LG V30
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,521 of 6,140
It is so annoying that my Andromeda (and other IEMs I've tried) sometimes will detect as 'Normal' input, and other times 'AUX' mode.
I think I've read an adapter can fix this but such a hassle having to attach/carry an extra piece.
Perhaps my V30 is defective in this sense.. sound is good though, not sure if I'm annoyed enough to warranty it.

Make sure the mmcx connection is good and tight on the left earbud. It could simply be a cable issue. Unless you get the same effect with all headphones?...

P.S. But this probably isn't worth worrying about in any event. It would only cause a slight bump (or not) in the initial volume level. There's no other harm done by shifting to AUX mode.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,523 of 6,140
Make sure the mmcx connection is good and tight on the left earbud. It could simply be a cable issue. Unless you get the same effect with all headphones?...

P.S. But this probably isn't worth worrying about in any event. It would only cause a slight bump (or not) in the initial volume level. There's no other harm done by shifting to AUX mode.

Yeah I've tried different cables and even other IEMs but still happens.. but you're right it's not a big deal and no harm done.. :)

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #2,524 of 6,140
Yes, there is an M icon next to the masters track. I am also able to play them through the uapp app with no usb dac required.

Sorry - one correction to my previous comment. MQA files are always wrapped in a 24-bit FLAC container, so even if they don't get unpacked correctly, they should still sound better than the "standard" HiFi version on the V30 (because 24-bit files won't get re-sampled). It remains to be seen whether Tidal have found the appropriate APIs and flags to trigger the V30's DAC to unfold the MQA file. I'd be surprised if that's the case, but who knows. In any case, UAPP will be able to do this shortly... :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,525 of 6,140
Thanks for posting the link! I checked out their video. It did look interesting to begin with :) Now I hate to be cynical, but...

1) Their AWSM(?) proprietary technology "restores compressed audio files to their original, pre-compression state". I'll break this piece of BS down into one manageable chunk: no it doesn't. You can mathematically prove that's impossible.
2) Their proprietary technology also "creates super-bass by compressing the air" (well, all sound-generation systems generate compression and rarefaction, so no big surprise there), but they also make the sound waves go "faster". So they've figured out a way to increase the partial derivative of pressure with respect to density?!? I'll break this one down also - no they haven't. Not unless they've figured out a way of changing the physics of this universe, which I severely doubt.

Maybe this speaker sounds half decent (it's huge and pretty expensive, so one would hope so), but their marketing is utter nonsense. I wouldn't risk parting with a cent of my money to a company this sketchy.

You're pretty spot on. I have a preproduction version for review at the moment and while it's impressive in terms of sheer sound output, the technologies are not changing the world (or universe).

The DSP chip seems to modify the signal in a number of ways and it does sound pretty good, but it has some crazy volume / compression management going on that is very obvious in moments of high dynamics

The Dual Pressure Air Compression system seems to be some kind of opposed woofers forcing high pressure bass through a port (possibly a horn shaped port?). The result is massive bass, but it's prone to sounding very one-notey.

For the price, it's a really good party speaker, room filling background speaker or sound bar for TV / movies, but I think their pitching it wrong with the over-hyped marketing. It's not going to meet those expectations IMO.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,526 of 6,140
You're pretty spot on. I have a preproduction version for review at the moment and while it's impressive in terms of sheer sound output, the technologies are not changing the world (or universe).

Wow...we have someone on here that has heard the Solo/has it in hand. Here's the other one i'm looking at that's about to go live--this one is for the 'traveller' :) Could be a timely update for my legendary Cambridge Model Twelve with the suitcase sub. Any of the far-reaching userbase on here heard this one?
http://www.nomadic.audio/

...and he's right about TIdal. There is a new update that wasnt prompted--and it is specifically MQA
tidal.png
targeted to the V30!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,527 of 6,140
Wow...we have someone on here that has heard the Solo/has it in hand. Here's the other one i'm looking at that's about to go live--this one is for the 'traveller' :) Could be a timely update for my legendary Cambridge Model Twelve with the suitcase sub. Any of the far-reaching userbase on here heard this one?
http://www.nomadic.audio/

...and he's right about TIdal. There is a new update that wasnt prompted--and it is specifically MQA targeted to the V30!

Can you extract that apk? No matter what I've tried, I can't seem to push that update to my phone or find the apk online.

I take it you're on T-mobile right?

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,528 of 6,140
Can you extract that apk? No matter what I've tried, I can't seem to push that update to my phone or find the apk online.

I take it you're on T-mobile right?

Go directly to Tidal.com and download app again.
It will bring you into Google Play Store with an update version.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-03-01-13-48-59.png
    Capture+_2018-03-01-13-48-59.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture+_2018-03-01-13-47-59.png
    Capture+_2018-03-01-13-47-59.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #2,530 of 6,140
Go directly to Tidal.com and download app again.
It will bring you into Google Play Store with an update version.

Many thanks to @dragion for this tip. It'll take a bit more time to see if the MQA files are unfolding properly, but the masters are at least playing back at 24 bit (no re-sampling). Actually, that's nothing new - they always used to do this - but now one can actually browse and see MQA files via the app.

I'm curious to find out what Tidal have done here, since they explicitly state the V30 in the update notes. I can confirm they have not fixed their regular 44/16 FLAC playback issue on the V30, which would be more important to me (by far), since the MQA files represent a very tiny fraction (~0.01%) of their total catalogue.

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,533 of 6,140
Update purely for V30, not other phones ? If the scaling is fixed and MQA works I might just order a V30+ this evening !

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,534 of 6,140
just tried tidal and its now showing as master below the pause button, I will have to test it when I get home with my isines and HEX, I only have my cheap old travelling headphones with me now ( sennheiser pcx 150 ) it does sound quite good though. Listening to some Mozart, again will test later as I have the same tracks in dsd at home

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,535 of 6,140
just tried tidal and its now showing as master below the pause button, I will have to test it when I get home with my isines and HEX, I only have my cheap old travelling headphones with me now ( sennheiser pcx 150 ) it does sound quite good though. Listening to some Mozart, again will test later as I have the same tracks in dsd at home
The v30 drives isine? I'm waiting for mine and i'm looking for a good iem. This month i'll go to states so it's a good opportunity to buy an iem cheaped compared to europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back