LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Aug 1, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #976 of 1,179
I think the best way to put it is the V10 is an extraordinary deal, such a great stable phone and DAP in one, with a crisp clear screen that doesn't look fake like a over saturated LED screen does.
I much prefer this style of screen for long viewing times.
The build feels tough and solid, though the exposed stainless steal sides are slippery, and you need a cover to regain grip, I use a obliq skin case, and it includes a gripped edge, which feels great in hand, and still allows quick battery swaps.

The sound of this V10 is growing on me, and I feel it's more than enough as a mid tear DAP, especially with the right system settings.

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #978 of 1,179
Well, as long as it is better than the X3 i'm happy. I never really liked the X3. The audio quality was good, but for some reason the sound always felt distant. Not sure if i'd call it muffled, just kinda pushed back or washed out, even at high volume. I never had the same issue with my iPod classic, despite the fact the X3 was better in a lot of other respects. Any improvement over that would be very welcome, and if it is better than the X5 it would still be an extraordinary deal. 

I don't know why but my Ipad Air 2 performs better than the V10 pairing with some headphones that I own.

Apple made easy going devices that sounds good with just about everything that a portable device can drive, the V10 is somewhat very tricky to pair. As long as your headphones are rated over 50 ohms it will trigger the high gain and the SQ will be awesome but using it at low gain reminds me of a mere Sony Z3.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #979 of 1,179
Can it not be forced to trigger with every headphone? I don't know how much my Shure 215 are, but if the hifi amp doesn't work with them this device is pretty much useless. I already have a desktop Schiit amp for my Sennheiser. I assume worst come to worst a rooting would give me the option to turn the amp at will, right? 

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #980 of 1,179
  Can it not be forced to trigger with every headphone? I don't know how much my Shure 215 are, but if the hifi amp doesn't work with them this device is pretty much useless. I already have a desktop Schiit amp for my Sennheiser. 

The hifi audio works with every headphone, it simply has 3 automatic gain modes. If you earphones are sensitive enough, you might find that there's no benefit of tricking it out of low gain. If you do want more power, and you don't want to root the phone, you can either buy a short headphone jack extender, and plug it in first before the earphones, or you can detach one of the earphones and plug in the cable first. This will trick the phone into aux mode, which is medium gain

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #981 of 1,179

Well, as long as it is better than the X3 i'm happy. I never really liked the X3. The audio quality was good, but for some reason the sound always felt distant. Not sure if i'd call it muffled, just kinda pushed back or washed out, even at high volume. I never had the same issue with my iPod classic, despite the fact the X3 was better in a lot of other respects. Any improvement over that would be very welcome, and if it is better than the X5 it would still be an extraordinary deal. 

I know people will judge me here but I highly doubt it can beat X5. I have fiio X3II and V10 and can say that fiio has technically superior sound. Treble extension of V10 is a joke compared to fiio's (although treble quantity is more on LG). Don't get me wrong I love the sound of V10, it is more musical, sound comes closer to years and gets you more involved with music, also bass is more revealed and has better punch compared to fiio-s laid back representation. But you can easily tell that fiio has cleaner, more detailed and more airy sound. With my Sony 1R LG would be clear winner since sony's treble isn't good enough to take advantage of good extension but for my beyerdynamic DT880 V10 clearly lacks extension which affects width of a soundstage as well..

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #982 of 1,179
  I know people will judge me here but I highly doubt it can beat X5. I have fiio X3II and V10 and can say that fiio has technically superior sound. Treble extension of V10 is a joke compared to fiio's (although treble quantity is more on LG). Don't get me wrong I love the sound of V10, it is more musical, sound comes closer to years and gets you more involved with music, also bass is more revealed and has better punch compared to fiio-s laid back representation. But you can easily tell that fiio has cleaner, more detailed and more airy sound. With my Sony 1R LG would be clear winner since sony's treble isn't good enough to take advantage of good extension but for my beyerdynamic DT880 V10 clearly lacks extension which affects width of a soundstage as well..

