Lets Talk Metal
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9,226 of 29,653
Quote:

Give Silverthorn (Kamelot) a shot. It's their latest and I really enjoyed it. Another band that's switched members a lot, unfortunately. Ghost Opera and Black Halo are probably my favorites of their though.

Khan's voice was getting increasingly worse. He couldn't hit the higher notes from early records and while I'd never seen a bad show, there were plenty of comments about bad performances from Khan. It almost sounded like he was constantly sick. Which if he was seriously hopping on a plane during off days of the tour to fly home, wouldn't be surprising. Northeast is luckily usually one of the early stops on a tour.
Tommy is one of my favorite vocalists of recent years. If Seventh Wonder was an actual regularly touring band, I would have been pissed with the announcement but now I can still get Seventh Wonder albums and see Tommy perform with Kamelot. And for me, Epica and Black Halo are by far the best. Ghost Opera had some good stuff but overall was kind of forgettable. Barely listened to the one after that (can't even think of the name).
Khan wasn't the original singer of Kamelot, either. But the first two albums aren't very good and the singing wasn't anything that stood out like when Khan joined. Plus it really seemed like he added a bit of prog that wasn't in the early sound.

And on the same note, I was really against Floor being the new vocalist for Nightwish back when Tarja originally left because it would mean the end of After Forever. However, AF is no more, so I can't think of a better singer to go with. Not a big fan of Floor's latest band to be sad if its not very active.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #9,227 of 29,653
Some Finnish metal.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #9,228 of 29,653

and wait.....................there's more........................

....... all 12 albums with new artwork, 12×12 prints of all the original album covers, a 2013 Cannibal Corpse calendar, and a live concert CD and picture disc LP.

CC really out-did themselves here. With the last box set, 15 Year Killing Spree, you only got a guitar pick and poster.lol Their songs were just put together. This set is cool as all the albums remain the same and are minus any remaster type bonus songs, the way they should be, to not mess with the original feel of the album.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #9,229 of 29,653
Quote:
Those SYL vinyl issues reminded me of Devin's other LPs. I have Ki and as a pressing I think it's wonderful. People often talk down on Back in Black but I have a couple of their records (Ki, Traced in Air by Cynic and the recent Cult of Luna) and I think they are the ones with the lowest surface noise in my collection, apart from Massive Attack's Heligoland which flows like liquid. Vertikal has some but Ki and Traced in Air are completely quiet.

Are the other recent Devin records the same (TERRIA); each side blends into the next? I mean, can you hear the start of the next song in the end of the previous side?

So wait, are you saying Terria sucks on vinyl? That would be really disappointing, I was hoping to pick that up.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #9,230 of 29,653
Quote:
I understand. It's good to have the option for vinyl though. You can't have everything 
tongue.gif

Maybe they would print the alternative master if they had access to one but I don't know if that's their job. Maybe their business plan is to just give the vinyl option. My 2c's.

IMO, that's a complete waste of my time and money. I don't like paying for fancy double LPs only to find that they were cut from the CD master and sound like crap. Assuming the master is the same, vinyl can only sound worse than the CD. Sourcing a good master SHOULD BE their job. If they can't get it, then don't do the vinyl press.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #9,231 of 29,653

Amazingly I just found both albums on You Tube of my favorite French Death metal band Yyrkoon.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #9,232 of 29,653
Quote:
Interested to hear the recommendations as I like all of those bands as well. Also, I know we all love Tarja, but have you heard Dark Passion Play? She's no Tarja, but the guys in the band really do some things right in a few of the songs that give them an extremely epic Folk edge.

DPP was my first Nightwish album, and the only other album I have is Imaginaerium. I loved DPP, and in many ways I like Imaginaerium better. I loved the incorporation of classical instruments in Dark Passion Play, but I felt they took it a step further with Imaginaerium.
There's usually orchestra backing throughout the songs, and no more of the synth-imitation orchestra instruments. I really loved Scaretale and especially Arabesque (which is a bit funny, as it's an all orchestra, all instrumental track).
None of their older stuff has really moved me, though I haven't listened to too much of it. Their "Over the hills and far away"-cover I think is terrible.

Edit: grammar fix.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #9,233 of 29,653
You should really listen to Once...Or Wishmaster...

The band was easily better in the Tarja era, IMO. I thought DPP was pretty much better than Imaginarium in every way. More epic scale, better composition, all of it. I kind of wish the dudes would just break away from the Nightwish name and make an entire album in the theme of The Islander, and 7 Days to the Wolves.

