Lets Talk Metal
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #9,961 of 29,700
Quote:
Great picks. yeah, Josh Homme is totally solid, vocally. I'll bet he was frustrated w/ Kyuss.

There are so few relevant, original heavy  bands with actual "clean singing " vocalists, I think you just named them all
smile.gif

And, on second spin....Like Clockwork is quite good.

If you like Josh Homme, you may like this song...

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #9,962 of 29,700
Quote:

If you like Josh Homme, you may like this song...

I liked Them Crooked Vultures for the most part....Interesting songs.....good stuff.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #9,963 of 29,700
I read somewhere that the new Deafheaven album (♥) has a similar vibe/atmosphere to it, like Arcade Fires The Suburbs.
And guess what, it's true IMO

I actually like that song. Rest of the album is a bit too boring for me.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9,965 of 29,700
Quote:
Guys the entire new The Black Dahlia Murder cd, Everblack, is streaming at www.metalblade.com/bdm till tomorrow at 9am, get on it

Amazing huh!

Best Ever!

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #9,967 of 29,700

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/War_Master/Pyramid_of_the_Necropolis/324983

Geten into this one!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #9,968 of 29,700
Quote:

If you find In Flames uncomfortable to listen to, I'd take a look at your listening equipment before EQ-ing it.
I personally love the In Flames sound, and find it to be some of the most comfortable metal I own.
Bear in mind that my listening rig is well on the warm side, with a WA6 tube amp and the Denon AH-D7000 which has got considerable bass and slightly rolled off treble.
If you have Grado headphones as your avatar suggests, they might just not be your cup of tea for metal listening.
I haven't got eny experience with Grado myself, but from what I gather they're generally more aggressive in the treble than most other headphones.

What In Flames albums are you refering to? 
Hmm ok, maybe have to check again if it really is as bad. The perception of how an album sounds always differs a bit for me day to day. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #9,969 of 29,700
Really really great atmospheric BM!
Worth a lot more than just 7€

http://arsaidh.bandcamp.com/album/roots

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #9,970 of 29,700
Quote:
Guys the entire new The Black Dahlia Murder cd, Everblack, is streaming at www.metalblade.com/bdm till tomorrow at 9am, get on it

Awesome !!

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #9,971 of 29,700
Quote:

What In Flames albums are you refering to? 
Hmm ok, maybe have to check again if it really is as bad. The perception of how an album sounds always differs a bit for me day to day. 

I have all of In Flames' albums (on CD), and collectively they stand near the top production and SQ-wise. Though music is a very subjective matter, so there might be elements in there I don't notice that are tiring to your ears.
But I will say this: I found Battlefield 3 to be tiring to my hearing (after around one hour of playing) when using my Denon AH-D7000, powered by my Cambridge DacMagic Plus. After I got my Woo Audio WA6 and just using the DacMagic as a DAC, Battlefield was no longer tiring. So there might be a mismatch somewhere in you chain causing In Flames to sound tiring. If you can EQ it without losing much sound quality that's obviously the most cost-effective solution, but you might also find that a less treble aggressive headphone or different amp or DAC will sound generally more pleasing to you. If you're able, I say try out some different equipment and see how that sounds.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #9,972 of 29,700
Quote:

I have all of In Flames' albums (on CD), and collectively they stand near the top production and SQ-wise. Though music is a very subjective matter, so there might be elements in there I don't notice that are tiring to your ears.
But I will say this: I found Battlefield 3 to be tiring to my hearing (after around one hour of playing) when using my Denon AH-D7000, powered by my Cambridge DacMagic Plus. After I got my Woo Audio WA6 and just using the DacMagic as a DAC, Battlefield was no longer tiring. So there might be a mismatch somewhere in you chain causing In Flames to sound tiring. If you can EQ it without losing much sound quality that's obviously the most cost-effective solution, but you might also find that a less treble aggressive headphone or different amp or DAC will sound generally more pleasing to you. If you're able, I say try out some different equipment and see how that sounds.

Thanks for the informative answer :) Just to clarify, I love the sound and music of pretty much all In Flames albums. I think it really has something to do with my system and will check for other systems to compare it to. 
Colony was the album I was wondering about the most. It has a nice sound, especially the drums. However, in songs like "Ordinary Story" the cymbals are pretty dominant in some parts (not necessarily in a bad way). This in combination with my system may be the reason I feel a little uncomfortable during these parts. Can I ask which version of Colony you have? The first US pressing on CD?

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #9,973 of 29,700
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #9,974 of 29,700
Btw, not a metal album, but even if you don't like the new Daft Punk it sure sounds sweet.

I mentioned this to DaveBSC a few times. Even at only DR8, it sounds gorgeous. The article I linked above is very pedagogical on why an album even at DR8 can sound great and why if it was DR6 (like a lot of In Flames), doesn't.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9,975 of 29,700

Soup's I gave this a once through. I think I like it better than Ritual (not 100% sure).

However, I noticed something with BDM: A lot of tracks tend to bleed together. I feel they are a one trick pony (a very very good trick) but I can't really say the music has a lot of variety. Perhaps that isn't fair but its how I feel listening to it and then going back to playing a few Ritual tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back