Lets Talk Metal
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #9,211 of 29,678
Quote:
For fans of bestial black metal, I HIGHLY urge you to get this record. It has an amazing sound and is incredibly well mastered. According to one of the band members though the cd version sucks, and it does. The vinyl version has 100% more punch and depth

that was really brutal, thanks for posting.  will be picking that one up!

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #9,212 of 29,678
And, I was just giving props to all the Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, etc. songwriters who are able to write-often very articulate, sometimes poetic, and often thought provoking lyrics. It's probably just because I started listening to the big names at first, but I always thought Immortal and Emperor did a great job creating a mystique around their lyrics. Certainly some of the Swedish Gothenberg lyrics are pretty well thought out-sometimes with quotes from existential philosophers and such. And, CERTAINLY-moving to France-there is someone-some twisted wizard of Oz or something working with the concepts behind Deathsepll Omega. Good Gods! The thought that has gone into their thematic and lyrical concepts is pretty impressive to me from people who are using  "English as a second language".

I wish I had a clue what he's singing about. All the other stuff usually grabs my attention and the singer is just another instrument among others, with all music. Usually I have no clue whatsoever, even the song titles are a mystery.

The singer in DSO is also finnish btw. Some of us are good with words I hear.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #9,213 of 29,678
Those SYL vinyl issues reminded me of Devin's other LPs. I have Ki and as a pressing I think it's wonderful. People often talk down on Back in Black but I have a couple of their records (Ki, Traced in Air by Cynic and the recent Cult of Luna) and I think they are the ones with the lowest surface noise in my collection, apart from Massive Attack's Heligoland which flows like liquid. Vertikal has some but Ki and Traced in Air are completely quiet.

Are the other recent Devin records the same (TERRIA); each side blends into the next? I mean, can you hear the start of the next song in the end of the previous side?

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #9,214 of 29,678
The vinyl quality of Back to Black is fine, it's the masters that suck (mostly). They use CD masters a lot.

Quote:
Those SYL vinyl issues reminded me of Devin's other LPs. I have Ki and as a pressing I think it's wonderful. People often talk down on Back in Black but I have a couple of their records (Ki, Traced in Air by Cynic and the recent Cult of Luna) and I think they are the ones with the lowest surface noise in my collection, apart from Massive Attack's Heligoland which flows like liquid. Vertikal has some but Ki and Traced in Air are completely quiet.

Are the other recent Devin records the same (TERRIA); each side blends into the next? I mean, can you hear the start of the next song in the end of the previous side?

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #9,215 of 29,678
Quote:
The vinyl quality of Back to Black is fine, it's the masters that suck (mostly). They use CD masters a lot.

I understand. It's good to have the option for vinyl though. You can't have everything 
tongue.gif

Maybe they would print the alternative master if they had access to one but I don't know if that's their job. Maybe their business plan is to just give the vinyl option. My 2c's.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #9,217 of 29,678
Kirnupimma informed me-I did not not the singer in DSO is Finnish which got me thinking about Finish bands. I did a search on Finnish bands.

So let me give a shout out to a few bands from Finland I have enjoyed.

1. Amorphis-one of my favorite Finnish metal groups. Yes, I like this band-old and new.
  2. Insomnium-excellent 2011 molodeth release that turned me onto these guys...surprisingly good IMO
  3. Swallow the Sun-these guys are so good!
  4. Nightwish-I'm sort of over my power metal fetish. But, I do like some Nightwish: Ocean Born, Century Child and Once. Tarja might be the biggest primi donna that ever walked the planet. I don't care. The GIRL can sing!
  5. Moonsorrow-in a class by themselves for folk BM!
  6.  Wintersun (just heard their newest only-kid of meh, but sound good on a good sound system or HPs), Turisas, Korpiklani, Ensefirum-what's up with the folk tinged, power metlish,  epic mythology metal? I don't know...but a lot of it is pretty cool.
  7. I have not heard very much of Klahmah, Fintroll, Stratavius or Children of Bodom

Definitely sometihg about combining folk, extreme vocals, big, symphonic epic powerish sounds. Maybe metal musicians who are classically trained?

I read that Finland is the 8th largest county in Europe in terms of geographic size and the most sparsely populated which must mean there is a sick amount of metal popularity per capita. I think it's safe to say Finland likes heavy metal!

Holy schiiiit...what kind of heavy metal do you guys put in your water....?

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9,219 of 29,678
Interested to hear the recommendations as I like all of those bands as well. Also, I know we all love Tarja, but have you heard Dark Passion Play? She's no Tarja, but the guys in the band really do some things right in a few of the songs that give them an extremely epic Folk edge.

Quote:
Kirnupimma informed me-I did not not the singer in DSO is Finnish which got me thinking about Finish bands. I did a search on Finnish bands.

So let me give a shout out to a few bands from Finland I have enjoyed.

1. Amorphis-one of my favorite Finnish metal groups. Yes, I like this band-old and new.
  2. Insomnium-excellent 2011 molodeth release that turned me onto these guys...surprisingly good IMO
  3. Swallow the Sun-these guys are so good!
  4. Nightwish-I'm sort of over my power metal fetish. But, I do like some Nightwish: Ocean Born, Century Child and Once. Tarja might be the biggest primi donna that ever walked the planet. I don't care. The GIRL can sing!
  5. Moonsorrow-in a class by themselves for folk BM!
  6.  Wintersun (just heard their newest only-kid of meh, but sound good on a good sound system or HPs), Turisas, Korpiklani, Ensefirum-what's up with the folk tinged, power metlish,  epic mythology metal? I don't know...but a lot of it is pretty cool.
  7. I have not heard very much of Klahmah, Fintroll, Stratavius or Children of Bodom

Definitely sometihg about combining folk, extreme vocals, big, symphonic epic powerish sounds. Maybe metal musicians who are classically trained?

