Lets Talk Metal
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #9,196 of 29,678
For fans of bestial black metal, I HIGHLY urge you to get this record. It has an amazing sound and is incredibly well mastered. According to one of the band members though the cd version sucks, and it does. The vinyl version has 100% more punch and depth

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #9,197 of 29,678
Something a little different: Chinese folk/black (more like heavy, honestly) metal, from the awesome obscure bands thread on metal-archives I discovered today. 

It's got er-hu, mongolian throat singing and it's catchy as hell.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #9,198 of 29,678
For fans of bestial black metal, I HIGHLY urge you to get this record. It has an amazing sound and is incredibly well mastered. According to one of the band members though the cd version sucks, and it does. The vinyl version has 100% more punch and depth

On Bandcamp too. I will check out when I get a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #9,201 of 29,678
Quote:
Can't believe I didn't bother to check out Kvelertak before now. Being norwegian I've heard them mentioned a lot, but I never checked them out until they started showing up in the "what are you listening to right now?" thread here.
Part of it is of course that until recently I didn't use music streaming services (like spotify), and all the music I listened to was CD I bought. Also, before I got my D7000s I haven't listened to that much music at home...
Another thing is the fact that they sing in norwegian (particularly the loathed "nynorsk"), and I don't really like the norwegian language. To the patriotic american it must seem strange that I would prefer anything over my "mothers tongue", but the fact is that a lot of things that sound cool in english just sound terribly lame in norwegian. This is the main reason so many norwegian bands sing in english, and I think this goes for the danes and swedish (name an awesome swedish band that actually sing in swedish!) as well, as the three languages are very similar. We also have horrible translators, so I prefer my movies in original English without subtitles. Luckily, we're no fans of dubbing (a practice I absolutely loathe), and only childrens shows and movies are ever dubbed in Norwegian. The rest is subbed, but often badly.
The reason I think Kvelertak works for me is the fact that I can't hear the lyrics
rolleyes.gif
 Though what I can hear I don't like.
I recently tried out the band Staahl and their debut album Rambokniv. They are heavily influenced by Rammstein, and have very pronounced lyrics. I liked the music, but the lyrics really put me off. Staahl also sing in "nynorsk" ('new norwegian') which make them all the less (is this an actual expression?) interesting to me. I won't get into the whole bokmål vs. nynorsk thing, as it's a whole other (and very long) story. The bottom line is that in Norway we have two different written languages (bokmål being by far the most common), and we're forced to learn both even though they're so similar that understanding isn't an issue (but grammar is). This tends to cause strong dislike for the one not used where you grew up. So much so that I (and many others) would like to see nynorsk completely disbanded.

I found your post very interesting. So much great metal comes from Scandinavia. I've always been impressed with the ability many Europeans have being multi lingual, whereas, most of us in the U.S. only speak English. I'm not a musician, but I would think it would be quite a challenge to write lyrics in a second language. I've often wondered why. I figured it was for economic market based reasons.

I can think  several albums such as Kvelertak, Enslaved's Frost, a couple of Dark Throne song's from Tr. Hunger and and Taake's Noregs Vaapen (which I thought was an excellent BM) that were not recorded in English and sound great. I think that first Kvelertak album works especially well in a different language. It's just so much fun to listen to.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #9,202 of 29,678
Quote:
Something a little different: Chinese folk/black (more like heavy, honestly) metal, from the awesome obscure bands thread on metal-archives I discovered today. 

It's got er-hu, mongolian throat singing and it's catchy as hell.

Good find! I'll have to check them out.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #9,203 of 29,678
Quote:
I'm not a musician, but I would think it would be quite a challenge to write lyrics in a second language. I've often wondered why. I figured it was for economic market based reasons.

This, and it's easier to not make stupid sounding lyrics in english for a non-native english ear. It always sounds 'cool'.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #9,204 of 29,678
Quote:
I can think  several albums such as Kvelertak, Enslaved's Frost, a couple of Dark Throne song's from Tr. Hunger and and Taake's Noregs Vaapen (which I thought was an excellent BM) that were not recorded in English and sound great. I think that first Kvelertak album works especially well in a different language. It's just so much fun to listen to.

German was just made for metal.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #9,207 of 29,678
Quote:
This, and it's easier to not make stupid sounding lyrics in english for a non-native english ear. It always sounds 'cool'.

This was part of the point I was trying to make. Didn't know it applied to finnish as well
smile.gif

Lots of english lyrics are impossible to translate to norwegian, because what sounded dark and cool in english will just sound silly in norwegian, even when the original meaning remains unchanged.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #9,208 of 29,678
And, I was just giving props to all the Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, etc. songwriters who are able to write-often very articulate, sometimes poetic, and often thought provoking lyrics. It's probably just because I started listening to the big names at first, but I always thought Immortal and Emperor did a great job creating a mystique around their lyrics. Certainly some of the Swedish Gothenberg lyrics are pretty well thought out-sometimes with quotes from existential philosophers and such. And, CERTAINLY-moving to France-there is someone-some twisted wizard of Oz or something working with the concepts behind Deathsepll Omega. Good Gods! The thought that has gone into their thematic and lyrical concepts is pretty impressive to me from people who are using  "English as a second language".

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #9,209 of 29,678

Khold sing exclusively in their Norwegian native tongue. Black Metal like Darkthrone only with great SQ! They have been on hold for awhile but have a killer back catalog of quality material, if you can handle your metal simple and slow.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #9,210 of 29,678
Quote:
On Bandcamp too. I will check out when I get a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh crap the LP is $10 here

Obviously it's too old to be reviewed but still an absolute treasure to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back