LG V30
Jan 21, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #4,846 of 6,140
Yes, and my Pioneer xdp-300r which is normally worth over 500-600e in Europe, i bought for 299 euros. From SE Pioneer is like 15% better, from balanced, I bet over 25% better. Thats dedicated DAP.
Hi, its my subjective listening experience. Its not that those numbers are precise hehe, I just want to describe how much more or less some of the sound aspects increase or deacrease. I didnt count it lol.
LOL...Gotcha. Very helpful description! :wink:

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #4,847 of 6,140
V30 (which I have) and V40 (which is even slightly better from what some of u write) are amazing audiophile smartphones. But ter 1-2 days of listening my v30 (using UAPP, dowloaded 24-bit files, tidal MQA etc.) I always come back to my Pioneer XDP-300R and balanced output. Its another level, what can I do?

Funny this player should be mentioned...as i have Pioneer SE-Master1 headphones, I definitely looked into this XDP as a source--especially when i sent my current headphone cable for a termination fix (he could have added balanced ends). But in the end, I kept the V40 as a source because A) it is just so convenient to have phone and player in one...B) The V series natively supports MQA hardware-wise and is highly revered by the UAPP developer (not sure UAPP supports the Pioneer), C) The balanced cable is attempting to move to the 4.4 penta so my cable may be rather specialized for use in the very near future and D) I'm happy with the SEMs and dont have any headphones that the V40 can't drive properly so don't need the extra power. And the final reason? The V40 with the Eidolic termination cable simply sounds good enough for me.

Jan 22, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #4,850 of 6,140
Just to let u all know: there is no chance for v30 or v40 to play on a higher level than a dedicated DAP for the same price.. Im sorry. These smartphones play better than DAPs from lower price range but not from same. Writing this from my own experience and Im trying be as objective as I can.

Well that's rubbish, I have a Pioneer XDP-100R DAP (£299), I have just started comparing this with the V30 (£349).so similar in price
So far the V30 is faster and the sound has much more detail and seperation.
How can you compare it with a DAP anyway, you wouldn't compare your DAP's ability to make phone calls because it was not designed to do that.
A comparison with other phones is more fair

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #4,851 of 6,140
Well that's rubbish, I have a Pioneer XDP-100R DAP (£299), I have just started comparing this with the V30 (£349).so similar in price
So far the V30 is faster and the sound has much more detail and seperation.
How can you compare it with a DAP anyway, you wouldn't compare your DAP's ability to make phone calls because it was not designed to do that.
A comparison with other phones is more fair
Then, 100r must sound worse than 300r which I doubt..Its not possible what u re writing (or the headset u use, doesnt have synergy with 100r at all). Im comparing v30 with daps because many people here were comparing it with mojo, hugo etc. And actually its hard to compare lg V series with other smartphones when it somes to the sound..

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #4,852 of 6,140
You forget about one important matter - synergy. I'm not talking full size cans (daps and smartphones are not meant to be used with them in general), how many iems did You test on both? LG V30 and Sony NW-ZX300 are about the same price (ok, was one year ago). And from couple of my iems only one sounds better (imo) on ZX300 than on V30. It's Sony MDR- EX1000. Andromeda, Vsonic GR09, GR07X, AKG K3003, all sounds better on my V30. Why? Synergy. And that's why I can't tell which one is better - ZX300 or V30.

Oh, and my AudioQuest Nighthawks (wooden) sounds better on V30 on high gain too :)
Iems: pinnacle p1, sennheiser ie80, sony xba-n3
over ear: b&w p7, b&o h6, senn hd598, senn hd700 (but too high impedance for the pioneer), AudioQuest NightOwls.
Only in 1 case v30 sounded more dynamic and articulated- pinnacle p1- from SE on pioneer was a bit dull but the soundstage was wider. From balanced ACG the clarity and dynamics are back.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #4,853 of 6,140
I've tried the v30 with
BD 770 80 ohm
Philip's fidelio x2
Sony mdra1
And all 7 paid of iem.
The v30 is either the same or better
depending on headphones.
It's no worse with any of them.

