LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 4, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,352 of 4,141
Been putting the V20 thru its paces with my ATH-R70x, modded T50RP and AKG K812, as well as my IE800 and Jupiter......I'm now thinking of selling my DAP's as I feel the V20 is good enough for portable enjoyment.......for me anyway. I'm more of a home desk top headphone guy......

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,354 of 4,141
Ive been using my v20 for a couple weeks now, and im really enjoying the DAC/AMP in it. Just curious, anyone know how it compares to some of the 100-250 dollar desktop dac/ams like the schiit modi/magni or the SMSL sanskrit and the fiio EO9K?

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,355 of 4,141
Ive been using my v20 for a couple weeks now, and im really enjoying the DAC/AMP in it. Just curious, anyone know how it compares to some of the 100-250 dollar desktop dac/ams like the schiit modi/magni or the SMSL sanskrit and the fiio EO9K?

I tried this with my setup. I played the same exact song on both units (Chris Jones - Long after you're gone). I fed my V20 into my SYS and my Modi2U also into my SYS. They both terminate into my Vali 2. I kept switching back and forth between the two, and the V20 sounded more musical (more organic like a tube), but the Modi2U was more resolving in the details. I really like the sound of both, and have no problems using my V20 as my only portable music player. I think LG did a good job with the implementation, all we need them to do is unlock the "gain" levels and I'd be extremely happy.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #1,356 of 4,141
I tried this with my setup. I played the same exact song on both units (Chris Jones - Long after you're gone). I fed my V20 into my SYS and my Modi2U also into my SYS. They both terminate into my Vali 2. I kept switching back and forth between the two, and the V20 sounded more musical (more organic like a tube), but the Modi2U was more resolving in the details. I really like the sound of both, and have no problems using my V20 as my only portable music player. I think LG did a good job with the implementation, all we need them to do is unlock the "gain" levels and I'd be extremely happy.

Yeah, that would be really nice, id love to see some better tuning from LG aswell. The very first day i had this i ditched the lg tuning and downloaded a third party equalizer. Seeing as these two dacs are so alike quality wise i may just hold off on buying a desktop amp/dac in this price range and save up for a much nicer one. Especially since the phone seems to handle flac files, or any music in general, much nicer than any of the high end portable amps i have.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,357 of 4,141
   I think LG did a good job with the implementation, all we need them to do is unlock the "gain" levels and I'd be extremely happy.

This ^.  They didn't do it for the V10 so odds are they won't for the V20.

Does anyone know a way to request this feature to the LG software team? 

Some headphones and IEMS sound better on high gain, the extra voltage really makes them sing!

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,359 of 4,141

It's interesting that you say this because I just tired the same thing and this is exactly how I felt doing A to B comparisons between the V20 and my Modi 2 Multi/Magni 2 Uber stack. I felt as though the V20 sounded a bit more musical and had a maybe ever so slight mid bump but was less detailed and resolving than the Schiit stack. I however can confidently say that the V20 is better in all aspects than my portable dac though which is the Centrace Dacport Slim. It's cleaner, more detailed and has a more pleasing sound. The dacport is not a bad little device it just has a tendency to sterilize music and the V20 is on the opposite side of that. It makes music seem more lively and fun. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,360 of 4,141
This ^.  They didn't do it for the V10 so odds are they won't for the V20.

Does anyone know a way to request this feature to the LG software team? 

Some headphones and IEMS sound better on high gain, the extra voltage really makes them sing!

Go to xda developers. They've done it if you can root your phone. I haven't tried it on minee as I haven't found a root for the dual sim version.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,361 of 4,141
Unfortunately I can't root my phone. My company's encrypted email application wipes all of my business data and locks my corporate account when it detects the phone has been rooted.

So all I can do is work around it, or hope they unlock the functionality.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,362 of 4,141
  I don't think mine's the H3, it is by B&O but I don't know the model, don't ask me how it sounds like because I can't say as I've been using my IE800 and CA Jupiter.....

Those don't look like the H3's I received.  Is yours made of plastic?  Mine are aluminum with very small vent holes drilled around the exterior circumference.  This is exactly what mine look like:

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,363 of 4,141
Hmm, wondering if they're making a cheaper alternative? 
I havent received my promo H3s (on Verizon) yet, although i've submitted for them weeks ago.
Probably won't be thrilled with them to be honest, as i'm pretty happy with my P1's and M100/XS with the V20.
But...they are free, and might gift them forward.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,364 of 4,141
Unfortunately I can't root my phone. My company's encrypted email application wipes all of my business data and locks my corporate account when it detects the phone has been rooted.

So all I can do is work around it, or hope they unlock the functionality.

Hummm...have you looked at the nine app? Can use it at my company without encrypting my phone, and have root. The touchdown client also allows this. Without one of those I would have to encrypt and give the company access to wipe my device on root detection.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,365 of 4,141
Hummm...have you looked at the nine app? Can use it at my company without encrypting my phone, and have root. The touchdown client also allows this. Without one of those I would have to encrypt and give the company access to wipe my device on root detection.

We're using "Good" for corp email. So I don't have to encrypt my whole phone, the app encrypts just the corp data. That being said, the app can detect a rooted phone and lock everything up on me. BYOD, is a double edged sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back