Lets Talk Metal
Jun 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #9,993 of 29,680
Has anyone heard of Coldworld?

I think they are pretty good.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #9,996 of 29,680
I'm surprised to see that so many of you guys like BDM. Sounds like typical core to me (maybe not quite as annoying).

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #9,999 of 29,680
Soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXq-rRGsrlg

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #10,000 of 29,680
Quote:
. Or, say Chris Cornell, who IMO opinion is one of the most gifted vocalists (or was back in the day)

Chris really isn't bad at all on King Animal. The CD is bleh, but the vinyl sounds pretty good. He sung in a weird way for Audioslave that made it seem like his voice was shot, but it isn't. Watch them play Black Rain on Conan.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #10,001 of 29,680
Quote:

I have all of In Flames' albums (on CD), and collectively they stand near the top production and SQ-wise.

Eh. Jester Race really isn't bad on CD, it's really not far off from the vinyl (picture disc) at all. After that they got progressively worse sounding. From Reroute on they are average at best, and the last few honestly sound pretty crap.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #10,002 of 29,680
Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. The original discussion was about the music getting uncomfortable to listen to, and I don't think DR compression will make music uncomfortable to listen to. It makes the music less accurate, less engaging and overall more dull and uninteresting, but as for uncomfortable I really don't know. Though you are the DR expert here, and I defer to you.

It depends just how bad the dynamic smashing is. Removing any variation in loudness generally makes music considerably more boring and lifeless as you've said, and that in itself can be tiring. What also often goes along with hyper compression is clipping and audible digital distortion, which can make things turn nasty real fast - see Death Magnetic. The more resolving the sound system, the more obvious these problems become, and anything with an inherent treble emphasis is likely to cause major listening fatigue.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #10,003 of 29,680
Quote:

I agree about the Soapf one, 4-5 DR sounds ****. But I have many DR 6 albums that sound good enough. Sure, it´s not as good as it would have been with 8-10 but it still nice to listen to and a good listening experience. This depends however on each album/ mastering.

When you listen to enough material that's DR6, it starts to condition you that it's "normal" and doesn't sound that bad. It's only when you hear the same material on vinyl at DR10-12 that you see just how much you're losing. Amon Amarth's With Oden is a prime example. That album was brilliantly recorded and mixed, and the CD at DR6 actually sounds pretty good. Then you hear it on vinyl and your jaw hits the floor. The difference is between that of a pistol and this guy.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #10,004 of 29,680
Well put, Dave.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #10,005 of 29,680
Quote:
Everyone, quick, what is funny about this link....

HINT: What is in common with all the items that are sold out? :)

Maybe the music world can take the hint
Quote:
Has anyone heard of Coldworld?

I think they are pretty good.

Coldworld is amazing
Quote:
PSB, ProAC, PMC, Daedalus, Clearwave, Fritz, Odyssey, Living Voice, Egglestonworks, Aerial, Merlin, Rockport, Estelon.

Gonna look them up but why do I have a feeling most of them are going to cost and unholy amount of money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back