LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,497 of 4,141
Yep that is why my GO1K is taking dust. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,498 of 4,141
Has anyone compared the V20 DAC to FiiO E18 DAC?

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3,499 of 4,141
I'm sure this has been stated, but I ran this thing today on wifi and Battery Saver mode for about 8.5 hours and only lost about 29% battery life running local AAC files. I have noticed that streaming over wifi kills the battery though. Very impressive, overall.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #3,501 of 4,141
In theory.

Current max capacity for a microsd is 400gb. Have those 1st Gen 128gb Sandisk in mine.

For daily commuting think it's OK for now. Doing duty also for out of town trips until Geek Wave comes.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #3,502 of 4,141
In theory.

Current max capacity for a microsd is 400gb. Have those 1st Gen 128gb Sandisk in mine.

For daily commuting think it's OK for now. Doing duty also for out of town trips until Geek Wave comes.

Good to know, because now I'm jonesing for a 400 gb card. I had a 128gb card, but through the Ebay sale the other day, I got a 256 gb card for $32 which should hold me over indefinitely, at least until the 400 gb cards drop in price. :wink:

EDIT: the card turned out to be counterfeit. Got a refund immediately.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3,503 of 4,141
Dear all,
I write this post to highlight how much the player choice can affect the sonic quality of our android devices.
Please ignore my preceding posts on the topic, as only with this one I completed and re-analyzed all the measurements.
My focus here is on my LGV20.

I tried measured to measure my V20 H990DS non B&O with RMAA as explained here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...urements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2.800208/

with the mobile loaded with sennheiser ie80 (small load).

For the tests I played RMAA test file in different formats for with different players,with eq off and DAC on.

Concerning various sonic performances, essentially I checked with crosstalk and intermodulation distorsion that the DAC was effectively used.
Notable results:
- if the DAC is used all player have the same measured sonic performance
- rocket player was unable to use the DAC (worse values than the others)
- AIMP only used the DAC with audiotrack method

Then I checked that the frequency response was flat, by looking at the "frequency response swept sine" line; the results are summarized in this list :

Format results for each player, in order: wav / flac / mp3 / opus

AIMP : gentle roll off at 8 kHz / - / gentle roll off at 10 kHz / flat
folder player Peter Shashkin : sharp roll off at 15kHz / - / flat / flat
foobar : sharp roll off at 15kHz / - / - / flat
HYBY : sharp roll off at 15kHz / - / - / -
musicolet : sharp roll off at 15kHz / - / sharp roll off at 16kHz / sharp roll off at 15kHz
neutron : - / sharp roll off at 16 kHz / sharp roll off at 15kHz / -
player pro : - / - / flat / flat
stock pl : gentle roll off at 15 kHz / sharp roll off at 14 kHz / - / sharp roll off at 15kHz

It is very eye-catching the various roll-off at high frequency.
The format which behaves the better is opus.
I suppose this is due to the fact that is natively encoded at 48 kHz, thus by-passing Android re-sampling.

Some remarks:
- I also tried a test with less efficient heaphones and a 75 ohm impedance adapter in the measurement loop for 1 or 2 cases, and found the same frequency response as the preceding cases.
- the only value seriously affected when switching the dac off was stereo crosstalk.
- I compared the results with my old lumia 820, using foobar for windows phone. The test shows a marked roll-off similar to aimp for the V20, but if the wasapi option is chosen the rolloff frequency increase, as in the other players for the V20.
- due to the degradation coming from the lossy formats, the measurements of the Lumia are on par. with the ones of the V20.
- this high frequency roll-off is audible and quite nasty (e.g. metal music, brass or string rich instruments music , e.g. jazz, classical...)

Final thoughts:
- concerning sonic quality, this is not a beautiful show. The frequency response shall be flat ("transparent"), and altered only willingly by equalizers
- I still believe the biggest impact on sonic quality, even more than earphones / speakers is the quality of the recording
- I don't believe high-res music brings any sonic improvement
- I am perplexed of the tests of some websites (e.g. gsmarena) which measure the sonic performance of smartphones, sometimes defining it excellent, while posting a frequency response image showing high frequency roll-off as the one I measured here
- concerning the format choice I chose opus, which is natively 48 kHz (-> no resampling), free, very performant (transparent from 128 kbps, according to these people https://wiki.xiph.org/Opus_Recommended_Settings )
- concerning the player choice, among the ones which have a flat frequency response with opus, I chose AIMP, which supports multiple queues with automatic bookmarking, and supports well opus playback.

Here's the link with the recorded audio files, which you can feed to RMAA, if you wish it.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/729222/V20.zip

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #3,504 of 4,141
I recently bought AptX BT headphones with Active Noise cancelling and the difference in BT with AptX and non APTx is really easy to tell. I thought the JBL 700xxt was a decent pair but this $63 BT headphone I bought on Amazon with AptX blew the JBLs away. Crystal clear sound with AptX.
Could you tell me what's the name of those 63$ headphones?

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #3,506 of 4,141
Just got mine delivered today. Early impressions - hasn't quite got the slam of an ifi, or mojo, but more than holds it's own as far as dac quality goes. Don't have to friggin stack now if I don't want to.
The stock lg player didn't come installed. Is this the best player? Would any player make the most of the dacs?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #3,507 of 4,141
Just got mine delivered today. Early impressions - hasn't quite got the slam of an ifi, or mojo, but more than holds it's own as far as dac quality goes. Don't have to friggin stack now if I don't want to.
The stock lg player didn't come installed. Is this the best player? Would any player make the most of the dacs?

I'm using Neutron which I preferred over PowerAmp in a side by side. I haven't really experimented a ton with UAPP.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #3,509 of 4,141
Hello DAP users. Any of you have experience how the V20 shapes up compared to the Cayin N3 and other midrange DAPs? I may going back the phone and separate DAP route due to personal preference :)

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #3,510 of 4,141
Does anyone know what the power output spec is for the Quad DAC in terms of mW per channel?

Usually it's the measurement is done @ 32ohms load.

For reference the Dragonfly Red has an output power of 135/mW x2. The LG V10 which had a separate Sabre amplifier had 49/mW x2.

I really want to know how powerful the ES9218 SoC in the V20 is so I can compare it to the Chord Mojo and DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back