LG V20 Sound Quality
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #3,541 of 4,141
As I understand it, aptx hd capability on Smartphones is os version dependant. It is only available for android from Oreo onwards (or so I thought). I have the Audio technica dsr9bt, which is how I discovered my v20 is now aptx hd capable.
Your "discovery" is because you now have a BT receiver capapable of relaying the aptx-HD codec. The LG v20 isnt just capable "now" - it was built with the chip that makes it capable. Of course that chip wasnt available before OS of old. CSR of course makes newer chips backwards compatible with older BT technology, but the hardware is needed for the codec tx/rx. Its a SoC situation. Your phone was capable of it, but both sides need the hardware (and "software" built into the chip) for it to work.
"Believe" what you want, everyone on this thread also believes that SPL's are the only factor in sound quality! :wink:

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,542 of 4,141
Your "discovery" is because you now have a BT receiver capapable of relaying the aptx-HD codec. The LG v20 isnt just capable "now" - it was built with the chip that makes it capable. Of course that chip wasnt available before OS of old. CSR of course makes newer chips backwards compatible with older BT technology, but the hardware is needed for the codec tx/rx. Its a SoC situation. Your phone was capable of it, but both sides need the hardware (and "software" built into the chip) for it to work.
"Believe" what you want, everyone on this thread also believes that SPL's are the only factor in sound quality! :wink:
La Dee da

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #3,543 of 4,141
Just to be clear, you remove the adapter to listen once high impedance mode has been triggered. This will still leave an extension cable, hopefully short and of high quality, in the chain but the effect on sound quality from this should be very minimal.

The difficulty in doing volume matched comparisons between normal and high impedance mode makes it close to impossible to determine whether it is only gain one will achieve by initiating high impedance mode. Initially I thought this was the case but further listening and non volume matched comparisons has left me unconvinced that extra gain is the only change. I am relatively certain there is some imorovement but of course this is purely subjective.

I agree here. But I wo7ld go further that it might be that your head-/earphones sound better thanks to the higher voltage supplied. With some earphones there will be absolutely no difference. With others there might be.

That means both sides of the argument are correct. There is no change and there is noticeable change. At the same time, depending on your transducers.

Cheers.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #3,555 of 4,141
I had the worst luck trying usb cables to feed Mojo with the V20 digitally. usb-c to micro-usb cabling nightmare it seems.
It was much easier with V10 since it was done using simple micro-usb cables.

But again, that defeats the purpose of having a V20 in the first place.
Mojo is highly overrated in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back