LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Aug 3, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,006 of 1,179
Sony often release no VL's on their US models, so LG could have done the same thing. This phone was heavily marketed because of its audio prowess, so why cripple it? Makes no sense. Anyway it's a done deal, but one can only hope they will not make the same mistake. We shall see.

I cant say i have ever felt my US model V10 is crippled. It can get my 650s and even my LCD-2 uncomfortably loud.. there is no volume cap at all.  I just wish they had main the gain selectable for low impedance low sensitivity cans.. but not the end of the word either.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,007 of 1,179
I cant say i have ever felt my US model V10 is crippled. It can get my 650s and even my LCD-2 uncomfortably loud.. there is no volume cap at all.  I just wish they had main the gain selectable for low impedance low sensitivity cans.. but not the end of the word either.

Who said there is a volume cap? Please read carefully, we have been discussing the gain setting here. Instead of quoting the last post see what was said before it. :wink:

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,008 of 1,179
Who said there is a volume cap? Please read carefully, we have been discussing the gain setting here. Instead of quoting the last post see what was said before it.
wink.gif

Um.. read again.. The first line in what i quoted:

"Sony often release no VL's on their US models, so LG could have done the same thing"

Unless VL means something other than volume limits, we were discussing that as well.  Following along, the post you quoted was talking about capping the amp (which correlates).  As it is, neither the amp's volume or gain is capped anywhere on the US models; rather, it is just arbitrarily limited to high impedance cans, rather than user selectable as it should be.

As you said, please try to keep up... :wink:

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,009 of 1,179
Um.. read again.. The first line in what i quoted:

"Sony often release no VL's on their US models, so LG could have done the same thing"

Unless VL means something other than volume limits, we were discussing that as well.  Following along, the post you quoted was talking about capping the amp (which correlates).  As it is, neither the amp's volume or gain is capped anywhere on the US models; rather, it is just arbitrarily limited to high impedance cans, rather than user selectable as it should be.

As you said, please try to keep up... :wink:

The conversation was concluded before you quoted me and drawing wrong conclusion on your own is just that. You just here to argue so I'm just gonna clear my screen of that nonsense along with you.
Cheers!!!

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,010 of 1,179
The conversation was concluded before you quoted me and drawing wrong conclusion on your own is just that. You just here to argue so I'm just gonna clear my screen of that nonsense along with you.
Cheers!!!

Actually, i was just here to discuss the v10 (as i had been doing prior) and got caught up in your snark (about a somehow done but not done conversation).  But, whatever floats your boat..  i am still here to talk about the phone!

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,012 of 1,179
Everybody bitching about the gain, get a pair of Portapros. They're 50 ohms, so they trigger high gain and can get ear bleedingly loud and sound surprisingly good for under 40 bucks usually...

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,013 of 1,179
Everybody bitching about the gain, get a pair of Portapros. They're 50 ohms, so they trigger high gain and can get ear bleedingly loud and sound surprisingly good for under 40 bucks usually...

+1

They hit every check mark: cheap, good sounding, extremely portable (folds up to the size your palm), and instant high power on the V10 (without the in-line remote).

Read a post a while back where someone said the Portapros sound good with everything. Can't forget it because I'm still wondering how is that a bad thing?

Also can't forget the guy behind the (now) 5-10K Tera Player recommending the Portapros as the best pairing for his player.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #1,014 of 1,179
+1

They hit every check mark: cheap, good sounding, extremely portable (folds up to the size your palm), and instant high power on the V10 (without the in-line remote).

Read a post a while back where someone said the Portapros sound good with everything. Can't forget it because I'm still wondering how is that a bad thing?

Also can't forget the guy behind the (now) 5-10K Tera Player recommending the Portapros as the best pairing for his player.

My jaw hit the floor the first time I heard the Portapros on my old M8. They're even better with the V10! I'd heard about them for years but figured they only sounded good for what they were, 35 dollar headphones. I was wrong, they just sound good period lol.

I do 4-5 large scale commercial installations a year and listen to music all day with headphones while I'm working. I had a bunch of $50-100 iem's and just couldn't find any that I loved, sound or comfort, so I figured I'd try the Portapros. Best 35 bucks I've ever spent in the audio world. Are they the best for critical listening? Not quite, but that's what my HD650 rig is for. Out and about, they're pretty awesome...

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,015 of 1,179
I'm tired of hearing everyone bitch about the gains not being user selectable. Every single headphone or IEM I've plugged into this thing sounds loud enough at 40 or under out of 75 with hi-fi on.

It's meant to be a great sounding phone. It's not supposed to destroy dedicated music players costing $500 or more. If you have headphones that are that hard to drive then they shouldn't be plugged into a cell phone. Either that, or some of you are listening to loud and are killing your hearing, or already have done so. This thing sounds awesome and has tons of power for a phone, but it is still a phone.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,016 of 1,179
I'm tired of hearing everyone bitch about the gains not being user selectable. Every single headphone or IEM I've plugged into this thing sounds loud enough at 40 or under out of 75 with hi-fi on.

It's meant to be a great sounding phone. It's not supposed to destroy dedicated music players costing $500 or more. If you have headphones that are that hard to drive then they shouldn't be plugged into a cell phone. Either that, or some of you are listening to loud and are killing your hearing, or already have done so. This thing sounds awesome and has tons of power for a phone, but it is still a phone.

+1

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,017 of 1,179
I suspect they are region dependent. Not all v10s sound the same in terms of output power...I faced this issue long time ago with portable sony products...Nearly all same models made for sale in european union had lesser power output.
Maybe thats the case with v10 too?

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,018 of 1,179

You mean, aside from the fact that the phone was advertised as being a dedicated music playing phone, with software (and hardware) built specifically to taken on (based on their ratings) up to 600ohm cans?

As it is, the gap between dedicated players, and phones like this is narrowing QUICKLY.  Look at the Onkyo, Panasonic, and even Fiio X7 DAPs.  The only difference between them and a phone like the V10  is that they dont have a cellular radio.  Now, i fully acknowledge that the DAPS should have a slightly cleaner sound given their purpose, and the Fiio has the nice ability to swap amps.  But i think people are a little too hung up on "stand alone" devices being something magical now.. they are really not that different..

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #1,019 of 1,179

It's a valid complaint because it's kind of a poor set-up that cripples the hardware needlessly. There is a highly capable DAC and amp in this phone. I don't think it was meant to "destroy" $500 DAPs, but I do believe that it can legitimately go toe-to-toe with many mid-tier DAPs. Of course it's fine with many headphones and IEMs that were designed with portable use in mind, and if that's all you use well good for you, I guess, but the amp here is also capable of driving less efficient headphones that most smartphones just don't have the power to drive. Sometimes even efficient headphones could benefit. Problem is, impedance is only one factor in how efficient a headphone is and how well it responds to more power from an amp, so designing an automatic system purely based on impedance isn't ideal for many situations. I get that this is not a factor for most consumers, but if you're gonna design an "audiophile" smartphone, it makes sense to take audiophile needs in consideration, and user selectable gain modes are a pretty obvious one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back