Tarja era had a lot more epic feel due to more use of strings and orchestral work. Not to mention the fact that Opera lends itself very well to creating that epic feel. Songs like Dark Chest of Wonders, Ghost Love Score, and The Siren are magic.

Quote:

DPP was my first Nightwish album, and the only other album I have is Imaginaerium. I loved DPP, and in many ways I like Imaginaerium better. I loved the incorporation of classical instruments in Dark Passion Play, but I felt they took it a step further with Imaginaerium.
There's usually orchestra backing throughout the songs, and no more of the synth-imitation orchestra instruments. I really loved Scaretale and especially Arabesque (which is a bit funny, as it's an all orchestra, all instrumental track).
None of their older stuff has really moved me, though I haven't listened to too much of it. Their "Over the hills and far away"-cover I think is terrible.

Edit: grammar fix.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #9,234 of 29,653
So wait, are you saying Terria sucks on vinyl? That would be really disappointing, I was hoping to pick that up.

No I was asking if Terria in particular was done using the same method with different sides blending into each other.

IMO, that's a complete waste of my time and money. I don't like paying for fancy double LPs only to find that they were cut from the CD master and sound like crap. Assuming the master is the same, vinyl can only sound worse than the CD. Sourcing a good master SHOULD BE their job. If they can't get it, then don't do the vinyl press.

That is the purist in you:wink: Tough I understand your point. It's fair.
I like to think of it as an option when a new album releases; there's both readily available in the stand right next to each other, just different format with ~same sound. I don't think anyone loses, there's a choice.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #9,235 of 29,653
Songs like Dark Chest of Wonders, Ghost Love Score, and The Siren are magic.

The final high notes of the violin solo in the Siren, absolute bliss.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #9,236 of 29,653
Hello Guys just wanna share some music I like.
Behold the many faces of In The Woods. 
smile.gif

Such a tragedy for the PinkFloyd of metal to wrap it up only after three albums. 
frown.gif

Oh wait, they also do female vocals: 
smile.gif

Very much like "The great gig in the sky" hehehe

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #9,237 of 29,653

This. I feel they are cashing in on folks love affair with wax instead of actually trying to source masters.

I also understand that some folks want the vinyl as a collectible item - its one of the reasons why I wanted to buy Vertikal but I have a hard time justifying it from a sound stand point.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9,238 of 29,653
Quote:
You should really listen to Once...Or Wishmaster...

The band was easily better in the Tarja era, IMO. I thought DPP was pretty much better than Imaginarium in every way. More epic scale, better composition, all of it. I kind of wish the dudes would just break away from the Nightwish name and make an entire album in the theme of The Islander, and 7 Days to the Wolves.

Tarja era had a lot more epic feel due to more use of strings and orchestral work. Not to mention the fact that Opera lends itself very well to creating that epic feel. Songs like Dark Chest of Wonders, Ghost Love Score, and The Siren are magic.

Not my favourites from that album. I know many really enjoy The Islander, but I just find it boring.
My favourites are Last of the Wilds (I know, another instrumental), Amaranth and The Poet and the Pendulum (apart from the very last bit).
To me The Poet and the Pendulum is one of the strongest songs in this genre, though I think it should end at the ten minute mark.
Though I must admit I don't have that much experience with this kind of music, as I listen more to melodic metal and american stuff like Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch Engage.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9,239 of 29,653
As for Nightwish my favorite album of them would be "Oceanborn". It's perfect during evenings where I just settle down among the grass and gaze at the stars in the clear night sky searching for enchanted vistas that evade human eyes. When the drums kick in on the first few seconds of stargazers, I just surrender my mind to the night and prepare for a celestial journey. As for particular tracks the most common standouts are: Stargazers, Gethsemane, Sacrament of the Wilderness and passion and the opera but I, in time, have finally come to appreciate the more subtle theatrical songs like "Devil and the deep dark ocean" and "The Pharaoh Sails to Orion".
Of course I love different tracks from different albums like She is my sin, Ever dream, I wish I had an angel, nemo.

Wow just listened to one song from their first album (Angels fall first) and It's very interesting. Lots of folk elements, I'm gonna listen a bit more. Man, Tarja had such a magical and phantasm inducing voice, the new singer offers nothing for me.

Therion is also another alternative ( though I've never heard much and not looking forward to their new material.)

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #9,240 of 29,653
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/04/08/exclusive-track-premiere-immolations-indoctrinate/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back