 1-2 days of listening my v30 (using UAPP, dowloaded 24-bit files, tidal MQA etc.) I always come back to my Pioneer XDP-300R and balanced output. Its another level, what can I do?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #4,832 of 6,140
I think that greatly depends on how much the phone was purchased for, no? My 350 dollar Opus #1s sounds slightly better than the 30 and 40 imo. Throw in the balanced circuit, and it becomes greater than slightly.
Yes, and my Pioneer xdp-300r which is normally worth over 500-600e in Europe, i bought for 299 euros. From SE Pioneer is like 15% better, from balanced, I bet over 25% better. Thats dedicated DAP.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,833 of 6,140
Just some observations on using IEMs with the LG V30/V30+. This is between the AKG N40 and BGVP DM6 IEMs.

AKG N40
Pros: great for 'static' listening where you're not moving around (e.g. out for a walk). A lovely controlled sound delivery with a tight, deep bass. Top end is a little restrained.
Cons: Not great when you're exercising or walking. The sound is a little too compressed. Also, the volume has to be turned right up to get an acceptable level.

BGVP DM6
Pros: this works better with the V30 overall. Very easily driven that I had to turn the volume right down (to 30-35). Very loud and clear sound. Works better when exercising or walking compared to the AKG N40. Treble is more prominent than with the AKG N40.
Cons: for quiet 'static' listening, the AKG N40 delivers a more rounded quality of sound with more cohesion. Bass is a little more muted compared to the AKG N40.

Conclusion: BGVP DM6 better for 'active' use, AKG N40 better for 'static' use.

For the remainder of this week, I'll be testing my on-ears with my V30+: thinksound On2 and beyerdynamic T51i, in both static and active use-cases.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,834 of 6,140
Yes, and my Pioneer xdp-300r which is normally worth over 500-600e in Europe, i bought for 299 euros. From SE Pioneer is like 15% better, from balanced, I bet over 25% better. Thats dedicated DAP.

Wow...good to know! How did you arrive at those incremental improvement numbers for the DAP over the phone?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,835 of 6,140
You literally just went against what you previously stated

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,836 of 6,140
Hehe, no sorry bro I didnt mean to behave like this. But im following this thread for quite long time and from what Ive read, I deduced that most of you can afford extra equipment. V30 (which I have) and V40 (which is even slightly better from what some of u write) are amazing audiophile smartphones. But after 1-2 days of listening my v30 (using UAPP, dowloaded 24-bit files, tidal MQA etc.) I always come back to my Pioneer XDP-300R and balanced output. Its another level, what can I do?

Well, the primary advantage of the V30/V40 over other smartphones is that for those who don't want to haul around additional equipment all the time, it's a viable alternative to needing external add-ons.

Candidly, I don't want to deal with carrying around a bunch of DACs, Amps, battery packs, external cables, etc. The V30/V40, while not reaching 100% of the performance of dedicated components, will get you the majority of that performance in a more compact and efficient package.

I would argue that for 90% of music listeners out there, the V30/V40 will provide all the performance they ever need.

The V30/V40 fits a specific need. There will always be better, more expensive add-ons that can perform better than any smartphone can on its own, but for the price you can get new/refurbished V30/V40 for, it potentially takes away a huge cost (and bulk) component for people while giving them the audio performance they need.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #4,837 of 6,140
Well, the primary advantage of the V30/V40 over other smartphones is that for those who don't want to haul around additional equipment all the time, it's a viable alternative to needing external add-ons.

Candidly, I don't want to deal with carrying around a bunch of DACs, Amps, battery packs, external cables, etc. The V30/V40, while not reaching 100% of the performance of dedicated components, will get you the majority of that performance in a more compact and efficient package.

I would argue that for 90% of music listeners out there, the V30/V40 will provide all the performance they ever need.

The V30/V40 fits a specific need. There will always be better, more expensive add-ons that can perform better than any smartphone can on its own, but for the price you can get new/refurbished V30/V40 for, it potentially takes away a huge cost (and bulk) component for people while giving them the audio performance they need.
He isn't talking about a bunch of Dacs and amps. He said a dap, which is no different than carrying a phone for listening to music on the go. In some instances, the dap is smaller than a phone. I enjoy having a dap for 2 reasons. No interruptions and variety. I can also use my particular dap at home for driving certain cans that my V40 can't.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #4,838 of 6,140
Is there a subjective aspect of the Pioneer sound that you like? I'm not sure even the Chord Dave is 25% better than the V30, unless you simply need the extra juice for some power-hungry headphones and/or you're inadvertently up-sampling 44 kHz files through the V30.

