LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 30, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,261 of 4,141
  I guess it's just branding and the bundled headphone 
biggrin.gif
 nothing different in the phone itself.

typically it's a verification, that is B&O runs through its proprietary test procedures to evaluate the device, if the results doesn't look bad, then it's qualified to bear the brand.

Yeah. I'm sure that's exactly how it goes too. If someone ISN'T a fan of B&O's sound signatures then this may actually be a good thing. lol Though I owned the 2nd Gen H6 by B&O, so I wouldn't be for that as they sounded fantastic! I just wish the earcups were bigger. They were listed as over-ear headphones but to me they were much closer to on-ear. lol

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,263 of 4,141
Hi guys. I'm a v10 owner for over a year now. Still hanging on to them and love the sound and the durability/aesthetic of the phone with my gold/black LG bumper case.

Although I'm pretty happy with my v10 but I got the upgradtitis bug and I'm thinking about upgrading to v20. Of course I read all the entire thread and I have followed it for weeks now. However... I'm also an old member here and realize the fotm sensation that our brain tricks us when we buy a nice shinny, brand spanking new toy.

So my question is really for the v10 owner who has had their v20 upgrade for a while and could give a more cool-headed side-by-side comparison of the sound quality between these two phones.

How big of an improvement are we talking about here?? Is it easily discernable without a perfect critical listening environment and the best lossless files??

I'm debating on either getting the new v20 or simply look into an upgrade from my shure scs846 with my 6n silver cable.

I did read up on the entire thread but I simply haven't seen any detailed comparison a few weeks after the dust settles from v20 owner. Thanks in advance for your help^.^

As requested, I did a quick side by side on the V10 vs V20 (B&O tuning), both on poweramp alpha 703 OpenSl ES Output, with SE846+stock cable+spin fit tips. I due to limited time I only did it with 1 song I'm familiar with, below are what hit me without a critical listening session:

V20 has better/more treble.
V20 has punchier/crisp instruments especially noticeable in the bass region.
V20 is airier.
V10 is warmer.

Well I guess it may just boil down to better/more treble, hence perceived better air/tighter punch/details. It is noticeable but not day and night, I would call it an improved iteration unless you want something warm.

Depending on what IEM you are looking to upgrade to, that's likely make more difference.

For those of you interested, Chord Mojo beats the V20 easily.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,264 of 4,141
Just realized that mine doesnt have the B&O badge on the back. Are there reports of different internals or tuning between the non B&O and the one with the B&O badge?

Someone from this thread quoted a Chinese site saying the B&O tuning is like 'plain water' i.e less coloured, it is a different tuning with the same hardware. What's interesting to me is if it matters if you use poweramp alpha, which uses the OpenSL ES Output, which skips the Java output which may be where B&O tuned it. Hopefully they did it in the HiFi mode setting.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #1,266 of 4,141
Hi guys. I'm a v10 owner for over a year now. Still hanging on to them and love the sound and the durability/aesthetic of the phone with my gold/black LG bumper case.

Although I'm pretty happy with my v10 but I got the upgradtitis bug and I'm thinking about upgrading to v20. Of course I read all the entire thread and I have followed it for weeks now. However... I'm also an old member here and realize the fotm sensation that our brain tricks us when we buy a nice shinny, brand spanking new toy.

So my question is really for the v10 owner who has had their v20 upgrade for a while and could give a more cool-headed side-by-side comparison of the sound quality between these two phones.

How big of an improvement are we talking about here?? Is it easily discernable without a perfect critical listening environment and the best lossless files??

I'm debating on either getting the new v20 or simply look into an upgrade from my shure scs846 with my 6n silver cable.

I did read up on the entire thread but I simply haven't seen any detailed comparison a few weeks after the dust settles from v20 owner. Thanks in advance for your help^.^

Hello, I posted a comparison covering several genres earlier in this thread. I can't provide any more detail as I no longer have my V10.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,267 of 4,141

As requested, I did a quick side by side on the V10 vs V20 (B&O tuning), both on poweramp alpha 703 OpenSl ES Output, with SE846+stock cable+spin fit tips. I due to limited time I only did it with 1 song I'm familiar with, below are what hit me without a critical listening session:

V20 is airier.
V10 is warmer.

Well I guess it may just boil down to better/more treble, hence perceived better air/tighter punch/details. It is noticeable but not day and night, I would call it an improved iteration unless you want something warm.

Depending on what IEM you are looking to upgrade to, that's likely make more difference.

Ironically, i feel like this drive-by at the end is the most important and least fleshed out line.  In what ways does it beat the 20 easily? Sound quality?  Volume?  Given that it is a dedicated unit, i do expect it to have more output power, but i don't really expect it to sound all the much better (assuming that your cans weren't current starved in the first place).  You have a top end ESS chip being driven by excellent software.. i am not sure how much room for improvement there is..

