LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,651 of 3,525
The amp is always enabled when any headphone is plugged in. It just goes to normal instead of high for lower impedance headphones but its on either way.

The adoptive amp gets triggered thinking I plugged in a higher impedance phone. If I plug in the longer cable [that came with my V-Moda Crossfade LP] and than either of the HP's I mentioned before, there is a large volume increase when I toggle the Hi-Fi dac in the notification window.Works with both the stock and the my Onkyo HF player. Now my ATH M50s is as loud at 60 as it was at 75 before, or without the HI-Fi dac
Thanks for posting about the dac fix update. Had to update it manually for some reason; didn't get a notification about it or other apps that had updates.

But I'm only seeing bug fixes listed for ver 1.01. Just tested my V10 and still got normal power as before with certain headphones.

That might have been a rushed conclusions on my part, see the edited part of my post you quoted.

Yeah, inline controls always give normal power, no matter the headphone.

Good to know, thanks

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,652 of 3,525
The adoptive amp gets triggered thinking I plugged in a higher impedance phone. If I plug in the longer cable [that came with my V-Moda Crossfade LP] and than either of the HP's I mentioned before, there is a large volume increase when I toggle the Hi-Fi dac in the notification window.Works with both the stock and the my Onkyo HF player. Now my ATH M50s is as loud at 60 as it was at 75 before, or without the HI-Fi dac

I think you might be triggering the more powerful AUX mode I posted about a few weeks ago:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

You can touch on the 32-bit Hifi dac setting (towards the bottom of the Sounds and Notifications settings) when its on to see which power mode you're in.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,653 of 3,525
I'm using the headphone adapter from my daughter's LifeProof case and by plugging that in first and then my headphones, it triggers the Hi-Fi DAC as an AUX external device instead of headphones.

The volume is louder...40 would sound like it was about 60 without it.
With the EQ app Sound amplifier...about 5 more.

Not sure if this is considered as "bypassing" the automatic adjustments.

Can this actually have any negative issues with more boost in volume?
I never "max" out, usually listen at a comfortable level around 40 with this technique at the loudest...average level is at 30/35.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,654 of 3,525
Dec 27, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,655 of 3,525
I'm using the headphone adapter from my daughter's LifeProof case and by plugging that in first and then my headphones, it triggers the Hi-Fi DAC as an AUX external device instead of headphones.

I never "max" out, usually listen at a comfortable level around 40 with this technique at the loudest...average level is at 30/35.
Other than using more battery power, depending on the voltage output, I doubt it would affect anything else.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,656 of 3,525
Well I think the latest "DAC Fix" update enabled the the amp for lower impedance phones like the ATH m50 and Nad HP-50 to run at much higher output than before. The ability to do this was my biggest complaint against this phone, and now it seems it's gone. Again kudos for the developer for this gem!

Edit: it is maybe the cable I was using, the longer of the 2 V Moda cables I use for the above headphones seems maybe what triggers the amp, as the shorter with the inline controls won't do it. Well whatever it works.
biggrin.gif

yea I'm finding the Dac Fix plus an Aux Cable works best 

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,657 of 3,525
'Tis a sad day for me: I decided to give my V10 back to T-Mobile (Jump OnDemand). I loved everything about the phone except for its size (okay, I didn't love the fingerprint scanner, but whatever). I just couldn't stand carrying it around. It really sucks because it is the first phone I have owned with such great audio quality and I've had almost every Android flagship to come out in the last three years. I'm already partially regretting my choice. I really, really hope LG (or someone) comes out with a more reasonably-sized phone with this kind of audio quality. I know phablets are popular these days, but I just hate it. The S6 Edge was the perfect size for me, so maybe the S7 will come with the rumored ESS Sabre DAC. Here's to hoping. Sad day for me. 

-Collin-

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,659 of 3,525
There was a poster who preferred the sound of the note 5. Has anyone else compared the v10 to note 5?

actually yea, a buddy of mine at work [I work @tMobile #TEAM MAGENTA] ehm an he's really disappointed with the quality of sound in the Note 5, we had a discussion about this today actually 

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,660 of 3,525
  'Tis a sad day for me: I decided to give my V10 back to T-Mobile (Jump OnDemand). I loved everything about the phone except for its size (okay, I didn't love the fingerprint scanner, but whatever). I just couldn't stand carrying it around. It really sucks because it is the first phone I have owned with such great audio quality and I've had almost every Android flagship to come out in the last three years. I'm already partially regretting my choice. I really, really hope LG (or someone) comes out with a more reasonably-sized phone with this kind of audio quality. I know phablets are popular these days, but I just hate it. The S6 Edge was the perfect size for me, so maybe the S7 will come with the rumored ESS Sabre DAC. Here's to hoping. Sad day for me. 

-Collin-

Funny how preferences vary.

The size was the only thing holding me back from getting this phone.  I thought phablets were absurd and swore I'd never own one.

Just yesterday, after owning the phone for about a month, I was telling my wife how completely normal and natural it felt.  It's hard to imagine going back to a normal sized phone now.

Pretty shocking to me, really.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,661 of 3,525

Funny how preferences vary.

The size was the only thing holding me back from getting this phone.  I thought phablets were absurd and swore I'd never own one.

Just yesterday, after owning the phone for about a month, I was telling my wife how completely normal and natural it felt.  It's hard to imagine going back to a normal sized phone now.

Pretty shocking to me, really.  

That's pretty much exactly like myself. I didn't want a phone quite this big and decided to give it a shot because of all the other features. Now, I can't even hold my wife's iphone (or my old 1st gen moto x) without wisecracking about how small it is. For me, it was really just a matter of accepting that it is a two handed ordeal to use the phone. (small hands.) Once I made that concession, I was fine. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,662 of 3,525
That's pretty much exactly like myself. I didn't want a phone quite this big and decided to give it a shot because of all the other features. Now, I can't even hold my wife's iphone (or my old 1st gen moto x) without wisecracking about how small it is. For me, it was really just a matter of accepting that it is a two handed ordeal to use the phone. (small hands.) Once I made that concession, I was fine. 

But there is the shrink the screen feature for one hand use

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,663 of 3,525
Thinking of buying this phone in the UK despite it not having an official release yet but got a couple of questions.  I've had a quick browse of the thread but thought I'd just get in and ask.

1 - I'm assuming that ~I can connect OTG to my Mojo? 
2- Does the Hi-fi dac work with Spotify and Tidal?  I read earlier in the thread that this ability had been lost with a fw update,has it been reinstated?

The first question is because I've been looking for a DAP for on the go use instead of carrying my phone/mojo stack but would settle for the V10 if I can use on it's own but also use with the Mojo at home etc.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,664 of 3,525
OTG should work, havent tested myself.

Tidal has always worked eith the hifi dac. Spotify and pretty much all other music apps can work now as well, there is an app on the market that tricks the hifi dac into coming on with all music apps as far as i know.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,665 of 3,525
OTG should work, havent tested myself.

Tidal has always worked eith the hifi dac. Spotify and pretty much all other music apps can work now as well, there is an app on the market that tricks the hifi dac into coming on with all music apps as far as i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back