Lets Talk Metal
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #9,976 of 29,693
Soup's I gave this a once through. I think I like it better than Ritual (not 100% sure).

However, I noticed something with BDM: A lot of tracks tend to bleed together. I feel they are a one trick pony (a very very good trick) but I can't really say the music has a lot of variety. Perhaps that isn't fair but its how I feel listening to it and then going back to playing a few Ritual tracks.

Now that ive listened to it a few more times, i think that its got quite a few really good songs, but im not sure that its as consistently awesome as Ritual was, i think that will be their crowning achievement EDIT: ITS THE PAGE OF THE BEAST!!!!!

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #9,977 of 29,693
Quote:

Thanks for the informative answer :) Just to clarify, I love the sound and music of pretty much all In Flames albums. I think it really has something to do with my system and will check for other systems to compare it to. 
Colony was the album I was wondering about the most. It has a nice sound, especially the drums. However, in songs like "Ordinary Story" the cymbals are pretty dominant in some parts (not necessarily in a bad way). This in combination with my system may be the reason I feel a little uncomfortable during these parts. Can I ask which version of Colony you have? The first US pressing on CD?

I have no idea what version it is, unfortunately. But I seriously doubt it's a US first pressing, as it was bought in Norway less than ten years ago.
Let's see what it says on the back:
1999 Nuclear Blast GmbH - Manufactured in Germany - NB 399-2  LC 07027
The side says Nuclear Blast 27361 63992 should anyone know what that means...

Quote:
I don't know how you can say that. In Flames production wise is mediocre at best.

Those numbers don't lie. I realize dynamic range isn't everything, but when you release DR4 or DR5, its not going to sound good no matter what you do.

Here is more about this topic.

To clarify; when I said they stand near the top I meant the top in my collection, which is almost exclusively metal. And for metal a DR of 7-10 isn't that bad (as in not that far away from the average. I'd love to see the average brought up to DR 12).
As such, I don't really take DR into consideration when I rate the SQ of my albums.
Metallica's Black Album for instance has a DR around 11 (depending on what pressing you have), but still doesn't sound very good. Any sub bass is gone, the drums have no physical feel, the bass guitar is near inaudible and the sound stage is very narrow.
I'd take any In Flames CD over any Metallica CD any day, when we're talking production and SQ. Though I have to admit that while I really don't like the CD master, the Black Album is one of the best metal albums there is. Especially on an inexpensive rig
tongue.gif

I might be biast towards In Flames as well, as they were one of the very first metal bands I started listening to. I got into them when I was around fourteen, and they rival Slipknot (the first metal band I loved, and the band that got me into metal) as the band I've listened to the most - of all time. I can talk about In Flames for ages, and for me their old sound is the right sound. But that is another discussion
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. The original discussion was about the music getting uncomfortable to listen to, and I don't think DR compression will make music uncomfortable to listen to. It makes the music less accurate, less engaging and overall more dull and uninteresting, but as for uncomfortable I really don't know. Though you are the DR expert here, and I defer to you.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #9,978 of 29,693
I just had to have a post on this page, nothing special

Listened to coal, I've never heard of leprous before this thread....it's ok, lots of great points just not my favorite thing, but some great riffs

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #9,979 of 29,693
Does Deep Purple "Machine Head" qualify as metal with ya'll? Or is it just classic rock? I guess it's probably just classic rock.

Anyway, I just picked up an 88.2-24 FLAC rip of the Japanese SHM-SACD of "Machine Head."

"Smoke On The Water" is one of the most over-played tracks of all time. In fact, I saw a hilarious sign at Guitar Center one time. It said something like, "Please try any of our instruments. Feel free to play anything you want, as long as it isn't "Smoke On The Water." 
smile.gif

For those who don't believe in remasters or SACDs, this version of "Smoke On The Water" sounds instantly better to me than I've heard, and I've heard the track a million times.

I can indeed hear deeper into the track and it sounds clearer and more "full-bodied" than I've ever heard it in the past.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #9,980 of 29,693
Quote:
I don't know how you can say that. In Flames production wise is mediocre at best.

Those numbers don't lie. I realize dynamic range isn't everything, but when you release DR4 or DR5, its not going to sound good no matter what you do.

Here is more about this topic.

