LG V30
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #346 of 6,140
Try UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). It can already play Tidal MQA files when you have an MQA DAC so this should work too. From within UAPP It's hard to see which ones are MQA, but you can just favorite them in the Tidal app and then switch over. Also in settings you'll need to turn on "bit perfect". We are looking forward to hearing your report if you try it. Head-fi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-audio...

So would I need to add the MQA files to my favorite via computer?... the tidal app gives no indication of what is MQA vs CD

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #347 of 6,140
So would I need to add the MQA files to my favorite via computer?... the tidal app gives no indication of what is MQA vs CD
Yes, you have to go through a desktop app to do that and identify masters. I followed this article as a guide: http://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/how-to-play-tidals-high-res-masters-on-your-mac-446915

I'm struggling with the MQA part on the phone, though and have posted in the UAPP thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...port-for-android.704065/page-89#post-13781582). I've also sent a query to the developer to see if it's possible to test out the v30's MQA capabilities.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #348 of 6,140

Yes sorry I meant the desktop app. After that you can select and stream them with UAPP. Looking forward to hearing if that MQA stream works with the LG V30 internal DAC.

Edit:
based the discussion started by @Mart in the UAPP thread, right now you may only be able to hear the difference without seeing the numbers. But I hope that's something the UAPP devs can change.

Edit edit: @Mart has learned UAPP can only send bit perfect streams through its own USB audio driver, not to the internal chip. So we're back at square one with this app and Tidal: no MQA streaming. And one less reason for me to buy the V30.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #349 of 6,140
It can!!!

The magic is that it doesn't have a specific ouput... it adjusts automatically to whatever is plugged in!

I'm sitting here watching Star Wars, using my AKG 612Pros... I have the volume on 45/80 and the dynamics are fully present, the texture is rich, the separation and stage are the best I've ever heard these phones sound.

Not to mention, this is by far the best screen quality I've used.

Amazing. Buy it... I'll be shocked if it doesn't power anything but the most inefficient headphones.

Well, it not like it has unlimited power. The V20 could output 2.1V in high independence mode, not sure about the V30. I could be the same or it gout be a little more. Hopefully that info will come to light soon now that it officially out.

Guys... holy hell.

GAME HAS CHANGED.

No more external amps or DACs. No longer any such thing as non-portable headphones.

The limits of this phone's capability are only existent dependent on your source material and headphone quality.

Running just the hi-fi setting on Tidal renders truly incredible sound... I can't imagine what will happen when the app adds MQA functionality for phones.

I won't get into too much detail right now because I've only had it for 9 hours, and most of that time was spent setting it up to my preferences... but I'll give a very brief impression:

As has been well documented with this DAC chip, it provides a natural- albeit somewhat cold sound. This is easily altered in the settings for the DAC, but with everything flat, and using relatively neutral headphones- that's what I've gotten; an incredibly clean and natural sound. I think the most important factor for the joy that comes from this phone is headphone choice... if you like neutral sound, or basshead sound, or sparkle- whatever the case may be- this phone will deliver the purest signal possible and let the headphones do their thing.

I'm no expert, and I've certainly never spent much time with high-end headphones or portable players, but I grew up around live music and I know what things should sound like... with that said, I'm completely blown away thus far.

Tomorrow I will be removing the mojos and iCans from my Amazon list, because I have no use for them. And then I'm going to give away my Dragonfly because I don't need it either... no more different equipment to acquire certain sound... from now on it will be phone and headphones- only the headphones will vary for what I want to hear that day.

I LOVE THIS PHONE

Obviously your pleased, and I'm sure it excellent, for a phone, but I doubt it will replace my NFB-11. At first I couldn't tell the difference between my higher end gear and my portable stuff. But after spending some time with the gear I can say the big boy gear drives my gear better, offer more dynamics and punch as well as a cleaner sound. It took some time for my ears to adjust and notice but when at home the desktop dear is what is used for that little extra. On the go the V20 as more than good enough and I have little need or desire to carry extra gear for my on the go audio use.

Are you tricking it into high gain when driving the planars? my v10 is rated at 2vrms on high gain. which equates to about 200-300 mw. v30 should have the same power output. Only complaint i have about the v10 is that it doesn't have enough steps for volume control. As you know, you need at least 50ohms to kick it into high gain. I don't remember the ohm ratings for your headphones.

I have the v30 in hand but haven't had time to play with it. I should be able to give some impressions tomorrow

No, I have not rooted my V20. The M1060 and T50RP is both 50ohms so no tricking is needed. The HE-500 is 38ohms so it not getting the full power. I really do wish they would add a toggle button got high impedance mode. I don't need baby sitting to protect my ears. There are some headphone that are not high impedance that can still benefit from high impedance mode... like Planar magnetics.

I may root my V20 in the near future, though a V30 is likely to also be purchased as soon as a price drop happens.

I picked up the AT&T version but ugh, so much bloatware. Thinking about returning it and waiting for the unlocked.

I understand, it really annoys me. BUT I will disable it so it out of sight and keep the extras like Video calling, WiFi calling and the like. Some people got the unlocked Note 8 to avoid the bloat because other where saying that they be able to provision the phone to get those features, only to discover it not that easy. So to me it's a small price to pay.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #350 of 6,140
Can't wait to get my v30, I loved my v10, altho it died on my (bootloop), v10 made my HD650s scream!

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #351 of 6,140
Couple of positive early impressions so far...exciting. I imagine it pairs gorgeously with hifiman he edition x

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #352 of 6,140
Well AT&T bloatware aside, the sound quality of this V30 is blowing my mind. It lacks bass impact and texture compared to my Hugo 2, but the resolution is closer than I expected. I'm using the Andromeda.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #357 of 6,140
BRIEFLY tested v30 vs v20 for about hour yesterday.

No huge apparent difference. Maybe v30 little more clearer.

also v30 smaller. Didn't seem to be a huge upgrade.

Definitely in no rush to spend $800. But will do more testing.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #358 of 6,140
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #359 of 6,140
BRIEFLY tested v30 vs v20 for about hour yesterday.

No huge apparent difference. Maybe v30 little more clearer.

also v30 smaller. Didn't seem to be a huge upgrade.

Definitely in no rush to spend $800. But will do more testing.

Honestly I wouldn't expect a huge difference in audio performance between the V20 and V30, dispute the V30 having superior numbers on paper. I just don't know how much we'll be able to hear. I would like to play with the filters though and see what that's like.

I think battery performance is one of the biggest improvement. People are reporting stellar battery life on the V30, my V20 isn't very good in that department. :angry:

I'm also hoping for a better auto mode with the camera. I wasn't very impressed with my V20's auto mode relative to my Axon 7 or Nexus 6P.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back