I read that Finland is the 8th largest county in Europe in terms of geographic size and the most sparsely populated which must mean there is a sick amount of metal popularity per capita. I think it's safe to say Finland likes heavy metal!

Holy schiiiit...what kind of heavy metal do you guys put in your water....?

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9,220 of 29,678
Interested to hear the recommendations as I like all of those bands as well. Also, I know we all love Tarja, but have you heard Dark Passion Play? She's no Tarja, but the guys in the band really do some things right in a few of the songs that give them an extremely epic Folk edge.

Thanks Morbid Toaster! You have good taste in music and I always enjoy your informed comments (even though I don't own a record player...OK, I'm still pissed off that I STUPIDLY-DOH-DOH-DOUBLE DOH!!! sold my records a number of years ago-one of the biggest mistakes of my adult life).

Excellent point. Should be mentioned beyond Trarja, that the rest of the band especially that dude, Tuomas clearly have extraordinary classical, composition skills. His symphonic arrangements are just killer. I do have Dark Passion Play. But, I haven't enjoyed it quite as much as the older stuff. For my money, their stuff after Once wasn't as strong, but absolutely worth spinning.

My favorite band in this broad genre is The Gathering...they were tremendous. Kind of a theme though, really.... strong bands with interesting, proggy compositional skills with female vocalists that were in a field of their own. Women, who let's be honest, are not hard on the eyes with vocals dipped in gold. If I were to reverse roles, I would compare listing to Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant or Sound Garden without Chris Cornell. Then, again Tony Iommi found Dio-so there goes that theory!

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #9,221 of 29,678
While most of them are clean vocal Power Metal recommendations I'd give Kamelot a shot. Along with...
(Most of these are Male vocals, but good PM is good PM)

Apocalyptica (driving strings are great. I think their instrumental work is where they shine.)
Pyramaze (Love this one. Get Legend of the Bone Carver. Concept album that just rocks.)
Luna Mortis (More Proggy and the vocals aren't for everyone, but it is a female vocalist.)
Thalion (I'd call them a poor man's Tarja-era Nightwish. Not as skilled, but still some decent music.)

Favorite on this list is probably Pyramaze. Their Melancholy Beast album is good, too...but Legend of the Bone Carver was one of my first Power Metal albums that I really dove into. I haven't heard their third album (Immortal, from 2008).

Here's a great track from Bone Carver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTfktXzPkc

I'd talk about HammerFall some more, but I think I've talked about them enough 'round these parts.

Quote:

Thanks Morbid Toaster! You have good taste in music and I always enjoy your informed comments (even though I don't own a record player...OK, I'm still pissed off that I STUPIDLY-DOH-DOH-DOUBLE DOH!!! sold my records a number of years ago-one of the biggest mistakes of my adult life).

Excellent point. Should be mentioned beyond Trarja, that the rest of the band especially that dude, Tuomas clearly have extraordinary classical, composition skills. His symphonic arrangements are just killer. I do have Dark Passion Play. But, I haven't enjoyed it quite as much as the older stuff. For my money, their stuff after Once wasn't as strong, but absolutely worth spinning.

My favorite band in this broad genre is The Gathering...they were tremendous. Kind of a theme though, really.... strong bands with interesting, proggy compositional skills with female vocalists that were in a field of their own. Women, who let's be honest, are not hard on the eyes with vocals dipped in gold. If I were to reverse roles, I would compare listing to Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant or Sound Garden without Chris Cornell. Then, again Tony Iommi found Dio-so there goes that theory!

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #9,222 of 29,678
While most of them are clean vocal Power Metal recommendations I'd give Kamelot a shot. Along with...
(Most of these are Male vocals, but good PM is good PM)

Sounds good-reminds me some of Helloween. I went through a PM rampage a few years ago. I typically will research a band and get a couple of discs that look essential.  It went like this: Helloween-Gamma Ray-Blind Guardian. I felt I had all the bases covered there. I think old Helloween and Blind Guardian are my favorites.

I do like Kamelot. The Black Halo, surely is one of the better albums in the genre. Actually, I think it transcends PM. And, I've got one Hammerfall-Glory of the Brave seemed to be their "must have".

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #9,223 of 29,678
I honestly feel Crimson Thunder is their definitive work, but Glory of the Brave is a close second. Can't go wrong with either.

One Crimson Night is also one of my favorite live albums ever. Come to think of it...most of my favorite live records are Power Metal. The audience always gets way into chanting at PM gigs.

Quote:
Hammerfall-Glory of the Brave seemed to be their "must have".

Give Silverthorn (Kamelot) a shot. It's their latest and I really enjoyed it. Another band that's switched members a lot, unfortunately. Ghost Opera and Black Halo are probably my favorites of their though.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,225 of 29,678
I'm about to order my Amon Amarth. Finally at a point where I don't want to spend a ton, but I want a new record. Gotta avoid the record store but the need has to be fulfilled. :D

Listening to Dethalbum II right now. Murmaider II. This song is more brutal than the first.

EDIT: Ordered.

Quote:

My most recent purchases
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back