I agree about the Soapf one, 4-5 DR sounds ****. But I have many DR 6 albums that sound good enough. Sure, it´s not as good as it would have been with 8-10 but it still nice to listen to and a good listening experience. This depends however on each album/ mastering.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #9,981 of 29,693
Quote:

I have no idea what version it is, unfortunately. But I seriously doubt it's a US first pressing, as it was bought in Norway less than ten years ago.
Let's see what it says on the back:
1999 Nuclear Blast GmbH - Manufactured in Germany - NB 399-2  LC 07027
The side says Nuclear Blast 27361 63992 should anyone know what that means...

To clarify; when I said they stand near the top I meant the top in my collection, which is almost exclusively metal. And for metal a DR of 7-10 isn't that bad (as in not that far away from the average. I'd love to see the average brought up to DR 12).
As such, I don't really take DR into consideration when I rate the SQ of my albums.
Metallica's Black Album for instance has a DR around 11 (depending on what pressing you have), but still doesn't sound very good. Any sub bass is gone, the drums have no physical feel, the bass guitar is near inaudible and the sound stage is very narrow.
I'd take any In Flames CD over any Metallica CD any day, when we're talking production and SQ. Though I have to admit that while I really don't like the CD master, the Black Album is one of the best metal albums there is. Especially on an inexpensive rig
tongue.gif

I might be biast towards In Flames as well, as they were one of the very first metal bands I started listening to. I got into them when I was around fourteen, and they rival Slipknot (the first metal band I loved, and the band that got me into metal) as the band I've listened to the most - of all time. I can talk about In Flames for ages, and for me their old sound is the right sound. But that is another discussion
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. The original discussion was about the music getting uncomfortable to listen to, and I don't think DR compression will make music uncomfortable to listen to. It makes the music less accurate, less engaging and overall more dull and uninteresting, but as for uncomfortable I really don't know. Though you are the DR expert here, and I defer to you.

That´s what I was saying aswell. I don´t think DR has much to do with an uncomfortable listening experience. It definately a factor when talking about "good" sound but I don´t think it has much to do with causing pain in the ears (at an reasonable volume of course). Hypercompression like DR 3 or 4 may be an exception though as the distortion and clipping that comes with it can indeed feel uncomfortable to your ears. 

Edit: A very good example would also be Hypocrisy. I can´t listen to them for more than 5 songs at mid- high volume. I don´t know what it is but it is really unpleasant and makes the music suffer from it.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #9,982 of 29,693
That´s what I was saying aswell. I don´t think DR has much to do with an uncomfortable listening experience. It definately a factor when talking about "good" sound but I don´t think it has much to do with causing pain in the ears (at an reasonable volume of course). Hypercompression like DR 3 or 4 may be an exception though as the distortion and clipping that comes with it can indeed feel uncomfortable to your ears. 

Edit: A very good example would also be Hypocrisy. I can´t listen to them for more than 5 songs at mid- high volume. I don´t know what it is but it is really unpleasant and makes the music suffer from it.

Sometimes tube equipment can warm up those clinical In Flames or Hypocrisy 16 bit 44.1 copies if your not playing the original old records. Imo

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #9,983 of 29,693
Quote:
Sometimes tube equipment can warm up those clinical In Flames or Hypocrisy 16 bit 44.1 copies if your not playing the original old records. Imo

This could be why Battlefield isn't uncomfortable with the WA6.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #9,985 of 29,693
ok, I didn´t understand anything in the last 2 posts :D sry sometimes my lack of english skill shows :) whats tube equiment and how does it "warm up" a recording?

Has some harmonic distortion that seems to soften the digital edge and brightness at times. Just something to try. All this talk of DR.........DR comes mostly from the headphone system not the software. Imo

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #9,986 of 29,693
Quote:
ok, I didn´t understand anything in the last 2 posts :D sry sometimes my lack of english skill shows :) whats tube equiment and how does it "warm up" a recording?

Well,you are in the right place to learn something.

666 haha...

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #9,987 of 29,693

Photo looks a bit odd since I'm not standing here, but it looks pretty damn good overall. Thinking about dedication this whole leg to music (mostly Metal).

But there you have it. The artist was a great dude. We basically talked about Eno the whole time. Does that make it less Metal? :D

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #9,989 of 29,693
Has some harmonic distortion that seems to soften the digital edge and brightness at times. Just something to try. All this talk of DR.........DR comes mostly from the headphone system not the software. Imo

Neither.

DR is a simply a product of mastering. That's the problem. No matter how much money you spend on gear, you can't escape bad mastering.

The comments about DR6 sounding good. I need to get you guys to listen to what high dynamics sounds like. Once you hear that, you will never be the same.

Instead of DaveBSC telling you....

Soup's? Can I get some assistance? You know what I'm talking about! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back