Lets Talk Metal
Jun 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #10,021 of 29,701
Quote:

Some do. There is no affordable Rockport or Estelon. PSB speakers though are quite reasonably priced and excellent for a large, mainstream speaker co. Some of the PMC, and ProAC models aren't too expensive. Fritz and Odyssey both sell direct and both have very affordable options.

I don't know how end you are thinking, but you may want to check out Monitor Audio Speakers....British company. I did some research and, after a lot of time spent at a couple of  audio/home theater stores locally whose opinions I trust, I  picked up the Monitor RX-1. I've been assembling a speaker and headphone rig at the same time and have definitely had to budget one component at a time.

The Monitor RX-1s are shelf speakers that I'm using in a computer/office/spare bedroom. I'm quite happy with them. If I could have afforded more, sure I would have gone for it. But, new within the $500-1K range, I think they're quite good. If I wanted to spring $1100-1400 ( I don't remember exactly) I could have gone with full standing speakers. But, I don't really need them for my needs-small space. Dropping over 1K would have been a fight w/ my better half, so I cut my losses. I know some of you probably spend several K on speakers, but that's just not in the cards for me.

Plus, I want to upgrade my receiver to an integrated amp, get a nice DAC and think about a higher end CDP.....competing interests.....Rome wasn't built in a day, and I'm not going to drop multiple K's for speakers right now.

Anyhoo, I ended up dropping $700  and I'm happy with solid medium fi. If I were to do it again, I might look at the RX-2 for a slightly larger shelf speaker w/ a bit more bass....another $100-but I'm good with what I've got.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #10,022 of 29,701
I might just forget speakers entirely and go endgame headphones

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #10,023 of 29,701
IMO-you can get solid-maybe not "hi-fi", but entry level seriously good shelf speakers around $500 new-some little B & W's or Monitor, etc. Of course, at this price point, nothing's going to sound like a 10K system! I'm going for solid medium fi that sounds good to me at  a reasonable price. You can easily put together a decent budget speaker system just over 1k.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #10,024 of 29,701
An old classic

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #10,026 of 29,701
I love this guy.

http://www.metalinjection.net/around-the-interwebs/these-photos-of-devin-townsend-fredrick-from-meshuggah-and-morgan-agren-absolutely-made-my-day

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #10,027 of 29,701
Quote:
I love this guy.

http://www.metalinjection.net/around-the-interwebs/these-photos-of-devin-townsend-fredrick-from-meshuggah-and-morgan-agren-absolutely-made-my-day

Honestly, Devin is the perfect human being.
I love everything he comes up with.

I wish I would know what IEMs he is using there.
The bass person from Ne Obliviscaris told me he is using JH13 on stage :3

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #10,028 of 29,701
Quote:
IMO-you can get solid-maybe not "hi-fi", but entry level seriously good shelf speakers around $500 new-some little B & W's or Monitor, etc. Of course, at this price point, nothing's going to sound like a 10K system! I'm going for solid medium fi that sounds good to me at  a reasonable price. You can easily put together a decent budget speaker system just over 1k.

I can't say I'm much of a B&W fan, but yeah there are several decent choices in the sub $1000/pr range like the LSA .5 or the baby Silverline, and for the price of an HD800 you can get some great speakers. Combine them with a good used integrated amp and you're most of the way there.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #10,029 of 29,701
Quote:
That is originally some old wood cut or engraving from maybe the 17th century. You could get a better version by trying to find the original. The one almost looks like a negative too. You could go threw some band groupe pages and find the name of the original.

Hey man, I just want to give you props. Some time back you were heralding the new Sabbath record. I kind of wrote it off as sentimentality which I would totally understand as we both grew up on Sabbath, Zep, etc. I figured, given the pretty awful impression of Ozzy from media exposure, he would be barely capable or coherent to lay down some good vocals.

I'm streaming the album now-Dude, I was totally wrong. It is seriously good! It's a pretty freaking good release. Who would have figured??? So my question (rhetorical....) is the Ozzy persona just an act...or did they find some youth serum?

After decades of mediocrity, this bad boy's a keeper. Sounds like a pretty good old school doom record...oh, yeah, they invented that style in the 1970's!

I haven't followed Sabbath that closely since the 80's, but I'd say this is the best thing since Heaven and Hell.

Totally different style-the new Deafheaven sounds pretty cool to me.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #10,030 of 29,701
Hey man, I just want to give you props. Some time back you were heralding the new Sabbath record. I kind of wrote it off as sentimentality which I would totally understand as we both grew up on Sabbath, Zep, etc. I figured, given the pretty awful impression of Ozzy from media exposure, he would be barely capable or coherent to lay down some good vocals.

Probably the worst or at least one of the worst sounding record this year is the new Black Sabbath record. Rick Rubin at his finest. Shame.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #10,031 of 29,701
Quote:

I'm streaming the album now-Dude, I was totally wrong. It is seriously good! It's a pretty freaking good release. Who would have figured??? So my question (rhetorical....) is the Ozzy persona just an act...or did they find some youth serum?

After decades of mediocrity, this bad boy's a keeper. Sounds like a pretty good old school doom record...oh, yeah, they invented that style in the 1970's!

I haven't followed Sabbath that closely since the 80's, but I'd say this is the best thing since Heaven and Hell.

I don't think its Ozzy singing. He is too old to sing like that... 

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #10,033 of 29,701
Quote:
Trogdor said:
Probably the worst or at least one of the worst sounding record this year is the new Black Sabbath record. Rick Rubin at his finest. Shame.

Maybe so, but it's still nice to hear the "fathers of metal" make music that has echoes of their original sound....if not SQ

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #10,034 of 29,701

Yes, I like it maybe for just because it reminds me of another era. Still though I have been playing the new Black Dahlia Murder and new Children of Bodom much more, actually non-stop.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #10,035 of 29,701
Yes, I like it maybe for just because it reminds me of another era. Still though I have been playing the new Black Dahlia Murder and new Children of Bodom much more, actually non-stop.

That's because the new black dahlia murder is amazing ...not as good as ritual but extremely good nonetheless. My copy of the cd and Lp should be here today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back