V30's ESS 9218P: S/N 118dB, THD 0.004%
Pioneer XDP-300R: S/N 115 dB, THD 0.006%

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #4,839 of 6,140
Is there a subjective aspect of the Pioneer sound that you like? I'm not sure even the Chord Dave is 25% better than the V30, unless you simply need the extra juice for some power-hungry headphones and/or you're inadvertently up-sampling 44 kHz files through the V30.

V30's ESS 9218P: S/N 118dB, THD 0.004%
Pioneer XDP-300R: S/N 115 dB, THD 0.006%
Hello, so:
1. mids are more articulated and cleaner on pioneer. there is more air around instruments. Its not that V30 has not enough air, its something more natural, forward and lively about pioneer;
2. bass extension is very similar, maybe bit cleaner on pioneer, but nothing important;
3. highs are bit cleaner and airy on pioneer;
4. vocals are more live-like on pioneer;
5. soundstage is similar but ive noticed that more pronounced sound on pioneer gives me more feels like the soundstage is around you, especially when it comes to width.
6. V30's sound is a bit more meaty. Pioneer is more crystal-like.

V30 sounds really really good, I would enjoy this sound with no question, but having the pioneer always makes me come back to 300r. I just dont believe that someone can like it more than mojo or hugo (ive read on head-fi that someone sold his hugo because v30 sounded better, oh cmon!).
I understand that many people are considering buying a dap or having smartphone. In this case v30 or v40 is a perfect solution. But if someone wants to buy a dap anyway, there is no chance to get a better sound from LG than from dedicated dap for 400+.

Summarizing, my reflections are directed to people who want to buy a dap. For people wanting only one device, V30 or V40 are perfect and beautifuly sounding smartphones, probably better than daps for <300.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,840 of 6,140
Wow...good to know! How did you arrive at those incremental improvement numbers for the DAP over the phone?
Hi, its my subjective listening experience. Its not that those numbers are precise hehe, I just want to describe how much more or less some of the sound aspects increase or deacrease. I didnt count it lol.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4,841 of 6,140
Hello, so:
1. mids are more articulated and cleaner on pioneer. there is more air around instruments. Its not that V30 has not enough air, its something more natural, forward and lively about pioneer;
2. bass extension is very similar, maybe bit cleaner on pioneer, but nothing important;
3. highs are bit cleaner and airy on pioneer;
4. vocals are more live-like on pioneer;
5. soundstage is similar but ive noticed that more pronounced sound on pioneer gives me more feels like the soundstage is around you, especially when it comes to width.
6. V30's sound is a bit more meaty. Pioneer is more crystal-like.

V30 sounds really really good, I would enjoy this sound with no question, but having the pioneer always makes me come back to 300r. I just dont believe that someone can like it more than mojo or hugo (ive read on head-fi that someone sold his hugo because v30 sounded better, oh cmon!).
I understand that many people are considering buying a dap or having smartphone. In this case v30 or v40 is a perfect solution. But if someone wants to buy a dap anyway, there is no chance to get a better sound from LG than from dedicated dap for 400+.

Summarizing, my reflections are directed to people who want to buy a dap. For people wanting only one device, V30 or V40 are perfect and beautifuly sounding smartphones, probably better than daps for <300.

You forget about one important matter - synergy. I'm not talking full size cans (daps and smartphones are not meant to be used with them in general), how many iems did You test on both? LG V30 and Sony NW-ZX300 are about the same price (ok, was one year ago). And from couple of my iems only one sounds better (imo) on ZX300 than on V30. It's Sony MDR- EX1000. Andromeda, Vsonic GR09, GR07X, AKG K3003, all sounds better on my V30. Why? Synergy. And that's why I can't tell which one is better - ZX300 or V30.

Oh, and my AudioQuest Nighthawks (wooden) sounds better on V30 on high gain too :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,842 of 6,140
You forget about one important matter - synergy. I'm not talking full size cans (daps and smartphones are not meant to be used with them in general), how many iems did You test on both? LG V30 and Sony NW-ZX300 are about the same price (ok, was one year ago). And from couple of my iems only one sounds better (imo) on ZX300 than on V30. It's Sony MDR- EX1000. Andromeda, Vsonic GR09, GR07X, AKG K3003, all sounds better on my V30. Why? Synergy. And that's why I can't tell which one is better - ZX300 or V30.

Oh, and my AudioQuest Nighthawks (wooden) sounds better on V30 on high gain too :)
Why are daps not meant to be used with full sized headphones in general?

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #4,845 of 6,140

Exactly. Music type and ones own ears has a lot to do with it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back