LF Comfortable Headphones under $200 for Classical Music
Jul 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dumberchild

New Head-Fier
As stated in title, I need help looking for Headphones around/under $200.
listening to mainly classical/opera, and also Chinese instrumental/Klezmer/medieval etc
not listening to pop/rock/metal
preferably closed

also need a comfortable one without much pressure,
noticed a white cool-looking one (dont remember name) here but heard its got too much pressure :frowning2:
Thanks 

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 8
You looking for something to analyse the music with, or just kick back and chill-out with?

You might find a used Denon-D2000 for that or less. Or try the D1001. You can score them at Amazon for around $150. I have not heard them, but have read that they are pretty good.

If deep resonant bass is not very important to you, but crisp clarity is... you can try the Beyer DT770/250 ohm.

shane

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks for the replies
"You looking for something to analyse the music with, or just kick back and chill-out with?"
What difference do they make when choosing headphones? Sorry Im very new to this.

Anyway, is there a significant difference in sound quality between InEar Headphones and full sized ones of the same price? Ive got a RE0 earlier this year and I dont really like it, although its better than the inears ive heard.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
thanks for the replies
"You looking for something to analyse the music with, or just kick back and chill-out with?"
What difference do they make when choosing headphones? Sorry Im very new to this.

Anyway, is there a significant difference in sound quality between InEar Headphones and full sized ones of the same price? Ive got a RE0 earlier this year and I dont really like it, although its better than the inears ive heard.

Well.. certain cans are better for analysing music. They are highly detailed (sometimes to a fault), usually bright, and often are described as 'thin'. (This is a gross generalization, but I'm making a point for illustration). They will reveal everything about the source... both for good and bad. Bad recordings, bad mixes, bad compression, bad DAC / Amp, etc. will all be revieled. But also good recordings, mixes, DAC / amps, etc. All come through with stark clarity.

Other cans will be smooth and mellow and some would say 'darker'. They usually have slightly (or greatly) rolled-off highs, perhaps a recess in the midrange and if you're lucky, some good extended bass. These cans will tend to mask or hide the imperfections of a recording, mix, DAC... etc. Some will actually sound lush and rich and 'warm', but not revealing. They are better (generally speaking) for just listening to the music and not getting caught-up in the details.

A lot depends on what you want them for, what kind of music you listen to, what your source(s) are. This whole thing is personal tastes and preferences not just in how you want the cans to sound, but in what your use is. (that and your hearing, pinna shape, bone mass, etc...)
wink_face.gif

shane

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 8
AKG K271 MkII is a good closed headphone for your taste in music, and you can get it for around $150

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions. 
I will most probably be getting AKG K271 MKII
Just need a few more doubts cleared
What should a classical music audio device be good at? (range etc)
Which sound range do most tenors fall in? I heard that K271 MKII makes female voices sound really good. How about male voices? 
Are closed headphones significantly inferior for classical music?
how badly does k271 mkii need an amp?

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. 
I will most probably be getting AKG K271 MKII
Just need a few more doubts cleared
What should a classical music audio device be good at? (range etc)
Which sound range do most tenors fall in? I heard that K271 MKII makes female voices sound really good. How about male voices? 
Are closed headphones significantly inferior for classical music?
how badly does k271 mkii need an amp?

Amp will improve the performance, as well DAC will help. If you're going for a good system, maybe you can try the K-701/2 you can get them use for around $180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back