LG V20 Sound Quality
Aug 11, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 4,141
Press Release:

SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2016 — LG Electronics (LG) announced that its forthcoming flagship smartphone, LG V20, will be the first smartphone in the industry to feature 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) capabilities, bringing a superior audio experience to mobile for the very first time.

A Quad DAC delivers a crisp and clear sound that comes closest to a live performance when using compatible wired headphones. The sound is superior to that produced by a traditional DAC as it can reduce up to 50 percent of ambient noise levels. Videos taken with the V20 are accompanied by a soundtrack that can capture the roaring sound of waves crashing on a beach or conversations among two individuals at a noisy party. 

LG worked closely with ESS Technology, a leader in high-performance analog and audio devices, to ensure that the Quad DAC, delivered the best audio experience for owners of the LG V20. The Quad DAC is the lynchpin of the many cutting-edge multimedia features included in the LG V20. ESS Technology previously provided its 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC in the V10, LG V20’s predecessor.

“As smartphones mature, we’re seeing more and more customers looking beyond just fast processors and big displays in their devices,” said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics and Mobile Communications Company. “Higher quality audio is simply the natural evolution of the smartphone, as the industry moves toward a more holistic multimedia consumption experience. We’re pleased to continue this long-term partnership with ESS and bring best in class audio to LG V20 users.”

“We are extremely excited that our Quad DAC technology will be featured in the V20, LG’s latest flagship smartphone for consumers who demand the best media experience,” said Robert Blair, president and chief executive officer of ESS Technology. “As a technology more typically available in high-end audio equipment, Quad DAC on the V20 will make users feel as if they are carrying around a professional home-audio system on their smartphone.

I'm excited 

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 4,141
Worth trading in my Note 5?

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #19 of 4,141
  Worth trading in my Note 5?

If it's at least as good as the V10 it'll be a clear upgrade in audio vs. the Note 5. Hopefully the V20 is actually better than the V10, which is already great, in which case it'll probably be the best sounding phone on the market

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 4,141

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 4,141
Anyone know what quad DAC even means?

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 4,141
If it's at least as good as the V10 it'll be a clear upgrade in audio vs. the Note 5. Hopefully the V20 is actually better than the V10, which is already great, in which case it'll probably be the best sounding phone on the market

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #25 of 4,141
True... 820 or latest 821 chip?

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #26 of 4,141
Hopefully it'll be the 821!

Here's an interesting tidbit from The Verge:

"LG has collaborated with ESS and engineered a low-power mode whereby three of the DACs automatically shut off when playing back lower-quality music or using lower-quality headsets."

I wonder how the phone will determine whether or not you're using "lower-quality headsets" lol.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #27 of 4,141
  Hopefully it'll be the 821!

Here's an interesting tidbit from The Verge:

"LG has collaborated with ESS and engineered a low-power mode whereby three of the DACs automatically shut off when playing back lower-quality music or using lower-quality headsets."

I wonder how the phone will determine whether or not you're using "lower-quality headsets" lol.

Probably impedance, like the auto gain modes on the V10

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #28 of 4,141

Probably impedance, like the auto gain modes on the V10

While I bet you are right,  I would love to think otherwise.  My v10 reads my LCD-2 cans at around 48 ohms (as seen in also mixer)...  I don't think anyone would call them "low quality"... 

The uncontrollable fain is about my only genuine beef with my v10.  It's not as bad since I got the FIIO E12 on sale,  but still.. That is one setting that should be user overrideable... 

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 4,141
i hope we dont have to mess like we did with v10 in how to engage the amp and dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back