Lets Talk Metal
Jun 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #9,946 of 29,676
Quote:
I totally get it and yes I love Kyuss but somehow I rate Josh Homme very highly as a vocalist..

Layne Stanley, Moreno, Ed Vedder, Maynard Keenan all do the same thing for me.

i agree with that (and add Mike Patton), it's not necessarily about their "vocal skill" but there's something about their singing that gets me.  i find that my favorite QOTSA songs are those that have the "guitar sound" that more closely resemble kyuss...FWIW i love the new record, ya it's more straight up rawk but it's done really well and feels way more personal than any of their other output

semi related...but many years ago before QOTSA had released their first album, they stopped through town opening for another band (six finger satellite) in a tiny local club, there was maybe 50 people there.  i went to the show because i loved kyuss a lot and therefore knew who Josh was...ended up partying pretty hard with Homme and the boys after the show and got a demo copy of the CD long before it was released.  my little pathetic albeit entertaining brush with fame LOL...they were really cool to hang out with and Josh is really tall ha ha

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #9,947 of 29,676

I believe I saw a post couple of days ago about the new QOTSA. I decided to listen to their album on Rhapsody last night. I've just invested in Sonos, so I can stream through my speaker system and/or stream in different rooms in the house on their speakers, play playlists, digital music on my netework, etc. It's pretty cool actually. Not audophile quality. But uber convenient and access to tons of music. Boom, I want to hear X-Y-Z album in the kitchen, in the computer room. Take out my cell phone push a button and I'm listeting to whatever I want....just not audiophile quality.They have a sound bar and sub woofer that substantially enhances the SQ.

So, I'm giving this a slightly luke warm thumbs up after 1x listening. I really like Doom and some stoner. Luv Kyuss.

Edit: I've always been a little disappointed with QUOTSA. I find them a little annoying in an alternative rock, quirky....aren't we clever kind of way. That said, I have a number of their releases and given the state of commercial rock music (having grown up w/ bands that I actually think were pretty good-U2, early Van Halen/Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Rush, the Stones,  Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc.), I guess I give it up to  QUOTSA as a legitimately decent commercially viable contemporary rock band in a youth culture that seems uninterested in rock music in lieu of hip hop and pop.

Songs for the Deaf is my favorite. I think this one is a solid B+, maybe A-.

I just wish Homme would back the goodness of what I loved about Kyuss or have more heft like HOF,

w/ QOTSA, I've always felt Homme wanted to bend over backwards and not be associated with "metal" after Kyuss....and make "smart music"....in his mind at least.

Smart? Annoying?  I think it's a bit of both. Pretty good?  Yeah, but just not quite satifying, like having a little bit of sushi and still being hungry.

but they are what they are..........and, I will always have a passing interest in straight up well done rock.

I know this is a little off metal topic, but that's my take!

I was reading about the SeaGate Go-flex drives today. They have 4 TB that you can attach to your router at home for streaming and a really cool 1TB drive that you can take anywhere. If you are in a public Wi-FI zone you can steam 1 TB of music in any format and movies to an Android phone or IPad or IPod. It just sits put away in a backpack and streams through to your device up to 20 feet. Seems cool to be able to walk around your house and have 4TB of media on hand. They start at about $120.00 for the mobile 1TB drive.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #9,948 of 29,676
Quote:
I was reading about the SeaGate Go-flex drives today. They have 4 TB that you can attach to your router at home for streaming and a really cool 1TB drive that you can take anywhere. If you are in a public Wi-FI zone you can steam 1 TB of music in any format and movies to an Android phone or IPad or IPod. It just sits put away in a backpack and streams through to your device up to 20 feet. Seems cool to be able to walk around your house and have 4TB of media on hand. They start at about $120.00 for the mobile 1TB drive.

friendly warning issued:  i've had 2 GoFlex drives, the first one stopped working, then the warranty drive stopped working...and when they were working it was hardly smooth going...extremely buggy and on/off working behaviour.  Seagate denied my second warranty claim and now they are taken apart and scavenged for parts.  My friend has had better luck with his, although it's still very buggy and occasionally stops working altogether, for the most part it does what advertised.  don't expect trouble free miracle stuff is all i'm saying

i run a server in my house and a wireless streamer on the ipad, it's nice having access to all my music in all over the house :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #9,949 of 29,676
Quote:
So I started to EQ some In Flames songs to make them more comfortable to hear. Can you guys give me any advice how to do this in a good way? How do I use the Low Pass Filter (which frequencies should be roughly cut off, etc.) and what other tools can I use to make the sound more smooth?

The songs I´m currently experiementing with are Ordinary Story and Zombie Inc (from the album Colony).

