LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,622 of 1,899
Not only do these dampers hide a bunch of small details and nuances, but they also choke the high frequencies.
Actually there is the problem - there is too much treble. They need an extra choke :p
Micropore mod is more simple and get rid of most of the extra treble.
Your solution will only bring more treble to something that it's already too much.

However, with some warm sources ( like Burson DAC's ) they are very good without any modding.

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,623 of 1,899
Personally, I am sorely lacking in the high frequencies in the LetShuoer S12 Pro compared to the Sennheiser IE 300. And I cannot say that removing these gags from the sound tubes of the S12s leads to a strong increase in high frequencies. In any case, these rags hide the details and nuances of the compositions, suppress the upper frequency range and make the low frequencies unnatural and bloated. The sound with these dampers turns out to be somewhat inexpressive and washed out, not at the audiophile level. It’s not for nothing that the original S12s didn’t have any dampers in the sound tubes. That is, the presence of these dampers in sound tubes is modding, only from the LetShuoer company :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #1,626 of 1,899
Hey everyone!
Got S12 pro yesterday to replace my Zetian Wu due to horrible Wu's comfort (vertically inverted shell shape) and short nozzle. S12 pro sits like a glove entirely in my ears, I think I can even sleep with those.

As with every other 2021-2022 planars treble is harsh and upper treble is a little weak. Wu has harsh upper mids on top of that, but I found S12 Pro's mids all around great.

I listen on very high volume all the time to get the most stage depth and immersion out of any iem, so I hate when some frequency range stick out on high gain.

Here's my fix for S12 Pro treble, slightly redistributing balance from lower to upper treble, fixing timbre and tonality, smoothing out 5-8k range forwardness that is pushing unnatural stage tallness. No detail loss that I can personally notice, now you can turn the gain higher on bright recordings to open up mids and bass which are otherwise very reserved in stock form.
I personally use system-wide EqulizerAPO on windows. I did EQ'ing entirely with my ears without looking on any graphs by running sine sweep from lows to highs and eliminating any peaks and dips along the way, I find planars to respond to EQ perfectly and you can squeeze out some amazing sound out of them because of incredible driver coherency, speed and technicalities. Get your amps ready, there is a -8 dB pre-amp :)

Preamp: -7.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 0.7 dB Q 0.6
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1400 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.6
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 3
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5800 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 4
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6900 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 7
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7400 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 4
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9400 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 6
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 5
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 17000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 5
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 19000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 5

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,628 of 1,899
@surfwaves

I am currently exploring some neutral-tuned sets to later buy a higher-end neutral iems to complement Legend.
Hexa is vocal centric with soft treble, laid back bass and upper treble, very safe tuning, I got it prior to Wu and S12.
Legend has a very heavy sub-bass, very musical mids, and laid back upper treble. Not a resolving set but the tonality is super enjoyable, drums and synthesized drums sound bombastic, treble is never aggressive, you can feel the impact of sub-woofers even on the most crowded tracks, mids are sweet and it just comes together as a whole in a very good way. Stage, despite heavy bass, is wider than Hexa, and the depth is huge due to high dynamics in the bass.
S12 pro is overall neutral-bright set to me, excellent extension on top, slightly U-shaped with my EQ, bass doesn't have that weight as dynamic driver on hip-hop and R&B, but has fast decay, good texture and very clean sound, has no distortion or resonances on solo piano, as Legend sometimes has on lower notes on high gain. Great resolving and detail-oriented set for any genre, a little too bright for bright recordings in stock form.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,630 of 1,899
On the s15? I haven't modified it.

For the S12, i'd get a pro and do just the foam and dont mess with the vents. 2x low OR medium density is really nice.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,633 of 1,899
There were good aspects of the S12 (detail, separation, staging, imaging, dynamics) but tone and frequency were drawbacks that I found unacceptable. I was eq’ing every single song to get a favourable signature and it became too annoying. Potential is definitely there but imo the tuning of this iem needs development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back