LG V20 Sound Quality
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,721 of 4,141
There is also Q8 w/c is available.

Edit: Not V20s equivalent but has ESS DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #3,722 of 4,141
LG's V20 equivalent n EU is Q8. Can buy it thru Amazon.
The difference is that V20 have a 5.7" display vs 5.2" on Q8, removable battery on V20 and waterproofness on Q8.
Also, no root available as of yet for the Q8 (So no 16bit 44.1kHz support through stock player).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #3,723 of 4,141
For those in Europe, where did you get your V20 from?

I've found a couple of ebay sellers that ship within EU (apparently, refurbished or used), but I'm not sure if they are legit... Anyone has experience with them?

https://www.ebay.es/itm/LG-V20-4GB-...061303?hash=item28357cc577:g:4XkAAOSwK6RZKCa6

https://www.ebay.es/itm/LG-V20-4GB-...061303?hash=item28357cc577:g:4XkAAOSwK6RZKCa6

A polish coworker bought a korean import in Poland and brought it to work in Norway to give to me.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #3,724 of 4,141
I have bought both the V20 and G6(both South Korean imports) from Ebay from these two sellers:
V20: https://www.ebay.com/usr/changiairport?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
G6: https://www.ebay.com/usr/cc-electronicshk?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

A polish coworker bought a korean import in Poland and brought it to work in Norway to give to me.

I think I'll wait a few months to see G7 prices fall down a little more. I've read that all G7 versions feature the quad dac... Not sure how accurate that is. Otherwise, I might stick to a dedicated dap.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,725 of 4,141
Quick question for everyone with Oreo. When the Hifi DAC setting is off, do you get small volume steps or the same large volume steps from Nougat when changing volume? Media volume, not ring tone volume.

When it's off, I get the large steps. Wondering if anyone knows how to fix it to also get the small steps. It's been kinda bugging me. I just want consistency.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #3,726 of 4,141
Why didn't the idiots at lg sort all this out? it really pisses me off. No blaming Android, because they can fix the settings with root access like we do. Lazy Basterds! They know people are using Tidal Hifi for flac!!!
mate can you please explain me how to circuit this Android Upsampling bull sh it since it ****s my deezer experience and UAPP not systemwide

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,730 of 4,141
Mine finally got the update Friday. I didn't think out it was ever going to happen, he'll the next update 9.0 pie is coming out soon.

Based on LG's previous track record It'll be out just in time for the next presidential election!

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,731 of 4,141
Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help if someone could be so kind. I tried searching but I'm getting conflicting info.

I have a unrooted H990DS variant (so no Oreo for now). I want to get the best audio fidelity I can out of the phone. I primarily use two headphones: Xiaomi Hybrids and Philips Fidelio X2s. They both fall below the high impedance threshold (32 and 40 respectively) so only trigger Normal Mode.

Now, and again I get conflicting info when searching, does Normal Mode engage the quad dac? Some say it does, some say it only enables one of the dacs.

I've found a method for forcing it into External Device mode. For the Xiaomi's, plug the cable in holding the play button on the inline remote. Hold it and the Mode changes to External after a few seconds. For the X2's, using a Vmoda mic cable, have the volume slider all the way down and plug it in. When you slide it back up it goes into External Mode.

I understand External is the middle ground between Normal and High mode, and has high gain than the base mode. My question is, with External Mode, do you still get the Quad dac and only lose some gain as compared to High Impedance?

Lastly, I've read there's a glitch deciding higher quality music files on anything below Oreo. Do I need Neutron MP to rectify this?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3,732 of 4,141
Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help if someone could be so kind. I tried searching but I'm getting conflicting info.

Now, and again I get conflicting info when searching, does Normal Mode engage the quad dac? Some say it does, some say it only enables one of the dacs.

I understand External is the middle ground between Normal and High mode, and has high gain than the base mode. My question is, with External Mode, do you still get the Quad dac and only lose some gain as compared to High Impedance?

Lastly, I've read there's a glitch deciding higher quality music files on anything below Oreo.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Hey,

Let me just start by saying that the "Quad DAC" is enabled and in use in both normal, external and high impedance. It is only the gain & output vrms that differs between these modes. Why some people like to argue that external or high sounds better is that louder volume is often perceived as better sounding.

Would you mind linking me to the high fidelity glitch statement?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #3,733 of 4,141
There is a simple solution: buy UAPP.
On the other hand, i have H990N model and it always goes in hifi mode when i plug a headphone or other 3.5mm cable of a loudspeaker amplifier for example. it is actually called "hi-fi quad dac" mode. i cannot activate it if there is nothing plugged in but i can deactivate it while i use headphones. in this case i noticed the volume goes down, i didn't care to check if there is any quality degradation, it seemed the same just at lower volume.
About activation of hifi mode, i don't know if it's configurable by user. it might be in android config files, maybe someone would help you. there is only a menu activated on hifi mode allowing me to independently control the volume on left and right channels and that's it. No other trigger, setting involving impedance or anything else. At list not visually noticeable.
Now, UAPP related, i already mentioned there is a clear difference between sound quality using tidal own app and tidal via uapp, uapp is way better. i don't know if the same applies while listening your own files using stock lg player, it is possible stock lg app is good enough. But because lately i only use tidal via uapp and this app is recognized as one of, if not the, best, i stopped worrying about what lg does behind as uapp directly accesses internal hifi quad dac.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #3,734 of 4,141
Hey,

Let me just start by saying that the "Quad DAC" is enabled and in use in both normal, external and high impedance. It is only the gain & output vrms that differs between these modes. Why some people like to argue that external or high sounds better is that louder volume is often perceived as better sounding.

Would you mind linking me to the high fidelity glitch statement?

Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I think confusion stems from this: 'The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG'

As for the last issue, I'm referring to the downsampling/resampling thing. I'm trying to find a succinct writeup but that's eluding me. Someone discusses it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74098912&postcount=3

There is a simple solution: buy UAPP.
On the other hand, i have H990N model and it always goes in hifi mode when i plug a headphone or other 3.5mm cable of a loudspeaker amplifier for example. it is actually called "hi-fi quad dac" mode. i cannot activate it if there is nothing plugged in but i can deactivate it while i use headphones. in this case i noticed the volume goes down, i didn't care to check if there is any quality degradation, it seemed the same just at lower volume.
About activation of hifi mode, i don't know if it's configurable by user. it might be in android config files, maybe someone would help you. there is only a menu activated on hifi mode allowing me to independently control the volume on left and right channels and that's it. No other trigger, setting involving impedance or anything else. At list not visually noticeable.
Now, UAPP related, i already mentioned there is a clear difference between sound quality using tidal own app and tidal via uapp, uapp is way better. i don't know if the same applies while listening your own files using stock lg player, it is possible stock lg app is good enough. But because lately i only use tidal via uapp and this app is recognized as one of, if not the, best, i stopped worrying about what lg does behind as uapp directly accesses internal hifi quad dac.

Thanks for the help. I'll look into that app. I have credits to burn on Google Playstore from all those survey questions.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #3,735 of 4,141
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I think confusion stems from this: 'The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG'

As for the last issue, I'm referring to the downsampling/resampling thing. I'm trying to find a succinct writeup but that's eluding me. Someone discusses it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74098912&postcount=3
Well I can certainly understand the confusion going by that statement.

Oh, now I understand which 'glitch' you mean, in short anything above & including 24/48 to 24/192 will playback bit-perfect (flac & dependant on player).
The problem is 16bit music, which will be re-sampled to 24bit, depending on the player (solvable by rooting & editing build.prop with audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back