LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #541 of 4,141
I'm a Note7 refugee, looking for my next replacement. 
frown.gif

Had actually considered the V20 (when it was first talked about but not released) before i got the n7, but have been very happy with Notes, as i DO use their main feature, the stylus, often (have an art degree, and the Note is great for drawing). I also build my own speaker systems and use it to sketch out ideas while trying to engineer a new design.
I've no doubt that the audio on the v20 is clearly better than Notes, or any other phone out there to date, but wondering how other Note refugees are adapting to LG implementation, etc. Also a bit worried about the screen color balance issues, as my day-job is a photographer, and want to be able to transmit photos that are fairly accurate from the field if need be...
But, audio-wise, i was liking the N7 with PowerAmp Alpha (with Experimental Hi-Res output that is). I also have over a dozen custom EQs for various HPs, IEMs, and Speaker systems, which i hope to export. Any problems with using PowerAmp (pro or Alpha build) on the V20? I've been a PA user for years, and a beta-tester--just really think its the best player i've found for my tastes/SQ.  So the QuadDAC is still usable with a non-stock player? From reading the thread, not sure about the DAC implementation--is is at all user-switchable (on/off) or only automatic with the 3.5mm plug-in?
Also, any mSD card issues (brand/size)? i'm hoping to transfer my Samsung 256gb card (already loaded with 20K songs) to the new phone.
I think other than the stylus, the main feature i'll miss is wireless charging. With a removable battery (the main feature i wished the N7 had) i could foresee wireless charging implemented later (yes, the stock back is metal, but a new QI back could be plastic) either by LG or third-party. I've reverted to my Note3 for the time (and am on my second week of waiting for the shipping box from Verizon to return my N7!) and have used a qi coil strip inside the battery compartment easily for years now. Are there any pins for the battery connection inside the LG?
Anyway, THANKS for any help/advice out there--think i just need a very tiny push to hit the order button after my recent misfortunes with the N7! 
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #544 of 4,141
  So far the battery life is much better than with my v10. I'm getting a full day of heavy usage out of it without needing to charge.

I get a longer battery life (about 20% more from my unscientific research) than I did with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and the battery on the v20 is removable, so I plan to order some for when I go camping.

I use my v20 more than my S7 edge cause I don't listen to music from my computer but from the v20 with hi-fi turned on.

Definitely does not last anywhere near the time my iPhone 6 plus did.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #545 of 4,141

I get a longer battery life (about 20% more from my unscientific research) than I did with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and the battery on the v20 is removable, so I plan to order some for when I go camping.

I use my v20 more than my S7 edge cause I don't listen to music from my computer but from the v20 with hi-fi turned on.

Definitely does not last anywhere near the time my iPhone 6 plus did.

20% more battery life than s7e is insane.
Can you tell me your screen on time?

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #547 of 4,141
  I'm a Note7 refugee, looking for my next replacement. 
frown.gif

Had actually considered the V20 (when it was first talked about but not released) before i got the n7, but have been very happy with Notes, as i DO use their main feature, the stylus, often (have an art degree, and the Note is great for drawing). I also build my own speaker systems and use it to sketch out ideas while trying to engineer a new design.
I've no doubt that the audio on the v20 is clearly better than Notes, or any other phone out there to date, but wondering how other Note refugees are adapting to LG implementation, etc. Also a bit worried about the screen color balance issues, as my day-job is a photographer, and want to be able to transmit photos that are fairly accurate from the field if need be...
But, audio-wise, i was liking the N7 with PowerAmp Alpha (with Experimental Hi-Res output that is). I also have over a dozen custom EQs for various HPs, IEMs, and Speaker systems, which i hope to export. Any problems with using PowerAmp (pro or Alpha build) on the V20? I've been a PA user for years, and a beta-tester--just really think its the best player i've found for my tastes/SQ.  So the QuadDAC is still usable with a non-stock player? From reading the thread, not sure about the DAC implementation--is is at all user-switchable (on/off) or only automatic with the 3.5mm plug-in?
Also, any mSD card issues (brand/size)? i'm hoping to transfer my Samsung 256gb card (already loaded with 20K songs) to the new phone.
I think other than the stylus, the main feature i'll miss is wireless charging. With a removable battery (the main feature i wished the N7 had) i could foresee wireless charging implemented later (yes, the stock back is metal, but a new QI back could be plastic) either by LG or third-party. I've reverted to my Note3 for the time (and am on my second week of waiting for the shipping box from Verizon to return my N7!) and have used a qi coil strip inside the battery compartment easily for years now. Are there any pins for the battery connection inside the LG?
Anyway, THANKS for any help/advice out there--think i just need a very tiny push to hit the order button after my recent misfortunes with the N7! 
wink_face.gif

FSTOP, 

My cousin is a huge Note fan too, and he got the V20 early after returning his Note 7. Said he LOVES it and the sound is WELL beyond what the Note 7 could do. He also said the screen, camera, and battery life are fantastic and on par with the Note 7. He said the phone is great and very easy to use, esp is you change the Settings menu from Group to List view. 

I asked him about Poweramp, he said it plays JUST FINE on the V20, and you can still switch the Quad DAC on or off while using Poweramp. 

I myself used N7 but I prefer Poweramp above ALL else. Close second to me in terms of ease of use and sound quality is the Sony Walkman/Music app. 