On a side note (not about the quoted content)..... does it bug anyone else when somebody says something sounds x% better?  Maybe its me, but i have no early idea how to qualify one sound being x% better than another sound; since overall sound quality isn't something measured in a number, i always get confused when people try to give a percentage (i say all this, after reading other opinions in this thread about this or that having 5-10% better sounding sound... )

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,268 of 4,141
  Ironically, i feel like this drive-by at the end is the most important and least fleshed out line.  In what ways does it beat the 20 easily? Sound quality?  Volume?  Given that it is a dedicated unit, i do expect it to have more output power, but i don't really expect it to sound all the much better (assuming that your cans weren't current starved in the first place).  You have a top end ESS chip being driven by excellent software.. i am not sure how much room for improvement there is..

On a side note (not about the quoted content)..... does it bug anyone else when somebody says something sounds x% better?  Maybe its me, but i have no early idea how to qualify one sound being x% better than another sound; since overall sound quality isn't something measured in a number, i always get confused when people try to give a percentage (i say all this, after reading other opinions in this thread about this or that having 5-10% better sounding sound... )

I think people should always preface a '...better than...' with IMHO.  Because that's what it is.  I have both the MoJo and the V20 and although I haven't done an AB comparison, I don't think the MoJo 'beats the V20 easily.'  I think both have their uses while traveling or relaxing at home.

My 2 cents.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,269 of 4,141

V20 is airier.
V10 is warmer.

I have the US non B&O model and my first impressions are different from yours.

The V20 sounds slightly warmer and more full bodied than the V10 while retaining all the detail. It sounds closer to the Oppo BDP 105 in terms of tonality.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,270 of 4,141
I think people should always preface a '...better than...' with IMHO.  Because that's what it is.  I have both the MoJo and the V20 and although I haven't done an AB comparison, I don't think the MoJo 'beats the V20 easily.'  I think both have their uses while traveling or relaxing at home.

My 2 cents.

Well, if you are saying something is better than something else, it's know as an opinion. Personally, I don't see the need for any of the IMHO, YMMV, etc., but hey that's IMHO, YMMV. :wink:

Forgot to add, I finally tried listening to music from my V20, very impressive. Stunning actually. On a quick listen, plenty of driving power, excellent bass response, but I think Mojo has better clarity, extension too. Haven't abed yet either. Just a quick listen. I could easily be happy with the V20 on the go if I didn't have a standalone dap already.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,271 of 4,141

My 2 cents.

I agree with your statement, I have both and both have pro's and Con's. I definitely would not say one beats the other.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,272 of 4,141

The thing is, ESS chips, and all off the shelf chips for that matter, will sound different depending on implementation, power supply, transistors, etc. There are many variables involved. I had the chance to test out the LG V10, Oppo HA-2, Oppo BDP 105, Fiio X7, and the Auralic Vega. They all had the typical ESS sound but their tonality, detail retrievel, sound stage, three deminsonality were all on different levels. The Vega, unsurprisingly easily besting all the other units in a stereo environment.

The reason why I believe the Mojo is better than both the V10 and V20 has to do with how it renders music. With Mojo I can hear differences in timbre among insturments. With the V10 for example, many guitars and piano's sounded similar if not identical, that's not how they sound in real life. Instruments should sound different from one another. Mojo has better PRAT than both devices and renders instruments in a much more believable way.  The piano for example is more full bodied and one can hear the stoping and starting of notes along with all the keys being pressed. Voices are more three dimensional and lifelike. These are just some of the differences I hear. 

All of this would be irrelevent if you plugged in a pair of apple earpods or skullcandy earphones. You would have a much harder time telling the differences. The source and playback chain have to be of high quality for one to fully appreciate the differences.

Now with all that said, I still really much enjoyed the V10 and will continue to enjoy the V20 when I commute and am out and about. The V20 and V10 are much more enjoyable than anything samsung or apple have brought out.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,273 of 4,141
Well, if you are saying something is better than something else, it's know as an opinion. Personally, I don't see the need for any of the IMHO, YMMV, etc., but hey that's IMHO, YMMV.
wink.gif

That made me laugh...thanks!

:)

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,274 of 4,141

I've only had the mojo for 2 days, hence holding off giving anything concrete, from the brief listen here and there, V20 sounds thin, impact and details are not as good in comparison.

As with the post, I have clearly stated my setup for testing, hence power isn't a problem. Also mentioned A12 in the pervious post.

The 'top end' ESS chip in mobile class, whereas the mojo is a custom built DAC system that competes with desktop dac/amps. Your statement only makes sense if you claim the the ESS chip in the V20 is sufficiently powered and comparable or beats ANY other dac chip out there.

The player used is also important, try poweramp alpha vs stock, I strongly disagree with excellent software.....

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,275 of 4,141

I have the US non B&O model and my first impressions are different from yours.

The V20 sounds slightly warmer and more full bodied than the V10 while retaining all the detail. It sounds closer to the Oppo BDP 105 in terms of tonality.

From these impressions, it seems they may be tuned quiet differently, or maybe we're just using different players. I spent very little time with the stock player, poweramp alpha + OpenSL is quiet a different in SQ/tone, hence I mentioned the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back