LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,166 of 4,141
Nov 3, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #3,167 of 4,141
tested with the trial version, doesn't work on V20. does the commercial version behave differently?

The purchased comfirm worked.

received_10213369922176676.png
received_10213369930496884.png

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,168 of 4,141
In general, yes. the reason is as you quote.

By the way, neutron music app is developing how to play bit-perfect on Hi-Res Device.
http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4014 with this setting, V10,20,30,G6 could be beneficial for real sampling rate playback now. :)

Hi everyone, just got a V20 recently. Are you all using Neutron or just the stock app? Do I need to root for Neutron and is it really better than the stock player?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,170 of 4,141
Hi everyone, just got a V20 recently. Are you all using Neutron or just the stock app? Do I need to root for Neutron and is it really better than the stock player?

Thanks.

Mine is stock LG-H990DS and can confirm.

kSUY6Dzl.png

1) Generic Driver = ON
2) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Codec = ON
3) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Speaker = ON
4) DSP Effect (Device) = OFF
5) Low Latency = OFF
6) 32-bit Output (IEEE 754) = OFF

It seems max is 24 (64 internal)/192.
Tried playing higher bit rate files (dsd64, dsd128) and it remained at 24/192.
I can upsample lower rates to 24/192 :
Follow Source Frequency: OFF
Frequency: Choose highest supported

Will try to see when I trigger the Quad DAC option. Will update later...

Update: Tried high impedance mode, the same. SQ IMO still goes to internal Music Player.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #3,171 of 4,141
Quick question: In order to prevent any resampling i am using only the stock player and have converted the bit depth to 44.1/24 bit for all my red book albums on my PC, before loading up my micro SD card. Assuming I am playing only flac, would this ensure no resampling under any circumstances with the LG stock player? if so, this could be somewhat of an elegant solution, as I'm just padding the bit rate and not resampling. Admittedly, it takes up more space though. Phone is not rooted - if it's relevant.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #3,172 of 4,141
Quick answer, there would not be any resampling in LG stock app.

Quick question from me, Could you explain why you convert 16 bit to 24 bit?
Is it improved for any tangible/objective quality?

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,173 of 4,141

It's entirely to prevent the android mixer from resampling. Increasing bit depth will have no positive effect on sound (or negative effect on sound). It won't change the audio of the file at all, whereas resampling can have subjectively positive or negative benefits (in certain cases, depending on the device, upsampling can subjectively sound better through allowing less steep filters). Increasing bit depth is basically just adding 0s to the end of the file. Some devices will increase bit depth on the fly to have more headroom to apply DSPs - specifically digital volume adjustment. In this case - it's just to prevent resampling. For that reason - I just want to make sure it's in fact doing that in all cases. I've read that the android mixer can take over in other apps if you play YouTube or a system sound before or after playing a song.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3,174 of 4,141

@artpiggo - how do you like the 64 audio u12? I have an a12 (the custom version), on order and it should be arriving soon. Have you paired it with the v20, and do you like that pairing? What DAP/Phone do you think is it's best match? I've read that it's overly warm with a recessed treble. I don't mind that sound signature in general but it depends on how warm and how recessed the treble is. Do you get at least a tiny bit of treble sparkle? Does it sound congested?What is your overall impression of the u12?

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,175 of 4,141
BTW - I am shocked how well this phone drives my LCD3s. I only need the volume at 50-55 max in high impedance mode, the highs are sweet but extended, and the bass is taut and fast with perfect quantity. My ak240 can't drive the LCD3 nearly as well. Yes, you need to jump through some hoops to make it play correctly, but with the removable / replaceable battery you can use it indefinitely as least as a DAP. I have a 400 gb micro sd in - so tons of high res.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,176 of 4,141
how do you like the 64 audio u12? I have an a12 (the custom version), on order and it should be arriving soon. Have you paired it with the v20, and do you like that pairing? What DAP/Phone do you think is it's best match? I've read that it's overly warm with a recessed treble. I don't mind that sound signature in general but it depends on how warm and how recessed the treble is. Do you get at least a tiny bit of treble sparkle? Does it sound congested?What is your overall impression of the u12?

