LG V30
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #2,251 of 6,140
Here is the truth, headphones in general should not be used for mixing. the imaging is totally different from speakers so unless you are mixing for headphones use speakers as that is what most people use to listen to music.

I have had a set of very high-end headphone here that a very good friend of mine brought over that through most of the range did not sound all that different. What headphones were these, The Stax Lamda Pro's. main deviation from these were the M50X's had slightly more bass & the Lamda Pro's were smoother at the high frequencies I.E. less sharpness. The M50X's had more bass extension. that is about it. Midrange on the M50X's were quite good when compared to the Lamda Pro's & yes the M50X's are sold to studios & studios do in fact buy them.

Now are you going to denigrate those as well. Those are 10,000 dollar electrostatic headphones known for their excellent response & were also used in studios.
Sir...with all due respect, the posts are declining rapidly. 10k? M50x compared to Stax?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2,252 of 6,140
Here's an idea... maybe (given the measurements shared earlier) the V30 is accurate and the perceived bass boost is due to whatever else you're listening to as a source being leaner sounding?

I'm not trying to knock you because I find the V30 marvellously full-bodied on my already warm Noble K10s so I can understand someone thinking it's boosted, but I don't feel like there's any bass boost, I just feel like my K10s sound exactly how they are meant to: solid, weighty bass, gorgeous midrange and smooth, slightly laid back, but extended treble

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #2,253 of 6,140
Here's an idea... maybe (given the measurements shared earlier) the V30 is accurate and the perceived bass boost is due to whatever else you're listening to as a source being leaner sounding?

I'm not trying to knock you because I find the V30 marvellously full-bodied on my already warm Noble K10s so I can understand someone thinking it's boosted, but I don't feel like there's any bass boost, I just feel like my K10s sound exactly how they are meant to: solid, weighty bass, gorgeous midrange and smooth, slightly laid back, but extended treble

I have actually measured my computer & it is indeed flat & the V20 sounds exactly the same in tonal balance but not the V30. The measurements posted earlier were done using Neutron software which can bypass the internal software. I listening using the LG software which came on the unit which includes tuning by B&O play. The American version of the V20 does not have B&O play tuning & it definitely sounds truly flat. While most of my phones do have some bass boost most are not horribly boosted. Only the R6i fits that category, not the others & especially not the ER4p's with p to s converter though I could not use them for this as they need new filters.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #2,254 of 6,140
As to the V30 having a boosted signature - if you use the LG stock music player app, the default EQ setting is 'normal', which is indeed a V-shaped EQ to my ears. But hey, I prefer it actually - after using the flat setting for a while, I realised the normal setting works better for me when out and about in the real world - which is how I listen to my music mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,255 of 6,140
As to the V30 having a boosted signature - if you use the LG stock music player app, the default EQ setting is 'normal', which is indeed a V-shaped EQ to my ears.

That's very likely what you're hearing, but it'll be coloration from your headphones, not the V30. Virtually all headphones these days have at least a slight boost at the low end (and most at the high end too). The only IEM I can think of that doesn't is the ER4S - which is so boring to listen to!

The depiction of the V30's "Flat" EQ setting is... flat. And it measures flat in all three output modes. There is zero hint of even the faintest rise in the bass.

Be wary of isolated unsubstantiated anecdotal claims of anything. These myths can perpetuate to the point where everybody on the thread accepts then as gospel truths. I'm not dismissing @germanium out of hand. He obviously believes he heard something, but whatever the explanation for it (if his unit isn't defective), it isn't that the V30 has an elevated bass.

P.S. @germanium - Neutron is not the reason my V30 measured flat. I used both apps. Measurements are identical with the stock LG music app.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,257 of 6,140
Does V30 have both B&O logo and non-B&O logo?

Mine is HK version which has B&O logo on back....

So if US version has no B&O logo. Now I wonder if this is the reason I feel different impression from others.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,261 of 6,140
My understanding is that all V30's were to get the B&O tuning no matter where you bought them but not all got the branding or the headphones from B&O. Note that there was one other person that reported the same thing so it's not just me. Note also that part of the reason I was a little upset about this is that I had intended on doing some testing with MQA & wanted it to indeed be flat for the testing purposes.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,262 of 6,140
For V20, yes, there is b&o tuned version and non b&o. I tested both, and yes, non b&o is flat. The b&o version got thicker body in sound

That is exactly what I am hearing with my V30 compared to my American V20

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,263 of 6,140
OOPs I think I found the culprit. The equalizer when turned on even though set flat was not. I switched on & off several times & noticed a volume increase when turned on & bass sounded boosted compared to when set to normal. I set it to normal & now sounds correct compared to my V20 & most of all computer which I know measures flat. Hi frequencies did not appear to change, just the lower ones below about 500 Hz..

On the V20 there was no difference between the EQ on but set flat & normal.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #2,264 of 6,140
OOPs I think I found the culprit. The equalizer when turned on even though set flat was not. I switched on & off several times & noticed a volume increase when turned on & bass sounded boosted compared to when set to normal. I set it to normal & now sounds correct compared to my V20 & most of all computer which I know measures flat. Hi frequencies did not appear to change, just the lower ones below about 500 Hz..

On the V20 there was no difference between the EQ on but set flat & normal.
Glad we figured it out. But it's still odd that there would be two versions of the V20 (B&O and non-B&O).

Anybody out there with a B&O branded V30 and a decent sound card willing to make some measurements for us? (I can help, if you pm me.)

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #2,265 of 6,140
Glad we figured it out. But it's still odd that there would be two versions of the V20 (B&O and non-B&O).

Anybody out there with a B&O branded V30 and a decent sound card willing to make some measurements for us? (I can help, if you pm me.)

I have a European B&O branded V30. Came with the free IEMs too, but they are an order of magnitude less impressive than the "real" B&O iems bundled with the UK version of the LG G5 (think they were the H3).

Only have a midrange laptop (Lenovo Yoga series) so have no idea what sound card is in there, but happy to try and obtain some measurements of someone sends me an idiots guide on what is needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back