LG V20 Sound Quality
Feb 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,132 of 4,141
Kind of bummed that I cannot for the life of me get my V20 into "high impedance" mode with my Earsonics S-EM6 and they are 60 ohms. The 50 ohm Pinnacle P1 works fine, as does Earsonics' SM64 (90 ohm). But the S-EM6 no luck! :frowning2:

-Collin-

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,133 of 4,141
This was fun, on my G5+Hifi and AKG K702 HP I couldn't tell any difference at all, not even once. Try it out for yourself and post screenshot if you succeed: http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

I think I have a pretty discerning HP setup.  I used my Violetric V280 - Ether C Flows - MacBook Pro and I can't tell the difference between the first two songs.  Pretty interesting...

I even tried my ALO CDM with my Ether C Flows and I still can't tell the difference...Is it my Macbook Pro?  Or are my ears going...eek...

CJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,134 of 4,141
WHAT!?
I get 7 hours screen on time at 50% brightness on my G5 (not rooted) and it has significantly smaller battery, 2800 mAh, I guess. I hope you're wrong. I have V20 ordered/bought already. I was hoping the 3200 mAh battery gets me past 9 hours SOT.

Sadly after my 10j update, from 10d, I rooted. I did get a feel of 10j a couple of days and then rooted. Even after some minor optimizations I don't think I'll see that 8h sot again. I still get 6h easily and could see getting 7h but tough stretch. Battery life went down a bit after the update but still solid performer. I rarely run my battery past 20% now though and it's usually around 5-6h sot at around 20% battery.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,135 of 4,141
When I hook up the phone to an external DAC (in my case Chord Mojo) using OTG, the output is 192khz constantly.
It doesn't matter which player I use, it doesn't matter which sampling rate I choose as an output in PowerAmp 3. It outputs 192 even when I play YouTube videos.

Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it? I would prefer it to play everything in its native sampling rate, and I want the choice I make in PowerAmp to matter.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2,136 of 4,141
  When I hook up the phone to an external DAC (in my case Chord Mojo) using OTG, the output is 192khz constantly.
It doesn't matter which player I use, it doesn't matter which sampling rate I choose as an output in PowerAmp 3. It outputs 192 even when I play YouTube videos.

Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it? I would prefer it to play everything in its native sampling rate, and I want the choice I make in PowerAmp to matter.

Try the stock player. I believe that does it better than PowerAmp (I was using PowerAmp Alpha). On a side note, do you have "coil whine" while charging your Mojo? I do (S/N: 49xxx series) and I've contacted the vendor to return it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,137 of 4,141
  Try the stock player. I believe that does it better than PowerAmp (I was using PowerAmp Alpha). On a side note, do you have "coil whine" while charging your Mojo? I do (S/N: 49xxx series) and I've contacted the vendor to return it.

The stock player also outputs 192, no matter the native sampling rate of the file. 
It's like everything goes through the system mixer (I also hear the various OS sounds) and comes out as 192. 
The light on the Mojo is always blue for me. Are you able to get it to change according to what's playing?

Regarding the "coil whine", I have no idea what that is. I'm guessing it's a sort of noise audible while charging? I haven't noticed this but I have only once listened while charging. I'll go look that up now :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,138 of 4,141
OK, solved my problem by downloading UAPP 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,139 of 4,141
  OK, solved my problem by downloading UAPP 
biggrin.gif

Nice! I will as well then! Yes, the coil whine only happens during trickle charge (when the unit is pretty much topped off already). I was intending to keep the unit plugged in as a DAC while I'm home, and then unplug and take with me on the go (and have a fully charged unit). It is just the coil whine that is bothering me.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,140 of 4,141
Do any of you use Tidal and know for sure if the DAC runs at highest possible with it and what sample rate that would be at?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #2,141 of 4,141
  Nice! I will as well then! Yes, the coil whine only happens during trickle charge (when the unit is pretty much topped off already). I was intending to keep the unit plugged in as a DAC while I'm home, and then unplug and take with me on the go (and have a fully charged unit). It is just the coil whine that is bothering me.

I don't know if that's good for battery life. I know I read that you shouldn't let it drain completely too often, but not sure if it's good always keeping it plugged in.
I guess it's the same for the Hugo right? And Hugo is partially intended for desktop use?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #2,142 of 4,141
I am not a record engineer nor have the chops to do audio analysis. But just for fun, I hooked my V20 to my computer using Audacity. And recorded thru its headphone out a DSD128 clip (The Gentle Rain by the Witmer Trio by Sound Liason) to various Android players:

1. Internal Music App
2. UAPP
3. NeutronMP
4. HibyMusic
5. Pulsar

Thru the spectrogram I could see that the spectrograph of the internal Music App brings forth more information than UAPP and Neutron which are equal. Hiby's and Pulsar's are equal to that of the internal Music App.

Since the internal Music app and Pulsar could not access my microSD. So I guess its Hiby for the win?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,144 of 4,141

I don't know if that's good for battery life. I know I read that you shouldn't let it drain completely too often, but not sure if it's good always keeping it plugged in.
I guess it's the same for the Hugo right? And Hugo is partially intended for desktop use?

Chord indicated that it was fine to leave the unit plugged in, as it will only "trickle" charge to keep itself topped off.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,145 of 4,141
  I am not a record engineer nor have the chops to do audio analysis. But just for fun, I hooked my V20 to my computer using Audacity. And recorded thru its headphone out a DSD128 clip (The Gentle Rain by the Witmer Trio by Sound Liason) to various Android players:

1. Internal Music App
2. UAPP
3. NeutronMP
4. HibyMusic
5. Pulsar

Thru the spectrogram I could see that the spectrograph of the internal Music App brings forth more information than UAPP and Neutron which are equal. Hiby's and Pulsar's are equal to that of the internal Music App.

Since the internal Music app and Pulsar could not access my microSD. So I guess its Hiby for the win?

Thanks for sharing this valuable analysis results. Appreciated!

Just surprised what you wrote about microSD access. I use internal LG Music app to listen my music files in microSD? I don't know if it asked for microSD access grant for the very first run, but may be you clicked wrong option or something like that? But I'm sure you can reconfigure it to access microSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back