LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,137 of 4,141
They use the same ESS part and you should experience identical if not nearly identical sound characteristics. Ie.. both excellent .

I am using G6 now and planning to change the phone to Mate 10 maybe.. But the audio will be a huge let down in that compared to G6.
Which portable dac should i use in order to get warmer sound... Ya i like warmer sound rather than brighter sound...
Audioquest dragon fly Red and Opus #11 are currently in my list.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,138 of 4,141
I guess the warm sound comes more from the amp side. Maybe a DAC based on AKM4490 as Xduoo XD-05. The Cayin C5 is an amp on the warmer side, and there's also a dac-amp model, but I didn't hear it yet. Edit : there's also the Chord Mojo that you should test.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #3,139 of 4,141
I guess the warm sound comes more from the amp side. Maybe a DAC based on AKM4490 as Xduoo XD-05. The Cayin C5 is an amp on the warmer side, and there's also a dac-amp model, but I didn't hear it yet. Edit : there's also the Chord Mojo that you should test.

Chord mojo is too expensive for me. So dac based on AKM4490 i should check. By the way do you recommend Cirrus logic dacs or Burr dacs ? I saw somewhere in this blog... But not sure how it sounds...

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #3,141 of 4,141
Chord mojo is too expensive for me. So dac based on AKM4490 i should check. By the way do you recommend Cirrus logic dacs or Burr dacs ? I saw somewhere in this blog... But not sure how it sounds...
if you found an used mojo try. it´s better compared xduooo but this last for the price is awesome
Do the V20 support balanced 3.5mm plug?
no.it´s just a phone

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #3,144 of 4,141
How come UAPP sounds SO much better than PowerAmp? Didn't even know about this player. What's the trick? I just had the time to play some MP3 320k, no FLAC/Hi-Res yet. But the difference is kinda huge.
In my test, it's the opposite for 16/44.1 content.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,145 of 4,141
Resampling in Poweramp in the OS.
Poweramp does volume control and resampling by itself, and does it much better than the OS.
That's why it offers better quality for 16/44.1 than generic players on V20.

Provided you've not rooted your phone and modified the prop line to get ride of the resampling.

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #3,147 of 4,141
Hi all. Had the V20 HD990DS for a month now and am really enjoying it outdoors with my RHA750s and indors with my Beyerdynamics DT990s. However, I have a problem using UAPP that does not go away however many times I uninstall and reinstall the app. I have happily used UAPP on numerous phones with various DACs but am using UAPP just with the V20 for now. However, it seems that UAPP depletes my phone's battery more than any other player (poweramp beta, neutron, player pro, stock etc) and gets quite warm. I also have trouble closing UAPP. When I exit the app the status bar notification still remains and it seems to rag the battery even though I am not playing it?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,148 of 4,141
Hello. Did you properly diagnose that UAAP was the culprit ? (is it shown in battery status as the one eating the battery ?) Did you try to erase all data and cache (from settings/apps/UAAP) from UAAP ? You could also back up the phone, factory reset, reinstall just UAAP and see if the problem is still there... If not, reinstall apps one by one to see if there's a conflict somewhere.
Did you root the device ? Did you change the kernel or something else ? Did you change something in UAAP settings ?
By the way, you could try to contact the UAAP developer(s) if everything fails, they seem to be quite supportive. You should also post on xda forums (or did you already ?) for such issues.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #3,150 of 4,141
So, I've found a way to mess up V20's impedance detection in a new way that I haven't seen here.
I had an old pair of sports iems, Sennheiser CX680. Now, these come with an extension cord that has analogue volume control, a small wheel on it. The thing I do is connect my headphones to it (needs a very thin jack or would have to cut some plastic to gain better access to 3.5 jack) and as soon as I plug it in V20, I rapidly spin the wheel for 2-3 seconds. It goes to high imepdance always... You just have to be quick and spin it right after you've connected it.
Obviously, don't connect headphones when plugging it and you get a regular aux output. So, this thingy can trigger any of 3 modes relatively easily.
Keep in mind that my extension cord with volume control removes the right channel when pushed to max volume, perhaps it's this slight defect that is messing with V20, but I doubt it.
Additionally, you can set a certaint level on the volume wheel and limit how much power is going to your headphones at max 75 volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back