LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 30, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,276 of 4,141
ES9018 is a big family...

S is the only real 9018 (which Auralic Vega uses), it cannot be used in smartphone because of power and package constraints.

others are mobile versions with significantly lower specs, including:
K2M & C2M are DAC only, can be paired with ES9602 or other amps.
Q2C have integrated amp. (which is based on ES9602)

and there might be more internal variants.

and that's just 9018...

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,277 of 4,141
I'd have to say it would be extremely disappointing if the Mojo didn't sound better. I guess it just goes to show how advanced cell phones have become and how minute the differences can be between better devices. I really want to ab the sound now, has me very curious.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,279 of 4,141

The player used is also important, try poweramp alpha vs stock, I strongly disagree with excellent software.....

What are your settings for Poweramp Alpha? I just downloaded the Alpha version and I see that it's outputting at 48kHz. Not that I'm complaining by any means.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,280 of 4,141
I'd have to say it would be extremely disappointing if the Mojo didn't sound better. I guess it just goes to show how advanced cell phones have become and how minute the differences can be between better devices. I really want to ab the sound now, has me very curious.

I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I can demo a lot of equipment just a few bus stops from work. Considered AK120II/ FIIO X5, and felt they weren't better than the V20 from the brief AB. Only brought the Mojo after ABing and felt it's worth throwing out 400+ USD and the added inconvenience of carrying another device sometimes e.g extended travel/at work.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,281 of 4,141

What are your settings for Poweramp Alpha? I just downloaded the Alpha version and I see that it's outputting at 48kHz. Not that I'm complaining by any means.

Under Settings > Audio > Output, change to OpenSl ES Output if it isn't default (I think it is default if I remember correctly).
Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Direct Volume Control ON + Volume levels set to 76 for finer control.
Settings > Audio > Resampler > Resampler Type to SoX

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,282 of 4,141

Under Settings > Audio > Output, change to OpenSl ES Output if it isn't default (I think it is default if I remember correctly).
Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Direct Volume Control ON + Volume levels set to 76 for finer control.

Excellent! Thanks!!

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,283 of 4,141
  Ironically, i feel like this drive-by at the end is the most important and least fleshed out line.  In what ways does it beat the 20 easily? Sound quality?  Volume?  Given that it is a dedicated unit, i do expect it to have more output power, but i don't really expect it to sound all the much better (assuming that your cans weren't current starved in the first place).  You have a top end ESS chip being driven by excellent software.. i am not sure how much room for improvement there is..

On a side note (not about the quoted content)..... does it bug anyone else when somebody says something sounds x% better?  Maybe its me, but i have no early idea how to qualify one sound being x% better than another sound; since overall sound quality isn't something measured in a number, i always get confused when people try to give a percentage (i say all this, after reading other opinions in this thread about this or that having 5-10% better sounding sound... )

Hi Madcat, 

I do agree with you on your first paragraph anyway. I have the $300 Oppo HA-2 and I'd compared it to the (once) $600 Celsus Sound Companion One (CO). To me, the HA-2 sounded JUST AS GOOD as the CO, so I returned the CO and kept the HA-2. Another person on here told me he'd compared the HA-2 to the Chord Mojo, and could not hear a difference at all either. So yeah. And also, both the DAC & the amp chips on the V20 are dedicated I believe too. And with the 3 different amp modes the V20 offers, I bet the output power is pretty impressive too when in the highest/strongest one, High Impedance Mode. 

I think it's just that different ppl have different ways of expressing their opinions. I rarely if ever use percentages over regular words/adjectives to describe such a difference. I don't know if it bugs me but it's also not the way I would choose to express an opinion or observation made.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,284 of 4,141

so with this setting you mean there will be no down sampling in poweramp alpha

with those settings poweramp rocks and sounds even better than neutron

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,285 of 4,141
I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I can demo a lot of equipment just a few bus stops from work. Considered AK120II/ FIIO X5, and felt they weren't better than the V20 from the brief AB. Only brought the Mojo after ABing and felt it's worth throwing out 400+ USD and the added inconvenience of carrying another device sometimes e.g extended travel/at work.

Going from a distant memory, I think I'd prefer the V20 over the ak120ii.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,290 of 4,141
So I got to demo one today at a T-Mobile store.

First off, the T-Mobile clerk was the least helpful person I've ever met in service. They had no music on the device and the service person insisted that the wide-angle photo mode was the biggest differentiator for the device. He had no idea about the sound quality or DAC stuff.

My first impression: Way too quiet with my P-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back