Well, i own an original X5 and V10, and personally find the quality on the V10 to be better than the X5. Ironically, i found the v10 to be far cleaner and detailed, especially with Poweramp V3 running. Obviously, everyone will have their own opinions, as we all hear things differently; to my ears, the v10 happily relegated my X5 to a drawer for backup only.

I also feel its worth pointing out.. there is alot of value to be had in an open OS like on the V10, vs the closed OS on the FIIO.  With the V10, i am able to try one of many programs (which can have an effect on the output), use a USB DAC/AMP, and have an infinitely better UI than that bloody scroll wheel.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #983 of 1,179
  Well, i own an original X5 and V10, and personally find the quality on the V10 to be better than the X5. Ironically, i found the v10 to be far cleaner and detailed, especially with Poweramp V3 running. Obviously, everyone will have their own opinions, as we all hear things differently; to my ears, the v10 happily relegated my X5 to a drawer for backup only.

I also feel its worth pointing out.. there is alot of value to be had in an open OS like on the V10, vs the closed OS on the FIIO.  With the V10, i am able to try one of many programs (which can have an effect on the output), use a USB DAC/AMP, and have an infinitely better UI than that bloody scroll wheel.

To be honest V10 has relegetad my X3II as well because it is more fun to listen in most circumstances. But if I compare their raw sounds pure technically than I can see fiio's advantage. I just can't help but noticing lack of treble extension though, I also use poweramp 3 and I find it improves the extension but still not up to fiio-s standard.  Have u noticed at least slightly, lack of extension about V10 extension or it is just me.. and also do you think Soundstage is as wide as X5?

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #984 of 1,179
  To be honest V10 has relegetad my X3II as well because it is more fun to listen in most circumstances. But if I compare their raw sounds pure technically than I can see fiio's advantage. I just can't help but noticing lack of treble extension though, I also use poweramp 3 and I find it improves the extension but still not up to fiio-s standard.  Have u noticed at least slightly, lack of extension about V10 extension or it is just me.. and also do you think Soundstage is as wide as X5?

No, i cant say i have noticed any extension problems (though i will admit, i use either HD650 or LCD-2, which are obviously not known for blooming highs).  And honestly, in terms of technical sounds, i feel that the v10 is all round better, including soundstage (and details, and bass, etc..). Personally, i found the x5 somewhat disappointing overall.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #985 of 1,179
I would say the treble extension of the V10 is probably better than the hearing threshold of the vast majority of it's listeners, which will keep falling as years come by. Having said that I also noticed that it's top end does sound a bit mellow, but I would still consider it "airy" and also very "spacious" in its upper midrange.However I consider this a plus, compared to something like the HRT Microstreamer which have a rather analytical sound with sharp treble and more precise instrument separation at the expense of less spacious presentation. I don't have an X3 or 5, but my X1 does sound closer to my V10 than to the Microstreamer. YMMV

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #986 of 1,179
I can't say for sure this is what's happening, as I haven't heard any of Fiio's offerings, but sometimes a brighter, more "analytical" sound signature can suggest more detail in the treble while not necessarily being any more technically accurate

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #987 of 1,179
I can't say for sure this is what's happening, as I haven't heard any of Fiio's offerings, but sometimes a brighter, more "analytical" sound signature can suggest more detail in the treble while not necessarily being any more technically accurate

Subjective terminologies may not suggest anything beyond the one's opinion who states it . I would agree though that none of this describe technical accuracy for sure or implies it. :cool:

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #988 of 1,179

The thing is that the fiio X3ii isn't bright at all, actually it is less bright than V10. It's just, I feel like it is more extended. I know that measured Data always says that everything has a perfect extension and a perfect frequency response but my ears don't feel the same. Even fiio's extension isn't perfect, For example when I connect Cayin C5 amp to X3ii (on V10 it has less effect since there is no line out) the extension gets even bigger and soundstage gets wider so the theory that every DAP extends more than my not-so-big hearing range seems suspicious for me.  Maybe my ears trick me and something different happens and makes me think that there are higher frequencies.  And I can say the opposite for bass extension. I think V10 can produce lower frequencies.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #989 of 1,179
are you getting ready for lg v20

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_confirms_v20_moniker_september_launch_for_v10_successor__-news-19711.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back