LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,156 of 3,525

Ummmm, okay.  

On sale for $572 if you choose monthly payments.  Kind of funny that you don't get the discount if you buy the device outright.

-$100 for UPGRADE promo entered at checkout = $472.  I assume this only works for people who are due for a phone upgrade.

-$100 for LG Rebate = $372.

But that's cool.  Guess I'm either a liar, or just really bad at math.  And, as a math teacher, that would be highly unfortunate. 

Weird.. I went to the Verizon store nearby today. They were not offering it for $572 for monthly plan... 
The max they could do was 472 after 200 dollars of rebate + verizon prepaid card.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,157 of 3,525
  Weird.. I went to the Verizon store nearby today. They were not offering it for $572 for monthly plan... 
The max they could do was 472 after 200 dollars of rebate + verizon prepaid card.

Yeah, I did all this online.  

This is what I see when I shop online:

I didn't expect the UPGRADE promo code to work on top of this, but lo and behold...there was much rejoicing.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,159 of 3,525
  Congrats on getting your V10.

Recommend using headphones rated over 50 ohms to hear the power it can output. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Thanks. 
My device will arrive tomorrow. I'm selling my Note 4 for that. I usually never spend much money on cellphones. I lived with 23 dollar prepaid cricket phone for many years... I bought Note 4 because it was compatible with all of the portable USB DACs. 
For one year, I used Note 4 with iBasso D55. However, I found that it's too hassle to carry this kind of setup around all the time (Note 4, D55, USB cable, headphone). 
If V10 is on par with DX100, I'm switching to this. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,160 of 3,525
Congrats on getting your V10.

Recommend using headphones rated over 50 ohms to hear the power it can output. I think you'll really enjoy it.

This is ridiculous. It powers under 50 ohm headphones superbly. I'm tired of this myth that this isn't the case for the majority of low impedance headphones.

Do we really think that LG or ESS would handicap their device to only work well with higher impedance headphones? That's nuts

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,162 of 3,525
The only headphones this phone will have trouble with will be low impedance with low sensitivity. Anything with a decent sensitivity will be fine regardless of the impedance. People have even reported good results with the 300ohm HD650.

Simply saying to use a headphone over 50ohm is kind of silly, to put it kindly. The thing I have learned the most from the two V10 threads is that a lot of people listen way to loudly. Even with quieter recordings i have still never turned the volume past 40 out of 75 with any of my headphones, including the somewhat hard to drive Q701. 40 out of 75 is only 53%, so I have never pushed it past 53%.

You can tell this amp is capable of pushing out a lot of power. I would be interested to see some measurements of what it can do at some various impedances. My ears are telling me all i really need to know, but I'd be curious just to see.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,163 of 3,525
The only headphones this phone will have trouble with will be low impedance with low sensitivity. Anything with a decent sensitivity will be fine regardless of the impedance. People have even reported good results with the 300ohm HD650.

Simply saying to use a headphone over 50ohm is kind of silly, to put it kindly. The thing I have learned the most from the two V10 threads is that a lot of people listen way to loudly. Even with quieter recordings i have still never turned the volume past 40 out of 75 with any of my headphones, including the somewhat hard to drive Q701. 40 out of 75 is only 53%, so I have never pushed it past 53%.

You can tell this amp is capable of pushing out a lot of power. I would be interested to see some measurements of what it can do at some various impedances. My ears are telling me all i really need to know, but I'd be curious just to see.

How would you compare V10's SQ to that of ODAC? does it come close??
I'm looking for professional reference sound. I work in music studios. I need the same sound quality that I can get out of my audio interface on the go.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,164 of 3,525
How would you compare V10's SQ to that of ODAC? does it come close??
I'm looking for professional reference sound. I work in music studios. I need the same sound quality that I can get out of my audio interface on the go.

I have not even listened to my desktop setup since getting the V10. The V10 has been my only source with headphones since getting it on October 30th. I have had no desire to use my desktop setup since. The ODAC is not a "new" design anymore and was never "high end" to begin with though. I'm sure there are "better sounding" DAC's out there.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything by using the V10 over my desktop setup.

Also, I've read comments by people on here saying that portable setups are a waste of time and money and that desktop setups will always sound better worlds better. They are either full of crap, or have better ears than me. Listening to my favorite music with the V10 & Q701 leaves me with no desire to upgrade or try other gear.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,165 of 3,525
I have not even listened to my desktop setup since getting the V10. The V10 has been my only source with headphones since getting it on October 30th. I have had no desire to use my desktop setup since. The ODAC is not a "new" design anymore and was never "high end" to begin with though. I'm sure there are "better sounding" DAC's out there.

Also, I've read comments by people on here saying that portable setups are a waste of time and money and that desktop setups will always sound better worlds better. They are either full of crap, or have better ears than me. Listening to my favorite music with the V10 & Q701 leaves me with no desire to upgrade or try other gear.

I got rid of my Fiio e18 dac/amp, I was more then happy with the sound quality & portability of my V10, in combination with my HD650s, I don't miss my external Dac at all, more than happy.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,166 of 3,525
Don't know how some people can misinterpret the word recommend as meaning some sort of requirement?

Of course you can use headphones with lower impedance. Plenty of them are sensitive enough but not all. My Oppo PM-3s at 26 ohms can definitely use more power if available and sound better doing so.

Having more power doesn't mean playing them louder. They just sound better with more power at lower volumes since nothing in the chain working too hard. If more power is meaningless, why do desktop headphones amps even exist?

I ONLY recommended the 50+ ohms as a heads up for the new owner so he could try out his new phone/dap/investment on high and see one of it's capabilities.

Hopefully LG will add more sound options but they may need a disclaimer for average consumers who are less familiar with this stuff so they don't accidentally damage their hearing. Can't help but think it'll be like the common sense warning label on coffee cups saying: "Liquid may be hot."

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,167 of 3,525
Gotcha. If anyone Wants crazy loud, get an HM5. I can't take my Brainwavz HM5 past 25 out of 75. It's 64 ohms, but also very sensitive. Being that its 64ohms it puts the amp into the high impedance mode, but these really dont need it. This was a real surprise when i first plugged these in.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,169 of 3,525
Gotcha. If anyone Wants crazy loud, get an HM5. I can't take my Brainwavz HM5 past 25 out of 75. It's 64 ohms, but also very sensitive. Being that its 64ohms it puts the amp into the high impedance mode, but these really dont need it. This was a real surprise when i first plugged these in.

I used to have a pair of Yamaha Pro 500s. They were the most sensitive headphones I've ever used.  Couldn't put my Note 3 anywhere near max volume with those as they got incredibly loud.

Im using playerpro as my stock music player now , i disabled the stock music player:blush:. Also noozy music player works witj the dac:grinning:.

Thanks. Gonna try both of them out.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,170 of 3,525

Perfect...

That's exactly what I've been looking for. Some DAPs sound as good as my desktop setup but they all have firmware and battery problems, not to mention about their ridiculous price. 
I sold all of my DAPs eventually. They're all faulty in many ways... they're more expensive than smartphones but can't reach 10% of functionality and quality of a smartphone. Those expensive DAPs are all coming from very obscure Chinese companies which not many people know about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back