Mine is U12 + Apex M15.
I like its smooth vocal with an enough bass with little recessed treble. I can easily match it with any sources and still get a good sound at its price without hiss.
When pairing with V20, I found it a great pairing fulfilling upper mid and treble. I just think that the soundstage dimension and separation is not as good as DAP.
The best pairing DAP could be OPUS2 and DX200. Best pairing smartphone is vivo xplay6. These three are opening up details with a little more sparkle. and I can enjoy an enormous soundstage as well.

Overall impression so far is exceptional. I used it for a year now. still a worthwhile UIEM for dollar.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,177 of 4,141
Got this phone a week ago. Coming from Xperia Z3, SQ on this phone is miles ahead of z3. Battery on lg v20 is disappointing, as its hardly lasts a full day. Can this phone be used as usb dac for laptop etc??

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #3,178 of 4,141
So, I've found a way to mess up V20's impedance detection in a new way that I haven't seen here.
I had an old pair of sports iems, Sennheiser CX680. Now, these come with an extension cord that has analogue volume control, a small wheel on it. The thing I do is connect my headphones to it (needs a very thin jack or would have to cut some plastic to gain better access to 3.5 jack) and as soon as I plug it in V20, I rapidly spin the wheel for 2-3 seconds. It goes to high imepdance always... You just have to be quick and spin it right after you've connected it.
Obviously, don't connect headphones when plugging it and you get a regular aux output. So, this thingy can trigger any of 3 modes relatively easily.
Keep in mind that my extension cord with volume control removes the right channel when pushed to max volume, perhaps it's this slight defect that is messing with V20, but I doubt it.
Additionally, you can set a certaint level on the volume wheel and limit how much power is going to your headphones at max 75 volume.
Sorry for the old quote, but several months back saw on Readit that someone was constantly able to get their V20 in high impedance mode by simply plugging an audio cable in without any gear attached to it. then plugging the headphones in. I've been able to replicate this multiple times with my PM3's. I don't know what exacly triggers this either, because when I plug my Shure SE425s in, High impedance mode kicks in every time; and they're 22 ohms.
Not rooted also.
Sidenote, can't believe how well V20 drives my Sennheiser HD800S .

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #3,179 of 4,141
Sorry for the old quote, but several months back saw on Readit that someone was constantly able to get their V20 in high impedance mode by simply plugging an audio cable in without any gear attached to it. then plugging the headphones in. I've been able to replicate this multiple times with my PM3's. I don't know what exacly triggers this either, because when I plug my Shure SE425s in, High impedance mode kicks in every time; and they're 22 ohms.
Not rooted also.
Sidenote, can't believe how well V20 drives my Sennheiser HD800S .

That is strange because with my V20 and PM3 it only trickers the external input and never High impendance. I am using the basic white cable. Are you using the cable with integrated mic and volume?

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,180 of 4,141
Mine is stock LG-H990DS and can confirm.

kSUY6Dzl.png

1) Generic Driver = ON
2) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Codec = ON
3) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Speaker = ON
4) DSP Effect (Device) = OFF
5) Low Latency = OFF
6) 32-bit Output (IEEE 754) = OFF

It seems max is 24 (64 internal)/192.
Tried playing higher bit rate files (dsd64, dsd128) and it remained at 24/192.
I can upsample lower rates to 24/192 :
Follow Source Frequency: OFF
Frequency: Choose highest supported

Will try to see when I trigger the Quad DAC option. Will update later...

Update: Tried high impedance mode, the same. SQ IMO still goes to internal Music Player.

Thank you! I'm on H990DS too :) I will stick to the stock player then. I just hope LG will update the firmware soon.

Got this phone a week ago. Coming from Xperia Z3, SQ on this phone is miles ahead of z3. Battery on lg v20 is disappointing, as its hardly lasts a full day. Can this phone be used as usb dac for laptop etc??

I bought the BCK-5200 charging kit with spare battery, works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back