Gary

Jan 22, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #4,854 of 6,140
I've tried the v30 with
BD 770 80 ohm
Philip's fidelio x2
Sony mdra1
And all 7 paid of iem.
The v30 is either the same or better
depending on headphones.
It's no worse with any of them.

Gary
I wish I could say the same about my 300r, I could sell it and save one pocket and some nice amount of cash (considering that in germany u cant get it for less then 680 euros now). I even considered selling it after installing UAPP on v30. But always after 2-3 days there is boredom with sound and return to the pioneer. The sound is just too polite, as if tuned just for pleasure from listening.

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #4,855 of 6,140
Quick question about the V30s unlocked. I have a V40 (which the argument rages on with sound quality vs the V30) but picked up a basically brand-new V30s from B&H for about $400 right at the end of the year, I could not get wi-fi calling to work on it which is needed for my work--so I am about to send it back. But other than that the phone is a gorgeous rare Morrocan Blue w/ 128GB, unavailable in the States via carrier and seems to go for a very tidy sum all of the sudden (see attached). As I said I was just about to send it back, but now thinking of keeping it as a companion to my V40 and/or a nice reminder of the best form factor they had (no question the V40 is too big).

Question--is there a way to get wi-fi calling on that unlocked V30s version, or is that a carrier-phone option only?

Do you think i should hold on to it regardless of not having that feature at that price? I literally have like 3 hours (from 11am EST) to decide :)

lgv30s.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #4,856 of 6,140
I
Quick question about the V30s unlocked. I have a V40 (which the argument rages on with sound quality vs the V30) but picked up a basically brand-new V30s from B&H for about $400 right at the end of the year, I could not get wi-fi calling to work on it which is needed for my work--so I am about to send it back. But other than that the phone is a gorgeous rare Morrocan Blue w/ 128GB, unavailable in the States via carrier and seems to go for a very tidy sum all of the sudden (see attached). As I said I was just about to send it back, but now thinking of keeping it as a companion to my V40 and/or a nice reminder of the best form factor they had (no question the V40 is too big).

Question--is there a way to get wi-fi calling on that unlocked V30s version, or is that a carrier-phone option only?

Do you think i should hold on to it regardless of not having that feature at that price? I literally have like 3 hours (from 11am EST) to decide :)

Think that's carrier specific. Haven't heard a V40, but love my V30+ and would replace instantly for up to double what I bought mine for [~$160]. I sold my Onkyo DAP it sounded so good. After pairing it with Fiio Q1 Mk2 I even have native DSD and 2.5 balanced.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #4,857 of 6,140
I

Think that's carrier specific. Haven't heard a V40, but love my V30+ and would replace instantly for up to double what I bought mine for [~$160]. I sold my Onkyo DAP it sounded so good. After pairing it with Fiio Q1 Mk2 I even have native DSD and 2.5 balanced.

I had a TMobile V30+ and JUMP traded for a V40. Didn't like the SQ at first compared to the V30, but after many test hours with both phones, I'm convinced the V40 sounds better with my setup (its noticeably smoother with no forward glare the V30 can have whatsoever). Of course this depends on your headphones/setup but two audiophile friends agreed with me instantly. The issue is the freaking size of the thing to carry around---so now deciding which is more important :)

Another con for the V40 is a significant battery hit due to the .4" increased screen size and non-increased battery size. It's up to 30% worse than the V30.

That said, I think I am going to hold onto the beautiful and rare 128GB V30s.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,858 of 6,140
I'm pretty sure that Wi-Fi Calling is carrier specific. I'm not sure but I think you even need to purchase the phone through the carrier as many carriers have their own ROM installed on the phone which activates certain features specific to that carrier.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #4,859 of 6,140
I’m thinking to Root the v30 this weekend as i want to be able to select the impedance from software without using a Jack.

Any tips for rooting my EU LG v30 ?

Will I be able to install Tidal/Spotify without issues as sometimes apps detect Root and won’t install ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back