LG V30
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,266 of 6,140
I have a European B&O branded V30. Came with the free IEMs too, but they are an order of magnitude less impressive than the "real" B&O iems bundled with the UK version of the LG G5 (think they were the H3).

Do you have the V30 or the V30+? They have different storage capacities, but the specs are the same, I guess.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,267 of 6,140
Should have figured it was the equalizer that was causing the problem even though set flat.

I had a problem wither software based equalizer on my computer though it not cause a frequency response problem, it was a noise problem. Not enough to be audible but was easily measurable with RMAA. With no signal noise looked excellent but when Iit added the 1KHz distortion test signal the noise jumped some 40-50 db but only in the frequencies below 1KHz & the rise was gradual reaching it's max at the bottom of the graph. Above 1KHz it remained below -140 except for some very low distortion spikes highest being -102 db @ 2 KHz.

Turning off the EQ eliminated this rise in noise entirely. Distortion component remained unchanged.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,269 of 6,140
in regards to this phone crashing while multitasking due to not enough rams. My experience with multiple apps running was a good one last night.

I was on a phone call, playing game (mobile legends), and listening to spotify all at the same time and the phone ran smoothly. I don't what apps they were running but the v30 didn't crash at all for me and i was using it for a good hr.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,270 of 6,140
it appears that i wasn't tricking the V30 into high impediance mode by connecting the plug into the phone first and then attaching it to the headphones ( or if it did work it is now longer ) its funny my cheapest earbuds the bose qc20 trick the v30 into high impediance - so using a headphone splitter i am now listening to my edition x in high mode and it drives the headphones good. i am now happy as i can now sell my fiio x5 3rd gen / fiio a5 combo and know i am not missing much by using the V30

I am looking strongly at the Edition X since i now love the sound of the Massdrop HE-4xx, but the V30 can't drive them enough (X's are 103 vs 4xxx 93db senstivity). I'd like to try the high impedance adapter--does anyone use just a "jack" to accomplish this, rather than an full extension cable (purchase link)? Golf..what specifically do you use for your Edition X to get them in high impedance mode? Not a big fan of earbuds, but since you have both the isines and the full-size X, which do you prefer for overall sound? I'm thinking the less-than-portable X's...so its a trade-off.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,271 of 6,140
i trick my V30 into high impediance by using a headphone splitter and putting my bose qc20 in first - high impediance 50ohm logo comes on then i plug in the edition x or isine and remove the bose and it stays in high mode. the isines are great but they are nowhere near the sound quality of the edition x. I use the isines at work and starbucks and use my edition x at home

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,272 of 6,140
Such a pain just to trigger that mode...here's what i think of that nonsense which i posted on LG Mobile USA fb page...

LG yeah the DAC is superb but fix a couple things. For one, the built-in music player is great but cuts off the first second of the track in DSD mode and second we're not stupid so please add an option that lets us choose ourselves the gain we need for our headphones!

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #2,273 of 6,140
Would this not work for a high-impedance adapter....and if so, what resistance would likely be best for 25-50ohm headphones like Planars? 300ohms? I really don't want an "extension" cable...just a jack..as i'm not using it as a portable.

Capture+_2018-01-21-13-52-00.png

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,275 of 6,140
I dont understand why you need to trigger high impedance mode for non high impedance earphones.
There is no reason.....

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #2,276 of 6,140
i just got the v30+
with a nice deal 400$+my old v20 (an official LG offer)
i couldn't compare them, but after some listening i think it sounds just as good, maybe a touch more neutral (lesser bass) than my old v20.
the size, weight & the increased volume steps are really nice compared the old ugly v20, also it has a custom EQ in the stock player, but i really like the bass boost preset.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2,278 of 6,140
yes there is if you have planars like me audeze isine 10 and hifiman edition x v2 you need high impediance mode for it to sound really good
I have the Aeon Flow Open and would like a bit more power but I use aux mode, it just takes more volume.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,280 of 6,140
Here is the truth, headphones in general should not be used for mixing. the imaging is totally different from speakers so unless you are mixing for headphones use speakers as that is what most people use to listen to music.

I have had a set of very high-end headphone here that a very good friend of mine brought over that through most of the range did not sound all that different. What headphones were these, The Stax Lamda Pro's. main deviation from these were the M50X's had slightly more bass & the Lamda Pro's were smoother at the high frequencies I.E. less sharpness. The M50X's had more bass extension. that is about it. Midrange on the M50X's were quite good when compared to the Lamda Pro's & yes the M50X's are sold to studios & studios do in fact buy them.

Now are you going to denigrate those as well. Those are 10,000 dollar electrostatic headphones known for their excellent response & were also used in studios.
Not about price. But i have m50x. If you're trying to tell me there's not a big difference, you're hearing, equipment or tracks is off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back