LG V20 Sound Quality
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #3,466 of 4,141
I was clearly mistaken.iys standard under 50 ohms. But I'm getting more power than anticipated. I'm very impressed with clarity.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #3,467 of 4,141
Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if anybody has an opinion about Grado headphones paired with the V20. I have an opportunity to buy a like-new RS2e. I know it's a matter of opinion but I'm curious about the V20-RS2e match. I mostly listen to jazz, rock, punk, indie music. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,468 of 4,141
I was clearly mistaken. No wish sack with under 50 ohms. But I'm getting more power than anticipated. I'm very impressed with clarity.
People (not you) should REALLY stop obsessing over the high impedance mode, this is getting ridiculous.
You DO get the Quad-dac engaged even with normal impedance IEMs/headphones.

Many people including me have said it a number of times: high impedance mode DOESN'T sound better with IEMs that don't need high juice and higher volume.

Of course it's annoying not to be able to choose impedance modes, but I really wonder how anyone could prefer a X5iii to V20...
X5iii UI is a complicated mess, and the autonomy is downright horrrible. And I can't even say I heard anything better with the balanced output, unlike the additional power and slight enhanced soundstage that can be appreciated with some other DAPs (not all). It's like X5iii was beta-testing ground for the X7ii (= much better experience).

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,469 of 4,141
People (not you) should REALLY stop obsessing over the high impedance mode, this is getting ridiculous.
You DO get the Quad-dac engaged even with normal impedance IEMs/headphones.

Many people including me have said it a number of times: high impedance mode DOESN'T sound better with IEMs that don't need high juice and higher volume.

Of course it's annoying not to be able to choose impedance modes, but I really wonder how anyone could prefer a X5iii to V20...
X5iii UI is a complicated mess, and the autonomy is downright horrrible. And I can't even say I heard anything better with the balanced output, unlike the additional power and slight enhanced soundstage that can be appreciated with some other DAPs (not all). It's like X5iii was beta-testing ground for the X7ii (= much better experience).

Completely agree.
Triggered with impedance adapter.
Can't ear any difference.
From the little information found here
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/
high impedance just seems a fancy way to call the self adjusting gain control which control the output amplifier voltage.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #3,470 of 4,141
Completely agree.
Triggered with impedance adapter.
Can't ear any difference.
From the little information found here
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/
high impedance just seems a fancy way to call the self adjusting gain control which control the output amplifier voltage.

What seems somewhat clear to me as well, is that turning on hi-gain mode simply forces the class-g voltage/charge pump to high voltage mode (which will be more noisy). It also activates twice the output DAC stages in parallel. They are not differential mode... they are simply additive for twice the voltage swing. This is all to make it louder and more powerful. The cleanest/purest path will be low-gain mode. But to drive a HD600 all cylinders must be firing. Note battery will deplete quicker in this mode, needless to say. It is an awesome sounding SoC though, hi-gain or the best quality in lo-gain.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,473 of 4,141
Use it with your cans you'll be surprised.

In playing music use the default music player. Plays upto 24/192 PCM and DSD128.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3,474 of 4,141
LG v20.jpg

Just got mine about a week ago, I love the sound it's giving me. I wish it was smaller, but not a whole lot I can do about that. The one issue I have: I just loaded it with an SD card last night, and I am having some freezing issues when I play music from the SD card. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

SD Card is 128 gb Samsung Evo Plus u3 UHS-1.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3,475 of 4,141

Just got mine about a week ago, I love the sound it's giving me. I wish it was smaller, but not a whole lot I can do about that. The one issue I have: I just loaded it with an SD card last night, and I am having some freezing issues when I play music from the SD card. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

SD Card is 128 gb Samsung Evo Plus u3 UHS-1.

There is a smaller version of the V20, but I think.it was only marketed in Japan.

I am using the exact same micro SD card in mine. I have had none of those type of issues.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3,476 of 4,141
Jarek, I have no issues w/ mine using the built-in player (it has the best SQ). What app are you using? I have the old Sandisk 128gb.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #3,477 of 4,141
Jarek, I have no issues w/ mine using the built-in player (it has the best SQ). What app are you using? I have the old Sandisk 128gb.

I'm using Sonarworks True-Fi and and I am also using Poweramp Alpha Build 703. It's an intermittent freezing on both apps. It stops the music for about half a second occasionally.

What was the stock player? My Sprint version (cheapest one I could find for $160 USD) doesn't have one.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #3,478 of 4,141
Try using the built-in Music Player. It communicates better w/ the on board DAC. And could play upto DSD128. Others uses the Android layer to play.

Might be some apps working on the background? Wallpaper?

Increase audio buffers on your music app?

Using mine for a year already. Never had problems.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,479 of 4,141
Sorry it seems Sprint have not included most LG apps including the stock Music Player. There is a way of installing it floating around the net (XD A forum).

Try HibyMusic (free), UAPP or Player Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back