LG G3 as a portable source?
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #91 of 228
just got the G3 two days ago.  sounds great.  i am coming from galaxy s3.  the G3 seems to pump out a hair more juice.  i used to amp my UE6000 on my s3 but find no need to amp it on the G3. 

just added a qi charging coil for wireless charging.  works great on my TDK Q35 speaker/qi charger.  right now streaming google music all access to TDK via bluetooth while G3 is sitting on top of speaker charging.   amazing

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #92 of 228
I'm using mine with Tidal and I've been juggling between my etymotics and momentum on-ear's for the last month or so. So far, so good, I don't find myself wanting an external dac or amp with those cans at all.  Definitely an upgrade in dynamics and clarity over what I remembered getting on the G2.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #93 of 228
Do you guys who like the G3 use EQ?

Still don't get why my opinion differs so wildly...

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #96 of 228
Do you guys who like the G3 use EQ?

Still don't get why my opinion differs so wildly...

I prefer to have the capability even if not needed all the time! For files on my G3 I use Poweramp and almost always use the EQ - custom or stock settings. For the network, the only option that I have to play entire albums (as opposed to a single song at a time) is ES File Explorer. The ES built in player has no EQ :frowning2:

I tried Neutron. It plays music from SMB shares, but it insists on indexing the entire library! This is kind of infuriating because other than that it is a very nice player. Some say the best. And the EQ is very nice. But for my needs, totally useless. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #97 of 228
do u think guys the lg g2 can be better as a transport to a portable dac than an iPod 5 

i am planning to connect the g3 to an ifi idsd 

or is the iPod 5 better

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #98 of 228
I had both the G2 and the iPod 5.5 and felt that as far as sound quality goes, the iPod nudges out the G2 by a small amount. As for the G3, I definitely think the G3 is on-par with the iPod, if not better. They are both very good sources, but I feel that the iPod has a touch more romantic warmth/gooeyness whereas the G3 gets an edge in detail and dynamics.  That said, these are minute differences and using any of the 3 sources with easy-to-drive headphones like the NAD HP50 proves highly pleasureable

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #99 of 228
  I had both the G2 and the iPod 5.5 and felt that as far as sound quality goes, the iPod nudges out the G2 by a small amount. As for the G3, I definitely think the G3 is on-par with the iPod, if not better. They are both very good sources, but I feel that the iPod has a touch more romantic warmth/gooeyness whereas the G3 gets an edge in detail and dynamics.  That said, these are minute differences and using any of the 3 sources with easy-to-drive headphones like the NAD HP50 proves highly pleasureable

for me i was wondering about using either as source to a portable dac/amp more than being used as stand alone players

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #100 of 228
If just running stock hardware, I'd say a USB feed from the G2 with a fully-updated version of Android should be the better source, since it does feature a modern OS and fast flash based memory. The main issue I had found with using my iPod as a source was its difficulty in handling smooth playback of my flac files at resolutions greater than redbook audio, whereas the G2 handled all files without a hitch. With the G2, you get the added benefit of being able to stream lossless audio via Tidal. That said, I was running my iPod stock and had not done any of the sort of modifications you see floating around, so YMMV.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #101 of 228
i stream all of my music via google play all access at 320kbps.  google music has it's own 5 band EQ on the app, has presets and bass boost etc.  i was upset to find out that the EQ is not available on the LG G3.  in the options, it is gone.  i googled it and see other people posting the same complaint on reddit.   i have since downloaded an EQ app that does work for google music but it has limits unless i buy the full version.  it is an option, but seems absurd that the EQ would not be available to certain phone models.  i understand if it were not available to a new version of android or something, but limited on a device seems crazy. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #102 of 228
The G3 with Ksc 75 or B&W p7 frankly sounds incredible. I have an Essence HDACC and I cannot distinguish between these two in terms of clarity, dynamics and details. The output is crystal clean.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #103 of 228
Hi, i got an question. I buyed me an G3 2 weeks ago very cheap at Cyber Monday*. At 4.4.2 i hears a little noise, over my iems (CE4P) when
i touch the display or start an app. But with 5.0 Lolipop update, the noise extreme loud (+250%). Everytime when the cpu clocked up or down,
like starting an app, touching display noise (krzkrzkrz). Now i can hear it in quiet passages when i hear music, too.

Flashed back to 4.4.2, still there, but very quiet and not possible to hear when listen music.
Testet two lolipo Custom Roms, too. With one same problem, with other only one the lefte side. ARGHL

Same noise like old onbord soundchips from mainboards that are not well shielded.
In german forum have some other people the same problem, only with +300€ class IEMs. My Shure SE 215 makes no problem.

Is there a problem with ony one charge from G3s or gerenrell with with 5.0 an high end IEMs. I testet the G3 from my fiend (4.4.2 and he want update, because he need xposed framework) zero noise with my CE4P, Westone UM30 pro, and he says nothing with his brand new Rhine Custom Stage 5 (cant test i on my phone, he is now in holidays)

Ah, yes, when i plug in my Fiio E18, the noise is away.

PS: Sorry for bable fish translating^^

*New one is ony the way, but because chrismas, i get it with luck next year...

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #104 of 228
  Hi, i got an question. I buyed me an G3 2 weeks ago very cheap at Cyber Monday*. At 4.4.2 i hears a little noise, over my iems (CE4P) when
i touch the display or start an app. But with 5.0 Lolipop update, the noise extreme loud (+250%). Everytime when the cpu clocked up or down,
like starting an app, touching display noise (krzkrzkrz). Now i can hear it in quiet passages when i hear music, too.

Flashed back to 4.4.2, still there, but very quiet and not possible to hear when listen music.
Testet two lolipo Custom Roms, too. With one same problem, with other only one the lefte side. ARGHL

Same noise like old onbord soundchips from mainboards that are not well shielded.
In german forum have some other people the same problem, only with +300€ class IEMs. My Shure SE 215 makes no problem.

Is there a problem with ony one charge from G3s or gerenrell with with 5.0 an high end IEMs. I testet the G3 from my fiend (4.4.2 and he want update, because he need xposed framework) zero noise with my CE4P, Westone UM30 pro, and he says nothing with his brand new Rhine Custom Stage 5 (cant test i on my phone, he is now in holidays)

Ah, yes, when i plug in my Fiio E18, the noise is away.

PS: Sorry for bable fish translating^^

*New one is ony the way, but because chrismas, i get it with luck next year...

You may have a defective phone. There are issues with defective component isolation causing sound problems in earlier models.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #105 of 228
It looks like only the US/Canada versions is sounding good, European version has mediocre sound quality

Does anyone having European G3 (855) experienced good sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back