LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #406 of 3,525
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #408 of 3,525
Musicbee (my PC music player of choice) allows for alac to be converted to flac. I spent a couple hours this morning converting probably about 50 or so albums from alac to flac. I formatted my 128GB SD card and I am reloading it with all my music again right now. 

I'm listening to the V10 with some brand spankin new Hifiman RE-400's that just came in the mail about 15 minutes ago. They definitely have more bass than the old RE-Zero, but I hope the top end opens up with some break in because I feel that the top end is better on my old RE-Zero. It also doesn't help that I've been listening to my Q701 all morning, my brain is used to the extra space and openness of them right now. Sounds mostly good though.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #409 of 3,525
last I'll say about the v10 sonically is it's on Par with my old iPod Nano Gen 3, the signiture is different. an Ess Sabre Chip vs a wolfson each with it's respective sound signiture.

But in terms of quality, the two seem to be hand in hand. The biggest differance, is the v10 brings what i feel  is classic iPod Quality of Sound, with the HUGE improvement in terms of UI an Androids massive open source market

sonically, the Ess Sabre chips tend to have a more Open "defined" or edgy sound. The Wolfson's are warmer, with mids a touch forward an a little more body in the bass

so it really boils down to preferance

I'll need to see now how the ESS Sabre chipset in the v10 scales with nicer headphones :3

either way, I don't regret the purchase 

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #410 of 3,525
Just picked up the v10 a few days ago.  I gotta say I am impressed with the audio performance from it.  Up until this point my primary mobile music player was the Fiio X1, which is impressive for the price.  I will say that the v10 seems to have a little more juice when it comes to volume and proper amping.  Right now I am listening to them via my Shure 1540's, and all I gotta say is I am in audio bliss.  The v10 has an edgy, dynamic sound that really makes the 1540 shine. 

I also appreciate LG positioning the DAC near the audio jack as this reduces any form of interference or cross-talk.  Nice to see a phone company making great music phones!

The final perk, 64gb built in memory, and a sd card slot.  If you are thinking about getting the v10 and life in the US get one before the 15th of November, as LG will send you a 200gb sd card for free!

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #411 of 3,525
The only time there is noise is when its plugged in to charge.

Day 3: This thing is still quite impressive. Have been listening to headphones with it pretty much non stop since i got it friday afternoon. It sounds great with all my headphones, but its doing exceptional with my Q701. I see no reason why Id ever need to plug them into my desktop setup ever again. This sounds just as good, actually better in some ways.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #412 of 3,525
The final perk, 64gb built in memory, and a sd card slot.  If you are thinking about getting the v10 and life in the US get one before the 15th of November, as LG will send you a 200gb sd card for free!

What are the details on that? Whom do you purchase to get the SD Card, as that would be stellar

I'll also say I've swapped into Neutron Audio as my player, had to pay like $4.99 for it. But it's doing a damn fine job! It has a nice 10band EQ running as low as 32hrz, it also has a nice gambit of features. I'll really have to play with it to get the best out of it. But utilizing the DSP effects yeilds a better sound than just using the Oppo HF Player

that said I think I'm going to tweak the DSP a little more an pit the v10 viaDSP against my HM901 with it's standard amp card. 

I'll also mention, Neutron has a Hardware control volume Slider, with it I was able to get a little more headroom out of my v10. Putting it Volume wise up with the iPod nano. Using the slider in the software does increase the slider in the UI as well, there's also a preAmp setting as well. Though increasing it by even marginal amounts create's some nasty noise [obviously] I slide it down to -2.5 as I usually eq up by about 2db's [it's a pain to eq everything else down 2dbs. Though the PreAmp kinda does that] 

Point being, this phone sounds a LOT better, with a nice set of software features on top of that nice ESS Sabre Dac, this player has a nice set of hardware features as well. All in all it's really pushing this phone byound the iPod! So much so I'm making my iPod the Gym Dap now. Which works as it's small an durable! Gonna have my v10 out an about when I don't wanna carry the hm901 an crew to an from. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #414 of 3,525
You have to send a copy of your receipt to lg. They gave me a form from tmobile, which also includes a free battery and charger or charging dock.

You can do it online and take a picture of the receipt.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #416 of 3,525
Yeah, all you gotta do is send in verification that the phone is yours. The promotion is valid from either T-mobile or AT&T.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #417 of 3,525
What are the details on that? Whom do you purchase to get the SD Card, as that would be stellar

I'll also say I've swapped into Neutron Audio as my player, had to pay like $4.99 for it. But it's doing a damn fine job! It has a nice 10band EQ running as low as 32hrz, it also has a nice gambit of features. I'll really have to play with it to get the best out of it. But utilizing the DSP effects yeilds a better sound than just using the Oppo HF Player

that said I think I'm going to tweak the DSP a little more an pit the v10 viaDSP against my HM901 with it's standard amp card. 

I'll also mention, Neutron has a Hardware control volume Slider, with it I was able to get a little more headroom out of my v10. Putting it Volume wise up with the iPod nano. Using the slider in the software does increase the slider in the UI as well, there's also a preAmp setting as well. Though increasing it by even marginal amounts create's some nasty noise [obviously] I slide it down to -2.5 as I usually eq up by about 2db's [it's a pain to eq everything else down 2dbs. Though the PreAmp kinda does that] 

Point being, this phone sounds a LOT better, with a nice set of software features on top of that nice ESS Sabre Dac, this player has a nice set of hardware features as well. All in all it's really pushing this phone byound the iPod! So much so I'm making my iPod the Gym Dap now. Which works as it's small an durable! Gonna have my v10 out an about when I don't wanna carry the hm901 an crew to an from. 

Last time I checked, the V10 didn't do well with neutron player, the hifi components do not work correctly with neutron

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #418 of 3,525
No OLED screen,so that's not for me.

Once upon a time (circa. 2010) OLED may have been the best small screen technology available for smartphones and tablets, however the newer IPS LCD panels are much better, particularly outdoors and in very well-lit areas where OLEDs can be difficult to see.
I just got the V10 on Fri. 30 OCT & so far the screen is vastly superior to my eyes than the OLED screens on the various Galaxy phones around my house.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #419 of 3,525
I still cant get over how good this thing sounds. Its so clear and detailed, but it somehow does it without ever sounding harsh or tiring. Its extremely detailed but it doesnt shove it in your face.

My JDS Labs ODAC along with my emotiva speaker amp with the Q701 plugged into it sounds just as detailed but it for some reason doesnt sound as clean. It presents everything in a way that is like detail overload and wears me out pretty quick.

The Q701 with the V10 again is extremely clean and detailed but it doesnt get tiring and wear me out. Cymbals sound insane, this is where it is the most obvious. Cymbals are so clear and sparkly. The bass also hits pretty sharply and has a lot of texture. Better attack and speed i guess.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #420 of 3,525
I still cant get over how good this thing sounds. Its so clear and detailed, but it somehow does it without ever sounding harsh or tiring. Its extremely detailed but it doesnt shove it in your face.

My JDS Labs ODAC along with my emotiva speaker amp with the Q701 plugged into it sounds just as detailed but it for some reason doesnt sound as clean. It presents everything in a way that is like detail overload and wears me out pretty quick.

The Q701 with the V10 again is extremely clean and detailed but it doesnt get tiring and wear me out. Cymbals sound insane, this is where it is the most obvious. Cymbals are so clear and sparkly. The bass also hits pretty sharply and has a lot of texture. Better attack and speed i guess.

May want to bring this impressions into the other review thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back