LG V20 Sound Quality
Feb 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,101 of 4,141
@Niteowl360  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1196505&gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDr0Wjhne1kwaRXqMR1ol25cBvqoj6Kb8Xy3eM5BGXs4aArnB8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&Q=&A=details

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #2,103 of 4,141
  A follow up on the previous post.

So I found out that it needs a bit of juice to access my USB DAC.

Found this in Amazon. A USB-C OTG with 4K capable HDMI and charger plug:

From the charger port It will supply power to your USB peripherals.

Now my USB DAC works fine!. 4K video was just an icing on the cake.

​Just curious, is the phone being charged at the same time or just power the USB hub itself?

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,104 of 4,141
If you zoom in (via browser) on his pic of the phone with everything connected, it looks like the battery is charging. I don't have an external DAC (that I can find at the moment... still looking for my Cambridge DacMagic XS) to test and verify.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,105 of 4,141
The phone is charging too.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,106 of 4,141
Hey, I connect the ath-Im04 to this smartphone and it's instanly enter the high impendence mode even though the Im04's impedence is only at 14 ohms. I believe the first time I plug it in the V20 only use it normal impedence mode but after that I changed the cable of the Im04 into the aftermarket cable and then changed back to the stock one again then this happen.

Any thought on this? It did sound great though.

Edit: I tried changing the cable back and forth many times and even restart the V20 and it's still at high impedence mode, every other iems with low impedence still at it normal audio device setting.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,107 of 4,141
  i think it's safe to assume that 16bit path does volume control in digital domain, but i'm not sure about 24bit path.
and 24bit goes the direct offload path, if LG has implemented AVC support, it's reasonable to only support it in offload mode.

briefly tested on apx555, it seems AVC is not enabled in 24bit offload path. noise floor is steady regardless of volume level.
the noise floor is very low though, ~1.5uV for 20~20k band in low gain mode.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,108 of 4,141
Question for the DAC experts.
I'm using my V20 with my old reliables...FiiO E18 Kunlun and V-Moda M100.

When the Hi-Fi mode is on am I using both the DAC in the E18 and the Quad DAC in the V20? How about when I turn off the V20 DAC does the E18 DAC work even without the micro USB connectors now that the V20 has no micro USB?

The AMP is definitely working as the gain and bass can clearly be distinguished when toggled. Overall the sound quality with this setup is by far the best on any portable device I've listened to. I've been using the E18 since the Note 3. The side buttons in the E18 for track skipping was great but the second screen on the V20 makes it that feature a bit redundant now.
By the way I stopped using the rubber band to piggy back the E18 and just use two 6 foot coiled cables instead so that the E18 can stay in my jacket pocket and no lugging two devices. Give the Havit aux cable on Amazon a try. It has a spring on the end of the cable and fits into the V20 port nicely without any play to cause the scratchies.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #2,109 of 4,141

When the Hi-Fi mode is on am I using both the DAC in the E18 and the Quad DAC in the V20? How about when I turn off the V20 DAC does the E18 DAC work even without the micro USB connectors now that the V20 has no micro USB?

The AMP is definitely working as the gain and bass can clearly be distinguished when toggled. Overall the sound quality with this setup is by far the best on any portable device I've listened to. I've been using the E18 since the Note 3. The side buttons in the E18 for track skipping was great but the second screen on the V20 makes it that feature a bit redundant now.
By the way I stopped using the rubber band to piggy back the E18 and just use two 6 foot coiled cables instead so that the E18 can stay in my jacket pocket and no lugging two devices. Give the Havit aux cable on Amazon a try. It has a spring on the end of the cable and fits into the V20 port nicely without any play to cause the scratchies.

With aux, you only use amp.
micro usb to usb type c, you use dac& on e18, not on v20

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,110 of 4,141

I thought the advantage of the V20 was that you don't need an external amp. At any rate, if you are using a stereo cable from the headphone jack of the V20 to the line in of the E18, you are not using the dac in the E18 you are just using the amp section. To use the dac in the E18 you have to use a usb connection from the V20 to the usb input of the E18.
You shouldn't need an external amp with the M100 if you are using the V20. The M100 is a rather efficient headphone at only  32 ohm and 103db with just 1 mW. The V20 

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #2,111 of 4,141
HUGE difference with the FiiO amp. I can't go much higher than level 3 on the amp (out of 9) before its simply too loud. The bass is much punchier. Without the amp you have to set the volume at full cowbell on the V20 to get the same effect.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,113 of 4,141
HUGE difference with the FiiO amp. I can't go much higher than level 3 on the amp (out of 9) before its simply too loud. The bass is much punchier. Without the amp you have to set the volume at full cowbell on the V20 to get the same effect.

Ok well, kudos to you for being able to withstand the pain of the small and shallow M100 ear cups. I bought them too, placed them on my head and  within 3 seconds I was like "NO WAY!" and returned them the next day.
I have the E18 also, I'll have to try them out wit the V20. But it sounds like the E18 is coloring the sound.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,114 of 4,141
Ok well, kudos to you for being able to withstand the pain of the small and shallow M100 ear cups. I bought them too, placed them on my head and  within 3 seconds I was like "NO WAY!" and returned them the next day.
I have the E18 also, I'll have to try them out wit the V20. But it sounds like the E18 is coloring the sound.

I got the upgraded XL pads...once broken in they feel like slippers for my big ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back