Lets Talk Metal
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #9,166 of 29,702
Quote:
Needles to say in 86 if she was visiting my apt and an 18 year old while I was at school, we could have listened to Invasion Of Your Privacy while drinking Bud out of the can. The coolest metal at the time. .....wow!

Ratt and that album in general had an amazing quality when mixed with under-age drinking. Sorry call me a sicko, truly though that is what its about. The essence of metal.So heavy metal evolved and we then had Reign In Blood which came out in 86. And that was the start of the end of the Ratt sound and Hair Metal as it was called, an the whole scene started to change from what we knew it to be.

Indeed.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #9,167 of 29,702
Quote:
So heavy metal evolved and we then had Reign In Blood which came out in 86

You know what was before Reign In Blood?

Before that?

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #9,168 of 29,702
You know what was before Reign In Blood?

Before that?

And just a couple months before was Master Of Puppets. I was personally making sure that my close neighbors were able to hear it almost was good as me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #9,169 of 29,702
you dare compare master of puppets to seven churches and black metal?

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #9,170 of 29,702
Quote:

When MTV played metal 24/7 instead of rap.

Yes............................those were the days!

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9,171 of 29,702
MTV played music once?

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #9,172 of 29,702
Quote:

I got really excited for Disarm the Descent after hearing In Due Time. Can't wait to check the album out!

I heard few samples in Youtube but I am not feeling excited. I was more excited by As I Lay Dying's last release.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #9,173 of 29,702
Quote:

you dare claim that venom actually played "music" and were anything but a crappy high-in-shock-value bar band?  their "influence" on metal is highly exaggerated other than their clever album title which has stuck :wink:

ah the MTV days, love the hair metal!  i was pretty young in the 80's, slayer scared me and even master of puppets seemed on the edge.  thanks to the lack of internet and living in a smaller Canadian city, i didn't even hear possessed until the mid 90's...but even a 10 year old happy kid could rock out to the crue LOL

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #9,174 of 29,702
Quote:

you dare claim that venom actually played "music" and were anything but a crappy high-in-shock-value bar band?  their "influence" on metal is highly exaggerated other than their clever album title which has stuck :wink:

ah the MTV days, love the hair metal!  i was pretty young in the 80's, slayer scared me and even master of puppets seemed on the edge.  thanks to the lack of Internet and living in a smaller Canadian city, i didn't even hear possessed until the mid 90's...but even a 10 year old happy kid could rock out to the crue LOL

There should be room for all of it. If you were an American kid in the 80's, the influence MOP and RTL is undeniable. I was just a dorky kid into the metal  that was spoonfed to us in the mid 80's-what we now call hair metal, generic hard rock and NWOBHM. I first became aware of Metallica, Anthrax and Slayer in about 83.

Sure, Bathory, Mercyful Fate and Celtic Frost today may seem more significant. But, the fact that there was potentially more daring music brewing in Europe doesn't take away the influence of MOP. It was relevant album that had a lot of influence.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #9,175 of 29,702

You're ignorant as hell. The more aggressive bands from NWOBHM period prototyped extreme metal, Venom and Mercyful Fate were the leaders of it. Also the sarcastic music mockery immediately voided your opinion-based statement.

I never said MoP wasn't influential because it sure was. But it didn't have as broad of reach

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #9,176 of 29,702
November 1st 1982 is when Venom's Black Metal came out a little over three years before Febuary 24th 1986 when Master Of Puppets came out. Venom's idea was maybe not too serious but bands like Mayhem took the album serious. This is Venom's claim to fame. I also think their music is crap.

Melissa 1983 was really the first, first wave of Black Metal I heard. I heard it the month it came out. Yes it was very strange and different. The alter picture on the back. This sheet wasn't Black Sabbath's Ozzy jokes anymore.

Mayhem's Deathcrush was released August 16th 1987 and it is informed they were working on the album forever but just had a hard time making a record.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #9,177 of 29,702
Quote:
Anyone else listen to Grails?

I'm ripping this post from oblivion just to say that Grails is amazing, and thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #9,178 of 29,702
Quote:

Must be a European thing then. Their influence on us was massive when we were young. Everyone thought Venom were on to something but lots of people wanted to use that Satanic image and take it to a more serious level. They inspired a whole generation of metalheads looking for that extra edge. In my opinion, Venom, tongue in cheek as they may be, did plant the seed. They were the first to take punk and NWOBHM and create something dirtier. Without Venom and, for example, Motorhead, black metal these days would sound very different. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #9,179 of 29,702
Must be a European thing then. Their influence on us was massive when we were young. Everyone thought Venom were on to something but lots of people wanted to use that Satanic image and take it to a more serious level. They inspired a whole generation of metalheads looking for that extra edge. In my opinion, Venom, tongue in cheek as they may be, did plant the seed. They were the first to take punk and NWOBHM and create something dirtier. Without Venom and, for example, Motorhead, black metal these days would sound very different. 

My post was as tongue in cheek as (my impression of) venoms music....but I'll take my e-rebuke LOL

I've read a bunch of history books and the American version is Slayer, not Venom, initiated American "black" metal interest...This makes sense in context as tape trading was definitely more local than global (with exceptions of course) and that was the only way to find unique music...

Even the euro-centric versions of metal history footnote venom as influence through style, not music. Mercyful fate, hellhammer, bathory (even possessed) all get ample musical credits...not that hellhammer were any better at playing music than Venom :wink:

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9,180 of 29,702
Quote:

I think you're on to something. Depending which side of the pond we live, I think it does affect the way we think about metal. Someone should do a sociological study in 50 years :).

I grew up in the late 70's and 80's. I always loved rock, classic rock, hard rock and metal. In my late 20's which corresponded with the early 90's I lost interest in music. The Bay area thrash I cut my teeth on seemed boring. Grunge and alt metal was all  over the place. Apart from a few bands like Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Soundgarden, I was bored. Smathing Punkins, etc. just didn't do much for me.

Well, I learned that just becuse you get older, doesn't mean you over stop loving rock....I rediscovered metal in my late 30's again! that was about ten years ago.

I opened up to what we call extreme metal, read some metal journalism. Being from Europe, you might find it hard to believe, but I had never heard of Bathory or Celtic Frost for example, until I started to do a little reading-that book-Lords of Chaos or something like that about Mayhem and the church burings, etc. I was completely ignorant of that side of metal.

Now-I consider myself a fan...............Bathory, Immortal, Markduk, Emperorer, old Gorgoroth, etc. that is, not necesarily arson...

Even though I don't fit the demographic, I found a lot of the first or second wave, whatever you call it, very compelling listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back