If you find In Flames uncomfortable to listen to, I'd take a look at your listening equipment before EQ-ing it.
I personally love the In Flames sound, and find it to be some of the most comfortable metal I own.
Bear in mind that my listening rig is well on the warm side, with a WA6 tube amp and the Denon AH-D7000 which has got considerable bass and slightly rolled off treble.
If you have Grado headphones as your avatar suggests, they might just not be your cup of tea for metal listening.
I haven't got eny experience with Grado myself, but from what I gather they're generally more aggressive in the treble than most other headphones.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #9,950 of 29,676
Quote:
i agree with that (and add Mike Patton), it's not necessarily about their "vocal skill" but there's something about their singing that gets me.  i find that my favorite QOTSA songs are those that have the "guitar sound" that more closely resemble kyuss...FWIW i love the new record, ya it's more straight up rawk but it's done really well and feels way more personal than any of their other output

semi related...but many years ago before QOTSA had released their first album, they stopped through town opening for another band (six finger satellite) in a tiny local club, there was maybe 50 people there.  i went to the show because i loved kyuss a lot and therefore knew who Josh was...ended up partying pretty hard with Homme and the boys after the show and got a demo copy of the CD long before it was released.  my little pathetic albeit entertaining brush with fame LOL...they were really cool to hang out with and Josh is really tall ha ha

All talk about QOTSA.. These are my favorite tracks and I feel vocals are the dominant force here.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #9,951 of 29,676
Only complaint is that it's too damn short. This is my favorite QOTSA song. Love the vocals...love love love it. The guitar riff and sound get me every time.

This is one of the hypest songs out there I think. I could play this on repeat all day and not get tired of it.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #9,952 of 29,676
Quote:

friendly warning issued:  i've had 2 GoFlex drives, the first one stopped working, then the warranty drive stopped working...and when they were working it was hardly smooth going...extremely buggy and on/off working behaviour.  Seagate denied my second warranty claim and now they are taken apart and scavenged for parts.  My friend has had better luck with his, although it's still very buggy and occasionally stops working altogether, for the most part it does what advertised.  don't expect trouble free miracle stuff is all i'm saying

i run a server in my house and a wireless streamer on the ipad, it's nice having access to all my music in all over the house :)

That's too bad, I've been using nothing but Seagates (non-portable) for years and they haven't let me down yet. Western Digitals, on the other hand, were trouble from the start... But now that I think about it, I've heard at least one horror story for every external drive brand out there.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #9,953 of 29,676
Quote:

Noted!

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #9,954 of 29,676
61Cl%2BHQEO1L._SY300_.jpg

Any of you familiar w/ Caina---one man multi instrumentalist Curtis Brignell. Temporary Antennae is from 2008. Kind of post rock/experimental with BM overtones.....I think it's a beautiful record. Just curious if anyone is familiar w/ their 2011 release-Hands That Pluck?

I played this in my van today...hadn't heard it in a while....really enjoyed it....

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #9,955 of 29,676
Quote:
I totally get it and yes I love Kyuss but somehow I rate Josh Homme very highly as a vocalist..

Layne Stanley, Moreno, Ed Vedder, Maynard Keenan all do the same thing for me.

Great picks. yeah, Josh Homme is totally solid, vocally. I'll bet he was frustrated w/ Kyuss.

There are so few relevant, original heavy  bands with actual "clean singing " vocalists, I think you just named them all
smile.gif

And, on second spin....Like Clockwork is quite good.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #9,957 of 29,676
Re portable hard drives.I have a seagate 250gb and its cool.Ive heard so many bad reports  of them crashing that i also back up my music onto dvd disks. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #9,959 of 29,676
Just FYI, this album is really great. For some reason "The Pecan Tree" wasn't available for streaming on Spotify initially but I heard it for the first time today and it's awesome. Spotify link: Deafheaven – Sunbather
Quote:

I haven't listened to much metal in my life, but in the past few months these are the two albums that have stood out to me:

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane --- This just sounds cold, dark, wintery, and awesome.
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit --- I really really liked this for the first week or so but the last few times I've tried listening, the slow parts sort of bored me. I also get bothered by their rather generous use of acoustic guitar which just sounds a little corny/out of place to me. "Into the Painted Grey" is still really great though.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #9,960 of 29,676
Quote:
The girl or the music?

heh i wish i could say this was the case

Quote:
I still haven't sat down with Coal yet.

What's wrong with you?...ive now decided that it is better than Bilateral was...much more consistent as well.

Quote:
I will say this, you did cite probably the least DEP song I've ever heard thus far (its a great song, but I wouldn't call it mathcore).

Thats fair, i enjoy the rest of the cd as well, thats just my favorite song on it...it just happens to be the least mathcore

Ive also been listening to my Dead End Kings vinyl quite a bit since you guys wrote that article on it, it sounds stellar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back