LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,321 of 4,141
I surmise you don't think the V20 is that good?

On the contrary.  I think the V20 is great.  It sounds better than any of the dedicated personal music players I've used in the past.  The ES9218 DAC in this phone is seriously one of the best I've heard in a while. I was just making a dig at rockstar2005 and jagwap's banter a few posts up.  Go read them and you'll see what I mean... *cough* :)

EDIT:  just to add, I think this phone sounds that good that I've stopped carrying a phone and a Pono player around.  I'm just using the phone now paired with either a pair of BeO H3s (for when I wear a beanie) when I can avoid it, or some quite flat 60 ohm Portapros SE's,  or 48 ohm MDR-1As.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,322 of 4,141
  On the contrary.  I think the V20 is great.  It sounds better than any of the dedicated personal music players I've used in the past.  The ES9218 DAC in this phone is seriously one of the best I've heard in a while. I was just making a dig at rockstar2005 and jagwap's banter a few posts up.  Go read them and you'll see what I mean... *cough* :)

EDIT:  just to add, I think this phone sounds that good that I've stopped carrying a phone and a Pono player around.  I'm just using the phone now paired with either a pair of BeO H3s (for when I wear a beanie) when I can avoid it, or some quite flat 60 ohm Portapros SE's,  or 48 ohm MDR-1As.

amstel78 = one funny guy. lol 

And one of my favorite beers to drink is Amstel Light too. lol 

I'm glad we're finally at a point where smartphones can FINALLY offer the same quality a premium amp/DAC or DAP can! 
L3000.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,324 of 4,141
  I use Westone ES60. It hissed with FiiO x7. Cowon and AK300 are both pitch black. I have the Ifi iematch coming this weekend. Will get you updated. It hisses with airplane mode everything turned off. It's not that bad. 

thanks gordec, I'll also test it on SE530 (119db 36ohm) when my V20 arrives.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,325 of 4,141
Can vouch for the iFi iEMatch. Fixed the only downside to my Vorzuge amp, hissing that intensifies when the bass/treble switches were on. $50 dongle versus an issue that a $500 piece of boutique equipment shouldn't have.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,326 of 4,141
My 6P died today, third unit in seven months... Rogue charger possibly. I bought a V20 in anger since I needed a phone. Sound wise is not bad but a definite step down from DP-X1. Lacks the authority and power on the Onkyo DAP but good thing is that it brightens both R2PROs and PM-3s since it is tuned to be sparkler than DP-X1. Keeping my DAP though.
The person 6P came back to life after setting up the new phone. Pressed all buttons for hundreds of times with no effect over a day and nothing. Weird.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,327 of 4,141
Weird, my M6Pro (granted, they're cheap IEMs) are 16 ohm and i get no hiss that i can sense. The W60 are 25 ohm...I'd figure I'd hear the hiss more.

Though. Those W60 are some sweet looking IEMs. I can't say how my CIEMs are, because i rarely use them.

Checked... My Heir Audio 4.a is 17 ohm.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,329 of 4,141
My 6P died today, third unit in seven months... Rogue charger possibly. I bought a V20 in anger since I needed a phone. Sound wise is not bad but a definite step down from DP-X1. Lacks the authority and power on the Onkyo DAP but good thing is that it brightens both R2PROs and PM-3s since it is tuned to be sparkler than DP-X1. Keeping my DAP though.
The person 6P came back to life after setting up the new phone. Pressed all buttons for hundreds of times with no effect over a day and nothing. Weird.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I too have both the DP-X1 and V20 (using SE846 and IE 800) and agree with you. The DP-X1 is noticeably more detailed and has better/cleaner separation, but not by a far margin TBH. I wouldn't scoff at someone wanting to use the V20 as their DD, it's great. In fact, single-ended, the V20 is livelier than the DP-X1. But once you do balanced, the DP-X1 wins hands down. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,330 of 4,141
Weird, my M6Pro (granted, they're cheap IEMs) are 16 ohm and i get no hiss that i can sense. The W60 are 25 ohm...I'd figure I'd hear the hiss more.

loudness =  sensitivity * P = sensitivity * V * I = sensitivity * V * V / R
for 16~25ohm resistance range, we can roughly assume the voltage swing V is the same.
so W60 is (116-100)db / (25/16)ohm = 14db louder than M6Pro, which is a lot.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,333 of 4,141
Atleast your V20 came with the B&O iems.:stuck_out_tongue:

The US version does not.

The T-Mobile V20 came with a mail in offer for the H3 headphones. I got my pair after a couple weeks if waiting. But it's true, they don't sound that good and if I had paid retail price for them would be disappointed. My Portapros sound much better.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #1,335 of 4,141
Atleast your V20 came with the B&O iems.:stuck_out_tongue:

The US version does not.

Verizon allows you to get them from LG's website.
http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20/promo/verizon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back