Hope that helps. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #549 of 4,141
  20% more battery life than s7e is insane.
Can you tell me your screen on time?

Mind you its not scientific, but I spend a lot of time playing this addictive RPG on my phone, so I am on my phone all the time.

Now the S7 does have more m-amps but I believe that Nougat is better at battery performance and the S7 is bloated by Samsung with apps.  I know the 820 snapdragon processor is also better at battery sipping than what the s7 has.

I am using the same launcher and the same apps on both phones, but I get more life out of my v20.  

This is my impression after a week of use.  Your mileage may vary of course.

My screen timeout is 30 seconds on both phones.  On s7e, I did not use the always on display because that would really kill the battery.  On v20, the second display is always on and it still lasts longer.

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #550 of 4,141
well I got today the chance to hear the v20, well I have mixed feelings

first I owned the v10 in the past, and sold it as I found the sound signature not to my liking as I in general do not like sabre dacs and out of memory the v20 sounds nothing better than the v10 out of memory as both were ok

now here is the shocker well and I know many will look at this post and say that could not be true.

well I let me put it this way I have the Samsung s7 edge exynos version, and on it I installed a mod called zubi1982 sound mod and I added v4a in the mix and with that combo it blew the v20 out of the waters even after using the hifi dac

well i really wanted to convice myself to like the v20 and get the v20 instead the s7 edge, but with all dev in xda for Samsung devices and the fun you get from owning a phone with large following in the dev section, i could not get myself to like the v20 more than the s7 edge

yes i know the s 7 edge in USA which is the snapdragon version sucks in sound quality compared to the exynos version that has a cirrus logic dac

well of course i did not get a chance to root the v20 to install mods or v4a

things might change if i can root the v20 but it was not my phone to mess with

i used poweramp alpha and neutron on both phones

in general sabre dacs always to me sound brittle especially at loud volume when this turns into a chaos of sound and everything loses sound quality

i used my zeus r iem, and my bluetooth B&W P7 wireless on both

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #551 of 4,141

FSTOP, 

My cousin is a huge Note fan too, and he got the V20 early after returning his Note 7. Said he LOVES it and the sound is WELL beyond what the Note 7 could do. He also said the screen, camera, and battery life are fantastic and on par with the Note 7. He said the phone is great and very easy to use, esp is you change the Settings menu from Group to List view. 

I asked him about Poweramp, he said it plays JUST FINE on the V20, and you can still switch the Quad DAC on or off while using Poweramp. 

I myself used N7 but I prefer Poweramp above ALL else. Close second to me in terms of ease of use and sound quality is the Sony Walkman/Music app. 

Hope that helps. 

The screen is not on par with the Note 7. Like, not even close. I'm actually PO'd about the screen, coming from a Note 7 to the V20, because a big OEM like LG should be doing much better. Not saying it's bad, per se, but speaking relative to other flagships in this day and age. Colors are dull and not accurate (in terms of the reference RGB space), and there's a significant brightness shift at angles.

Additionally, the V20 is significantly larger than the Note 7, despite having the same primary screen size (understanding that it's taller because of the second screen). The side bezels should be smaller in this day and age for a flagship. To finish, LG's UI is gawd awful aesthetically. I'm also using a Pixel right now and it flies in comparison.

Besides that stuff, it's a decent phone. The camera quality falls slightly short of Samsung's performance, but not a deal breaker to me. And that wide angle lens is sweet. The DAC of course is what will keep me with the V20 - best in a phone thus far in my opinion. But if I wasn't an audiophile, I would not keep the V20.

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #552 of 4,141
  IIRC, One benefit of LG using IPS screens on the V10 and V20 is better color accuracy. Not as bright or vibrant as AMOLED though and uses a bit more power.

Agree 100%, the v20 screen looks better than the Samsung s7e.  I was shocked at how much realistic things looked on my v20.  The AMOLED contrast between blacks and whites was much bigger and to my (IMHO) seemed less realistic.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #553 of 4,141

The screen is not on par with the Note 7. Like, not even close. I'm actually PO'd about the screen, coming from a Note 7 to the V20, because a big OEM like LG should be doing much better. Not saying it's bad, per se, but speaking relative to other flagships in this day and age. Colors are dull and not accurate (in terms of the reference RGB space), and there's a significant brightness shift at angles.

Additionally, the V20 is significantly larger than the Note 7, despite having the same primary screen size (understanding that it's taller because of the second screen). The side bezels should be smaller in this day and age for a flagship. To finish, LG's UI is gawd awful aesthetically. I'm also using a Pixel right now and it flies in comparison.

Besides that stuff, it's a decent phone. The camera quality falls slightly short of Samsung's performance, but not a deal breaker to me. And that wide angle lens is sweet. The DAC of course is what will keep me with the V20 - best in a phone thus far in my opinion. But if I wasn't an audiophile, I would not keep the V20.

Ok I asked my cousin again. He said the screen is not on par, but still he thinks it's really good overall. And yeah it's bigger, but whatever. A phablet is a phablet. lol And for UI, he uses Nova which is much better anyway. 

But he does love the dual screen set up and of course the Quad DAC WIPES THE FLOOR with Samsung's audio quality. He also said the call sound quality is outstanding vs. the Note 7.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #554 of 4,141
Oct 27, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #555 of 4,141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back